Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS has already asked to leave!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Flop is probably the tabloid term for 'disappointment'. And his first season has been disappointing - so far, as he himself would admit in the playing sense. But it's not over yet, that is the point. Zamora once had a very dodgy season for West Ham and then scored goals in the play-off semis and the winner in the final, ending it a hero.

True, but his playing style is completely incapable to how we play. It needs to be adapted! If it is done successfully, then we have our 20+ goal man!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The reason I don't believe the general 'CMS is unhappy/leaving/will be sold' story is that Gus is a thorough guy. Every interview he gives, he talks about preparation, how we need to be careful with our budgets, how he doesn't like open 4-3 type games etc etc. Look at the gambles he's taken, all low risk/high reward ones - Agdestein, Battipiedi, Baz, Vicente - all short term contracts so if things don't work out, he can say goodbye and move on. If they turn out brilliant we've struck gold, and can sign them up on a longer contract.

We didn't sign CMS for £2.5m on a 4 year contract without scouting him. Gus knew full well what his strengths and weaknesses were. And I firmly believe that Gus' intention to build a side around him will be validated in the summer when the lion's share of whatever budget Tony provides will be spent on a strike partner and/or a midfield to properly structure the side. Unfortunately as we couldn't get the players we needed to compliment CMS it's been a plug-the-leaks season, 451 with CMS feeding off scraps has 'had to do' because playing 442 would leave us too vulnerable through the middle.

People write players off too quickly, probably through some frustrated sense of under-recognition whereby everyone thinks they could still 'do a job' for their favourite side. We sit and watch and like to make out we're the experts but the reality is we're not. Unfortunately whilst I realise that, and will give my opinion but try to do so a least a little humbly, other 'I know best' types just make black and white sweeping statements - So and so is shit, or So and so is brilliant. Funnily enough it's always the same people, who were claiming Vicente should f*** off when he was injured, but have gone all quiet now he's playing well. The same people who slagged off Barnes and have shut up now they've been proven wrong.

Like Dicker, Navarro, Barnes or Ankergren, CMS is an easy target. Because on the most basic level we spent a lot of money and he hasn't scored 30 goals, he's easy to criticise. But there's more to football than that, and Gus' stubborn nature tells me he'll be more determined than anyone to make the money he spent on CMS be worthwhile, and considering he's had sod all support, he's still on for a dozen goals this year. Imagine what he could do with better service and protection behind him.

Summary: he's on a 4-year deal. I for one am going to back him for much, much longer than 1 of those years.

This, I mean.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If we had a 20+ goal a season striker we would be up there with southampton.everyone thought CMS was that man but clearly he is not.the fact poyet only ever gives him 60mins max a game now shows you how poyet regards him now. I like his effort but obviously this club just doesnt suit him. He'll be off in the summer but after this seasons performance we wont get the price we paid for him back.shame
This comment cracks me up:lol:
Has anyone actually thought about this properly?its not our strikers or wingers that are the problem,it's spending to much time defending with a defensive outlook,none of our forward players get the support they should because we play with two defensive midfielders all the time,look at our stats on shooting,only donny below us.Its not rocket science to see that we have a team who all chip in with defending,it's to much defending as we struggle to get past the half way line.The likes of noone,Buckley,Vicente,lua lua,CM's,Barnes etc are all seen way to deep in our own half.

Is our central defence that bad that we need to support them with another 5 player all the time,how can our forwards do attacking as once we get near the halfway line we come up against a brick wall.

Two bossy quality central midfielders need and this two defensive midfielder rubbish needs to be scrapped.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
How can you say that? It was, on paper, a good signing. It just has not worked out because he is not good in front of goal.

Did you not read [MENTION=10641]brightonrock[/MENTION]'s post. If not, please do so as it really does explain why both you and RRHC are wrong.

It's here if you want to take the opportunity to learn something or at least come up with something more sensible if you still disagree.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Did you not read [MENTION=10641]brightonrock[/MENTION]'s post. If not, please do so as it really does explain why both you and RRHC are wrong.

It's here if you want to take the opportunity to learn something or at least come up with something more sensible if you still disagree.

Thank you for that???? So, does it make CMS able to put away the (ok limited number of) chances he gets? No. He is too wasteful. Nobody can fault his workrate, but it only goes some way to making up for his lack of quality in front of goal.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
thing is, didn't CMS get 35 goals last season? If his finishing is poor, then just how many chances was he getting!?!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Peterborough created lots of chances and still do. Defending is their weakness.

I'm confused. So he doesn't score many in a team that doesn't create much, and he scores lots in a team that creates lots. So is he a good finisher or a bad finisher by that logic?

FWIW I think he is neither; he's missed a couple of sitters this season (Leicester, Burnley) but scored a couple of very clinical ones (Leeds, Derby). The more we create = the more he scores. This is how I see it. :shrug:

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Thank you for that???? So, does it make CMS able to put away the (ok limited number of) chances he gets? No. He is too wasteful. Nobody can fault his workrate, but it only goes some way to making up for his lack of quality in front of goal.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound so up myself but it's a great summary.

I would agree that CMS has missed some golden chances but I don't think he's had anywhere enough opportunities.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The reason I don't believe the general 'CMS is unhappy/leaving/will be sold' story is that Gus is a thorough guy. Every interview he gives, he talks about preparation, how we need to be careful with our budgets, how he doesn't like open 4-3 type games etc etc. Look at the gambles he's taken, all low risk/high reward ones - Agdestein, Battipiedi, Baz, Vicente - all short term contracts so if things don't work out, he can say goodbye and move on. If they turn out brilliant we've struck gold, and can sign them up on a longer contract.

We didn't sign CMS for £2.5m on a 4 year contract without scouting him. Gus knew full well what his strengths and weaknesses were. And I firmly believe that Gus' intention to build a side around him will be validated in the summer when the lion's share of whatever budget Tony provides will be spent on a strike partner and/or a midfield to properly structure the side. Unfortunately as we couldn't get the players we needed to compliment CMS it's been a plug-the-leaks season, 451 with CMS feeding off scraps has 'had to do' because playing 442 would leave us too vulnerable through the middle.

People write players off too quickly, probably through some frustrated sense of under-recognition whereby everyone thinks they could still 'do a job' for their favourite side. We sit and watch and like to make out we're the experts but the reality is we're not. Unfortunately whilst I realise that, and will give my opinion but try to do so a least a little humbly, other 'I know best' types just make black and white sweeping statements - So and so is shit, or So and so is brilliant. Funnily enough it's always the same people, who were claiming Vicente should f*** off when he was injured, but have gone all quiet now he's playing well. The same people who slagged off Barnes and have shut up now they've been proven wrong.

Like Dicker, Navarro, Barnes or Ankergren, CMS is an easy target. Because on the most basic level we spent a lot of money and he hasn't scored 30 goals, he's easy to criticise. But there's more to football than that, and Gus' stubborn nature tells me he'll be more determined than anyone to make the money he spent on CMS be worthwhile, and considering he's had sod all support, he's still on for a dozen goals this year. Imagine what he could do with better service and protection behind him.

Summary: he's on a 4-year deal. I for one am going to back him for much, much longer than 1 of those years.

You can never quite know EXACTLY how a player will fit in until they have arrived and played, in this case for eight months already.

And your analysis of the Vicente situation is not correct, and happily not the one taken by Gus and the club medical and coaching staff. They, like the fans, knew that his time at Brighton was petering out into an anti-climax, and he was proving a dud signing for all his ability, which was worthless if not on the pitch. So in late Feb/early March, they took a decision to seriously up his training, make him work harder for one last shot, with the results we are all now seeing. So any fan in January who thought he could do more and was a waste of money and ability AT THAT TIME was 100 per cent correct, beacuse it's what the staff thought too.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Really hope this is all nonsense because he is the sort of hard working character and general good bloke the club needs. No, he hasn't scored 30 odd and yes I thought he would score more but let's face it, he hasn't had the service; he works bloody hard for the team; he creates assists; he is a pain in the arse for defenders and he has scored more than a lot of other forwards in other clubs.

Give the guy a break, rumours like this will encourage him to leave, which would be a real shame. Gus has a plan.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Looking at all things this post is, I think, worthy of recall

Well Brightonrock, I think your's was/is an excellent post and I hope that you are still prepared to back him as much as I am. Indeed, Gus and/or Tony Bloom, did not sign him on a four year contract just to let him wither away.

CMS spent a lot of the past season chasing the ball on the wings, that tells you the worth of the man given that he should have had much better service, as a striker, in an area which should have excluded 'the wings', and given the abuse he has had on here, and, hopefully with signings thus far, and with a potential signing yet to come, he will truly come good this coming season.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Well Brightonrock, I think your's was/is an excellent post and I hope that you are still prepared to back him as much as I am. Indeed, Gus and/or Tony Bloom, did not sign him on a four year contract just to let him wither away.

CMS spent a lot of the past season chasing the ball on the wings, that tells you the worth of the man given that he should have had much better service, as a striker, in an area which should have excluded 'the wings', and given the abuse he has had on here, and, hopefully with signings thus far, and with a potential signing yet to come, he will truly come good this coming season.

Bootiful..... exactly my thoughts...

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Well this is exciting... Could go either way!
Absolutely and FWIW I am still happy to pay up if he does leave...my confidence (as well as my quote earlier in the thread) was based on us not being likely to make a loss on him, so if he was deemed a 'failure' then other clubs would not pay the c.£3m they'd have to in order for us to cave, and if he had a good season we'd want to keep him. I'm still not convinced at the moment. Whilst my faith is admittedly shaken by the gathering pace of the rumours, I'm still quietly confident.

Yep. I stand by what I said, I still think he was misused rather than misfiring, although granted his confidence was shot to pieces in the second half of the season. And if he does go, whilst I'll happily take my medicine and pay up on my wager with stumpy tim, I still think my opinion on how he fits into our tactics is correct, it was our failure to properly utilise him as a team rather than his own weaknesses which saw him underperform. Something I think that will be validated if he goes to a side who actually want to thread balls in behind the channels rather than side to side whilst he impotently chases shadows and gets increasingly isolated and frustrated on his own. Unfortunately the tide of opinion was turning against him as the season drew to a close and personally I don't think we'll start as well as we did last season without the title winning momentum, and by default, neither will he. Unless he bangs in 20+ I just can't see anything else but him being the new whipping boy for the moaners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here