Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club's Attitude To Family Stand & Gully's Gang

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
At last! A poster who has actually read my original post.

In summary, what I am saying is that a fan of 30 yrs, and now a parent, we either embrace our young blood that we have worked hard for or lose them to other distractions in today's world.

To the incredibly smart people on here, who have belittled some of my comments,
1) nobody can tell me why it is OK for kids to watch grown ups drink but kids are not allowed in Dick's Bar,
2) why have a sweetstall if like one poster you have to sway your children away from it (its meant to be a sweetstall for gods sake!)
3) yesterday's entertainment, supposed to be part of the Football League's intiative not the club's, was actually pretty poor
4) no where in the ground can you buy chips, a child staple, and they have stopped vans filling this void outside the ground.
5) if the club was really serious about its youngsters, and not just trying to bleed them financially dry, £29.99 for a child's shirt, over priced sweets (Yes, I repeat £1.99 for a sixty pence bar of chocolate with a seagull badge on it, shame on you), it would have researched other clubs like Cardiff, but they didn't.

With a brand new state of the art stadium, opened in the 21st century, where fans still get wet on an average night because the stand was not built big enough, there is absolutely no vision for the retainment of the fans of the future. If I think like this after 30 years of following the Albion, with blue & white running through my veins, what are all the JCL's thinking?

Only time will tell who was right.

This is a wind up, surely?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
0,,10335~9295032,00.jpg

So they have Playstations at Cardiff.

Fair enough. But is that REALLY what going to the football is all about ? Its enough of a job getting my lad off his PS3 at home without having him gawping at it when we go to home games as well (thankfully he's always loved going to the football just for...the football, funnily enough. Even at Withdean).

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Ok - I have been to every home game and cup game this season with my little girl who is six. I go alone with her as in our house it's mum that loves Brighton and dad is not that keen on the football and works weekends.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our afternoons out at the football - she is a good kid and easily pleased - she looks forward to her hot dog and I take a thermos of soup for her which she has at half time. I take her a bag of crisps or popcorn - I didn't even notice the candy store until yesterday but my child dislikes sweets so I get away with that one!!!

Millie was thrilled yesterday that a guy made her a balloon seagull and she watched the juggler outside which was good.

Friday she received her pack from Gully and when she came home from school she was like a dog with two tails that finally it had arrived.

She sits and reads the programme and loves it because everyone speaks to her and I have found the stewards to be really helpful when we got there early a couple of times and she was bursting for the loo and they let us sneak up to 1901 and use the loos.

The fans are friendly and even on the train back to Falmer we shared a carriage with some rather big burly Leeds fans who were chatting to her - in fact the gap was massive between the train and the platform and one of them lifted her off the train and said 'hold your mummy's hand' so you stay safe it's very busy.

I am absolutely happy with the club and the way they are with the kids. It's a footie stadium - I do think though there should be an alternative to Dick's bar where you could get a coffee if they are not allowed in the bar.

If mine was allowed in Dick's bar she would sit down and behave but I realise not every parent is probably as strict as me.

She loves Gully, Sammi and Sally and aspires to be a Gully's girl one day - I find that more worrying than the lack of sweets!!!!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
As for somebody who DOES do it better...Cardiff City by a country mile. I was staggered when we visited there at the start of the season. They understand that they are competing in a modern world where parents and children have a hundred and one other distractions, but they ensure punters want to go there on matchday, rather than to an alternative establishment.

One thought, why would I want to take children to a cardiff city game. A hooligan rife area where the adults dont think twice about having a good punch up. No thanks, Cardiff can stay where it is and have the best kids entertainment in the world, it doesnt change the fact that going to watch cardiff is far far more dangerous than other grounds!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My two kids were first introduced to football at withdean. They loved it. They love falmer even more.

Yes they enjoyed the entertainment yesterday. But that was literally a sideshow.

As for Dick's bar, I understand the rules. Not sure my 4 and 2 year old would sit still enough in there. But in the east stand they can move about the concourse while I have a couple of pints. My wife enjoys it too but she is a football nut also.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Ok - I have been to every home game and cup game this season with my little girl who is six. I go alone with her as in our house it's mum that loves Brighton and dad is not that keen on the football and works weekends.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our afternoons out at the football - she is a good kid and easily pleased - she looks forward to her hot dog and I take a thermos of soup for her which she has at half time. I take her a bag of crisps or popcorn - I didn't even notice the candy store until yesterday but my child dislikes sweets so I get away with that one!!!

Millie was thrilled yesterday that a guy made her a balloon seagull and she watched the juggler outside which was good.

Friday she received her pack from Gully and when she came home from school she was like a dog with two tails that finally it had arrived.

She sits and reads the programme and loves it because everyone speaks to her and I have found the stewards to be really helpful when we got there early a couple of times and she was bursting for the loo and they let us sneak up to 1901 and use the loos.

The fans are friendly and even on the train back to Falmer we shared a carriage with some rather big burly Leeds fans who were chatting to her - in fact the gap was massive between the train and the platform and one of them lifted her off the train and said 'hold your mummy's hand' so you stay safe it's very busy.

I am absolutely happy with the club and the way they are with the kids. It's a footie stadium - I do think though there should be an alternative to Dick's bar where you could get a coffee if they are not allowed in the bar.

If mine was allowed in Dick's bar she would sit down and behave but I realise not every parent is probably as strict as me.

She loves Gully, Sammi and Sally and aspires to be a Gully's girl one day - I find that more worrying than the lack of sweets!!!!!

Great post!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Finally Tracey arrives as the voice of reason. Nice one x

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
I really don't understand some people....

I take my two sons (ages 9 and 6) to the family stand and they absolutely love it. They go to watch a football match and support their team (be good if everyone did!!). They meet up with their friends whilst the dads have a pre match pint or two, and this adds to the pre match atmosphere. I pop into a newsagent on the way to the ground and buy them each some sweets for half time which they enjoy. They watch the premier league game on the concourse TV's. Yesterday the pre match entertainment was a bonus, and is not expected every week (if at all). They will ocassionally get a bit wet on the way to the ground, at the ground, or on the way home, and I have been wise enough to buy them coats with hoods. When we get home they read through the programme

Maybe my boys are easily pleased....or perhaps they are just proper football fans

Or maybe your a proper dad!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
kids expect too much these days and usually get it which isn't doing anyone any favours in the long run :annoyed:

Could not agree more.

I honestly thought the OP was on a wind-up when he complained about the sweets not being sold in glass jars. Seemingly not though. Looks like he's expecting the Amex to be a cross between Alton Towers and Zippos Circus.

Look, Pigtails. Its a football ground. The main event, the main attraction, is the football. If your kids need a pre-match waterslide, a performance of The Lion King on ice, and someone doing somersaults on stilts to attract them along, then you're probably better taking them to Butlins.

If they're bored, then you're probably getting there too early. If they're still bored during the game then you may have to accept that maybe they just don't like football all that much.

Agree with this. Added to it though, perhaps they are going at too early an age to enjoy it. Every parent who supports the Albion will want their kids to catch the Albion bug. Some I feel though force the issue somewhat and this leads to bored kids and the need for frankly ridiculous things like PS3's in the ground.

As a kid, I pushed and pushed to go and by the time I was allowed, I was like a coiled spring and INSTANTLY fell in love with it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Price comparison for child STs in family stand area, with adult paying full price.

Cardiff: Under 10s free, Under 16s £49
Brighton: Under 10s £49, Under 16s £99.

It's better, but they also have a bigger capacity to fill, and it's a cheaper part of the country. If we had 30,000 the family area MIGHT be bigger, perhaps another block of the Lower East. I still don't think Brighton is too bad at all on that front.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'm still waiting to hear exactly what it is that Cardiff City do for kids on matchdays thats apparently so bloody amazing.

Long on whinge, short on detail.

I did notice you have to pay to join the Cardiff equivalent of Gully's Gang / Team Stripes. Not that forward thinking IMO. I bet we have more members.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Do you have any suggestions how it could be made better for you and your family that you can communicate to the club?

Suggesting that Cardiff do it better does not put meat on the bones - seriously I would appreciate if you can explain what you would like to see done at The Amex!

An aside - I have just asked my daughter (came to the Barnsley match) if she wants to go again to which she replied "Yes".
I asked what was it you enjoyed, was it the jugglers, pie, paint etc etc - " No - the Goals" was her answer.
Maybe my children are just not high maintenance!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One thought, why would I want to take children to a cardiff city game. A hooligan rife area where the adults dont think twice about having a good punch up. No thanks, Cardiff can stay where it is and have the best kids entertainment in the world, it doesnt change the fact that going to watch cardiff is far far more dangerous than other grounds!

The new Cardiff stadium is a big improvement on Ninian Park, but apart from a game console which was switched off, I didn't see anything that would appeal to kids. We were stuck in the corner not behind the goal. There was a big screen at the opposite end of the ground. There was a betting kiosk there so if the OP was objecting to gambling as well as drinking that would be a negative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here