Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club's Attitude To Family Stand & Gully's Gang

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yes, I read yours and everybody elses with great interest. I answered your Q when I replied that Cardiff City do it right.

How many of you posters bothered to go the many miles down to South Wales to support your team and watch the football with passion, all things that I have been accused of not doing on here?

Those that did, would have seen for themselves in amazement the efforts the club go to. In terms of their junior facilities they are PREMIER league. For all our talk of UEFA standard ground and facilities, it takes a 'foreign' team (being Welsh) to show us how it is done.

Many of you posters are right, football is the main item, but if that is the case why are so many stadiums across the country half empty? Either you wake up and realise that families have so many other options rather than just football these days, or in five years time, read the Amex rather than the Ricoh Arena. Your choice.

Ironically, to reinforce my point against so many posters on here, not only did Cardiff start off with a decent facility recognised by the FA when they first opened their new stadium, but year on year, where others have lost fans, they have increased season ticket and crowd numbers.

Surely, if we want to be the best, we would go to the existing best, Cardiff in the eyes of the FA, see what they do, and then transplant it back to Brighton. Why wouldn't you? But no instead we are too obsessed with real ale and the likes, which smacks or short termism.

Out of interest did your kids prefer the cardiff experience to the Amex experience? Did it particularly matter to them that an adult's view is that Cardiff cater for kids better?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The new Cardiff stadium is a big improvement on Ninian Park, but apart from a game console which was switched off, I didn't see anything that would appeal to kids. We were stuck in the corner not behind the goal. There was a big screen at the opposite end of the ground. There was a betting kiosk there so if the OP was objecting to gambling as well as drinking that would be a negative.

Im still not sure what the OP was going on about, I dont think the OP knows really.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The Family Stand was competely sold out prior to the start of the season so to suggest the club isn't doing enough to attract and retain young fans is a nonsense. I'm a s/t holder in the east stand. I take my 2 boys (10 and 6) and what excites them is the experience of watching a football match with 20K other fans. They don't need or want the distraction of playstation zones (a la Cardiff) and jugglers for their entertainment. Their excitement comes from watching their new heroes Buckley and Noone bombing down the wing and CMS knocking in the goals.

Exciting football in a state of the art stadium is what's going to keep them interested not sideshows and gimmicks. Thank you Mr Bloom and Mr Poyet, you have two young 'uns hooked.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I blame the parents. All kids should be dragged to the football. Providing they've finished their shift down the pit first.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hello Everybody,

This is my first ever posting, so please be gentle!

As a supporter of many years, the response to a question recently asked by Return of the Rev, on "Ask the club" has angered me enough to write now.

When asked about our younger supporters Insider dismissed his question by saying "the family stand is family friendly, and there is artwork and a sweetstall".

With respect, either he is not a parent or he has not been in the East Stand on a matchday.

The poster was correct in saying that the concourse is like a pub. As soon as we enter the turnstile, we are faced with large amount of men standing around drinking, which is very ironic given that as the poster also mentioned children are not allowed in Dick's Bar.

Yes there is some amazing artwork in the stand, but I had to go on a tour to see it. Normally, understandably fans stand in front of the artwork eating and drinking.

As for the sweetstall, they have to be joking. We all know that this was supposed to be a betting outlet which again seemed inappropiate for a family area. Now it is a sweetstall, the club is ripping off parents by charging high prices for their fayre. The children pester, the adults pay.

£2 for a bottle of drink, £5 for a plastic (not even glass) jar of mini football chocolates, £1.99 for a small bar of chocolate. Surely they must be joking!

Yesterday's efforts with the juggler and funny linesmen were to be commended, but lets be blunt for a family day it did not amount to much.

If the club is serious about investing in its future fans, then to put it simply it needs to properly invest in its young fans, not take them for granted.

I mean this in the way that in the past when we were desperate for young blood, the kids were given sports bags, baseball caps, watches. Now that they are tied in, this year they got a pencil, stickers, notepad and a fixture list! Sum total, about 50p each if that.

To cap things off nicely, at Withdean we used to get soaked, but then we all did. Now in a £105M stadium, against West Ham, we got absolutely soaked still. Why? How?

If we want to keep 10,000 young fans, we need to do better, otherwise we will have to do it all over again in the future.

After leaving the Goldstone a whole generation was lost. If the club is not careful all its efforts through Dick Knight in recent years will be wasted as new fans become disenchanted.

(An incensed season ticket holder in the family stand)

How many of you posters bothered to go the many miles down to South Wales to support your team and watch the football with passion, all things that I have been accused of not doing on here?

Surely, if we want to be the best, we would go to the existing best, Cardiff in the eyes of the FA, see what they do, and then transplant it back to Brighton. Why wouldn't you? But no instead we are too obsessed with real ale and the likes, which smacks or short termism.

You seem to like moaning a lot and appear to contradict yourself. Also what’s with the love – in of Cardiff?

And Yes, I did bother to go to Cardiff, along with 3 of my kids. The only thing they had extra was the playstation – was it you hogging it with your kid then?

You say that a betting outlet is inappropiate for a family area, but Cardiff had one. They were also selling alcohol – did you disapprove?

If you don’t like the prices at the sweetstall go to Asda or Sainsbury’s beforehand – get organised!

As for Gully’s gang, it’s free – what more do you want? Did you ever pay for your kids membership a few years back when it was £10 a go? I did.

If you are getting wet then you must be sitting at the front – why didn’t you choose seats at the back then? It rains a lot here you know!

Stop moaning and be grateful for what we have, or go and support Cardiff!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just read all this thread, and "It wasn't face painting - just a young girl with a STAMP" is the most hilarious thing I've seen on here in ages - one for the NSC time capsule I think.

Classic NSC. Well done, OP!

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Me and my 4 year old sit in the North stand, he loves the atmosphere (its down to parenting on the bad language, but sure you can hear that everywhere).

We have no gripes and he can be as lively as a 4 year can be. He has a hotdog every game he attends, even the away ones. All the guys that sit around us always talk to him and call him our lucky mascot (because he missed all the losses). He defintely doesn't need a PS3 at a football stadium, he is there for the atmosphere and football itself....

what I love the most is the fact that he now knows most of the players, understands the game and loves playing it. His interest in football has increased because of the albion, so its a win win situation for me.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
As a dad who takes his boy as sth's and a few aways as well I really can't believe the op isn't on a classic wind up, of Southern Sid proportions, but I'll bite, because sometimes I enjoy it.

My lad was 5 when I took him to Withers in the South stand, a night game v Rotherham.

Crap first half, and big time freezing cold, with the swirling wind and sleet shower making it well unpleasant.

At half time, the lad couldn't even hold his hot dog, due to the cold, and I saw a tear run down his face, due totally to the cold.

I decided to leave and take him home, and walked back to PP station, only to find the trains had been cancelled, so therefore had to walk back down to London Road to get a bus, and walk up to Brighton Station for the train home to Worthing.

I thought there and then that I'd lost him as an Albion supporter, thinking no way he would want to go through that experience again.

But he did, and still does.

He never needed his face painted, or balloons or jugglers, he went to see the football with his dad, and a little of the life learning that comes with that.

Even at the age of 5, he understood that it was the football that we were going to see, anything else was a bonus, certainly not the other way round.

He's now 12, and accepted very much so as one of the boys so to speak, with the guys and girls, that we together have a beer with pre, and sometimes post match beer with.

To finish off, I have to take issue with a couple of things the op said.

Chips are not a staple diet, and you can always take in your own pop and sweets.

Also to moan about the quality of the Gully's gang stuff is attrocious, 1 per cent of something has to better than 100 per cent of nothing.

And to bring Cardiff City with a playstation into this is laudable.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
As a dad who takes his boy as sth's and a few aways as well I really can't believe the op isn't on a classic wind up, of Southern Sid proportions, but I'll bite, because sometimes I enjoy it.

My lad was 5 when I took him to Withers in the South stand, a night game v Rotherham.

Crap first half, and big time freezing cold, with the swirling wind and sleet shower making it well unpleasant.

At half time, the lad couldn't even hold his hot dog, due to the cold, and I saw a tear run down his face, due totally to the cold.

I decided to leave and take him home, and walked back to PP station, only to find the trains had been cancelled, so therefore had to walk back down to London Road to get a bus, and walk up to Brighton Station for the train home to Worthing.

I thought there and then that I'd lost him as an Albion supporter, thinking no way he would want to go through that experience again.

But he did, and still does.

He never needed his face painted, or balloons or jugglers, he went to see the football with his dad, and a little of the life learning that comes with that.

Even at the age of 5, he understood that it was the football that we were going to see, anything else was a bonus, certainly not the other way round.

He's now 12, and accepted very much so as one of the boys so to speak, with the guys and girls, that we together have a beer with pre, and sometimes post match beer with.

To finish off, I have to take issue with a couple of things the op said.

Chips are not a staple diet, and you can always take in your own pop and sweets.

Also to moan about the quality of the Gully's gang stuff is attrocious, 1 per cent of something has to better than 100 per cent of nothing.

And to bring Cardiff City with a playstation into this is laudable.

Well said PR and have to agree, the lad is a CREDIT to yourself and the Albion:thumbsup:

I'm surprised you haven't taken him in Dicks bar yet. ???

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Well said PR and have to agree, the lad is a CREDIT to yourself and the Albion:thumbsup:

I'm surprised you haven't taken him in Dicks bar yet. ???

I always say he's a credit to himself, I just nudge him along the way.

Funny you say about Dick's Bar though, I was thinking about going in there with me and young H before the Coventry game.

Are we allowed?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Hello Everybody,

This is my first ever posting, so please be gentle!

As a supporter of many years, the response to a question recently asked by Return of the Rev, on "Ask the club" has angered me enough to write now.

When asked about our younger supporters Insider dismissed his question by saying "the family stand is family friendly, and there is artwork and a sweetstall".

With respect, either he is not a parent or he has not been in the East Stand on a matchday.

The poster was correct in saying that the concourse is like a pub. As soon as we enter the turnstile, we are faced with large amount of men standing around drinking, which is very ironic given that as the poster also mentioned children are not allowed in Dick's Bar.

Yes there is some amazing artwork in the stand, but I had to go on a tour to see it. Normally, understandably fans stand in front of the artwork eating and drinking.

As for the sweetstall, they have to be joking. We all know that this was supposed to be a betting outlet which again seemed inappropiate for a family area. Now it is a sweetstall, the club is ripping off parents by charging high prices for their fayre. The children pester, the adults pay.

£2 for a bottle of drink, £5 for a plastic (not even glass) jar of mini football chocolates, £1.99 for a small bar of chocolate. Surely they must be joking!

Yesterday's efforts with the juggler and funny linesmen were to be commended, but lets be blunt for a family day it did not amount to much.

If the club is serious about investing in its future fans, then to put it simply it needs to properly invest in its young fans, not take them for granted.

I mean this in the way that in the past when we were desperate for young blood, the kids were given sports bags, baseball caps, watches. Now that they are tied in, this year they got a pencil, stickers, notepad and a fixture list! Sum total, about 50p each if that.

To cap things off nicely, at Withdean we used to get soaked, but then we all did. Now in a £105M stadium, against West Ham, we got absolutely soaked still. Why? How?

If we want to keep 10,000 young fans, we need to do better, otherwise we will have to do it all over again in the future.

After leaving the Goldstone a whole generation was lost. If the club is not careful all its efforts through Dick Knight in recent years will be wasted as new fans become disenchanted.

(An incensed season ticket holder in the family stand)

:facepalm:
Seriously....Brighton is a great club and makes a massive effort with the future fans, i mean, 3 mascots, i say no more. My son is obsessed with the albion(because of the gullys gang idea).
:bhasign::albion2::bhasign:

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
:amex::falmer:
Ok - I have been to every home game and cup game this season with my little girl who is six. I go alone with her as in our house it's mum that loves Brighton and dad is not that keen on the football and works weekends.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our afternoons out at the football - she is a good kid and easily pleased - she looks forward to her hot dog and I take a thermos of soup for her which she has at half time. I take her a bag of crisps or popcorn - I didn't even notice the candy store until yesterday but my child dislikes sweets so I get away with that one!!!

Millie was thrilled yesterday that a guy made her a balloon seagull and she watched the juggler outside which was good.

Friday she received her pack from Gully and when she came home from school she was like a dog with two tails that finally it had arrived.

She sits and reads the programme and loves it because everyone speaks to her and I have found the stewards to be really helpful when we got there early a couple of times and she was bursting for the loo and they let us sneak up to 1901 and use the loos.

The fans are friendly and even on the train back to Falmer we shared a carriage with some rather big burly Leeds fans who were chatting to her - in fact the gap was massive between the train and the platform and one of them lifted her off the train and said 'hold your mummy's hand' so you stay safe it's very busy.

I am absolutely happy with the club and the way they are with the kids. It's a footie stadium - I do think though there should be an alternative to Dick's bar where you could get a coffee if they are not allowed in the bar.

If mine was allowed in Dick's bar she would sit down and behave but I realise not every parent is probably as strict as me.

She loves Gully, Sammi and Sally and aspires to be a Gully's girl one day - I find that more worrying than the lack of sweets!!!!!
this is the best post ive seen on nsc for weeks
please mods keep this thread ive not laughed so much in ages chips staple diet of kids you couldent make it up :rotlf:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry if I sound particularly grumpy, but the opening post sounds absolutely ridiculous.

If you wanted to see clowns at a Brighton game, you are a season or three too late.

Prices, in my experience, are expensive (for add ons) wherever you go. Either learn to say no or supply your own 'treats'.

Isn't joining the various gangs, free? If so, I'm astounded that you are complaining of the quality of freebies.

As for getting wet... I have memories of playing football in the rain. Care to name some stadia where you are GUARANTEED to stay dry if you are in the front section of the ground. The only one I can think of is the one in SW19 and they paid (almost) £60m for a retractable roof... just a roof.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't understand what the problem is. Did you go to the Goldstone as a kid? Were you given sweets there? Did you stay completely dry?

I don't get it, as I kid I was hooked by the atmosphere and the football, not because the club gave me a baseball cap or there was a sweet stall. Quite how you can be 'incensed' by this I really don't understand. Either kids like the football, or they don't. I don't see how bribing them with sweets etc is going to make any difference to whether they become lifelong fans or not.

Thread closed in post #3.

It's a football match, what more does she want? As a kid I used to go in the North stand with my brother and go in the kids bit down the front and stand by the gate because I couldn't see over the wall. Happy days, it was the buzz of the match that hooked me as well, not sweets or clowns.

Sometimes I really hate "new football" fans.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Oh dear. Please can you make it the first and last thread. In all the time I have used NSC, this is possibly the most stupid topic I have ever read. Sally, you have summed up the spoilt kids of today's generation perfectly.....

It makes me proud to be a father of 4 lovely kids who seem capable of loving every minute of the matchday experience without any gimmicks. We go as a family - me/wife/kids/grandparents - and all the kids talk about for days after is the football, the atmosphere, the away fans etc. Not a mention of sweets, clowns, jugglers - they don't even talk about the rain, and don't seem too mentally scarred yet that I have a beer and a chat while they mess about.

I went to Cardiff ( without the kids) and came away thinking what a bland, sterile place.

What next, no winners like school sports day? Sweet Jesus.........

---
I am here: Google Maps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here