Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So because he did well as a manager with us, the sun shines out of his arse and he can do no wrong ? No need for them to make this totally unnecessary statement at all.

They are doing what any (good) union would do. They are offering their further support, criticising the decision without using overly emotive terms, threats or specifics and then bigging up their member.

Therebwas more chance of me pissing in the queens handbag than there was of the club changing their mind at appeal. Given the hearings were last Thursday and Friday and its taken until now to make a decision, you can be sure that the lawyers will have been all over it.

It may be that we will soon fund out just how good he lawyers have been.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
Of course they should make a statement. There are two sides in this situation. Even in a court of law there is a prosecution & a defence who can make statements.

Events that take place in a court of law are normally matters of public record, although not always. An internal disciplinary hearing is not a matter of public record.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
External appeal yes, and that is simply to challenge process, not grounds.

.... but it won't be about whether he stays or goes, it will allow the club to appoint/announce a new manager and coaching staff, hopefully the appeal will be just about compensation or not as the case may be.

Of course you can go to a tribunal about the grounds of your dismissal.

Amazes me how many seem to think this is all over. It is just the clubs internal procedures that have been completed and, if he is to go to a tribunal, he had to complete this before going on to then external process.

As for the LMA statement, they can roll that up and stick it where the sun don't shine. This isn't about his record on the pitch but more to do with what has happened off it. Oh, and why are they seemingly giving credit to Poyet for the Amex, including it seems, raising the £93m for the project. The club were going to move to the Amex irrespective of who was the manager.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How is Bevan surprised? He has been suspended and then sacked for months! Hardly a surprise, and he knows a lot more about it than we do.

I think his comments almost go beyond defending Poyet there, and verge into meddling. The stats are irrelevant. He could have won the Champions League, but IF he did something really bad, then it's a matter of principle.

And if he didn't, let's hear the defence (plus the original charges would be nice).

He goes on to say that he doesn't believe the charges amount to gross misconduct and so that mat be the reason for his 'surprise'?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Gus lost all credibility for me with the comments he made after the Palace game. When we needed him to encourage and motivate us and look positively to the start of the new season, he chose to focus on his own personal needs to the detriment of the club. I remain saddened that things ended the way they did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Events that take place in a court of law are normally matters of public record, although not always. An internal disciplinary hearing is not a matter of public record.

They are still entitled to make a statement, especially when they are backing their clients integrity. It will also stand him in good stead for future employment.
Surely even the fans who didn't like him can be gracious in victory? Onwards & upwards with Oscar.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It's a big call for Poyet whether he takes this further. So far it has largely been a PR exercise and jumping through hoops, but this is the first real test of whether he thinks he did anything wrong.

It would be public, messy, and both parties would suffer in court or at a tribunal. But ultimately one would suffer a lot more, and IF that was Poyet he has a lot to lose as a young manager with many big-earning years potentially in front of him. His next move was crucial, and if stuff emerged that damaged him badly, it might set his career back years.

There will be an element of poker from his lawyers to start with, but if he doesn't have much of a hand that can only last so long.

Best post I've read on NSC in yonks.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
He goes on to say that he doesn't believe the charges amount to gross misconduct and so that mat be the reason for his 'surprise'?

in fairness though as his union rep he is unlikely to say gus was bang to rights

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Don't tell me you were one of the 'supporters' who booed Gonzalez?

Strangely no. Much as it pains me to sound so naive, the only time I have booed at a football game was 1997 Doncaster, when a 'fan' from the West Stand terrace threw a banana onto the pitch. Being naive, I thought people really understood why this is something you don't do anymore.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Agreed - how the hell is the statement about us moving into a new stadium at a cost of £93million relevant?? Is Gus now claiming that he funded that out of his own kindness??!
Bevan comes across as a bit of a sycophant and surely he should be encouraging the way the club has gone about this disciplinary procedure rather than just and arbitrary sacking?

Have you been on the stadium tour? When I did they mentioned on a number of occasions that Gus had lots of input into how certain parts of the stadium were constructed, such as the curved dressing room, and the positive images around the dressing room area.

Not sure it justifies the statement above, but he did play an active role.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Hopefully not but i supect you are right.

Why hopefully not? I think the fans deserve to hear both sides to the story. There has just been a huge void the past couple of months that needs a few answers in my opinion.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The same Watford game that even if we won, we STILL wouldnt have made the play-offs ? He gave that player 2 games to prove himself and he didnt - so he left, joined Barnsley and decided to be an Albion player and let 5 goals in against Barnsley last year !!

Thanks for everything Gus, shame your ego took over. Now onwards and upwards on Oscar the Coach.

We have been a proper club throughout by following correct procedures unlike most clubs who sack first, then ask questions later.

What you have written is twaddle my friend. It was the third to last game of the season, and the play-off places hadn't been decided at that point. I probably wouldn't have gone 'if there was nothing riding on it'. The 2-2 draw, aided by the GK's gaffe for one of the goals effectively ended our play-off push. I concede that other teams results went in their favour over the last three games, but GP wasn't to know that would happen, as they would have been in the future. Still no reason to play a duff stopper :eek:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Have you been on the stadium tour? When I did they mentioned on a number of occasions that Gus had lots of input into how certain parts of the stadium were constructed, such as the curved dressing room, and the positive images around the dressing room area.

Not sure it justifies the statement above, but he did play an active role.

Yeah true, and I could understand that if they hadn't put the cost of the stadium, which kind of undermines the validity of what they are trying to get over - that he had to manage the club through a period of change on and off the pitch..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports