Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Confirms Poyet Dismissal

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Very much this, hopefully the information barrier comes down and Oscar can start talking to the press (rather than just Seagulls Player)

Similar thought. He made us a team to be proud of and the baton now changes hands. Good luck Gus and would be nice to hear from Oscar.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I wonder how costly (financially) any court action by Poyet would be and if unsuccessful would he have to pay the clubs costs too. This may deter him from doing so.

I still think this story will run and run.

Could prove very costly to either side in this battle ??? The only real winners being the lawyers!

I'm think whatever happened, we are going to hear about in the next few months. Just hoping there's no impact on our football this season!

Thanks Gus for all the great bits, not liking you for the way things ended though :albion2:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a big call for Poyet whether he takes this further. So far it has largely been a PR exercise and jumping through hoops, but this is the first real test of whether he thinks he did anything wrong.

It would be public, messy, and both parties would suffer in court or at a tribunal. But ultimately one would suffer a lot more, and IF that was Poyet he has a lot to lose as a young manager with many big-earning years potentially in front of him. His next move was crucial, and if stuff emerged that damaged him badly, it might set his career back years.

There will be an element of poker from his lawyers to start with, but if he doesn't have much of a hand that can only last so long.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
The club cannot release details of the disciplinary action taken again Poyet, nor the reason for that action since they are covered by data protection laws. If Poyet was to go to an employment tribunal and claim unfair dismissal, either on the grounds of a lack of proper process or proper grounds, then details might well come out. Such hearings are held in public.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I doubt he would risk his whole management career which is very young on draging this through court for what is in real terms football wise very little.

Adious Amigo and thanks for the memories

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We still don't know and doubt we ever will but we should be told why and what happened. We don't need to know everything but we've been told next to nothing.
And I'm surprised that many people aren't more curious about why the manager who brought us our best football ever and highest league finish for 30 years was sacked.
It should never have been allowed to end like this.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Good luck Gus and Oscar.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope he moves on and finds greener pastures, just as i hope the same for us now. Really, though, i suppose, i'll be gladdest of all to hear word from Oscar now and what he plans to do with us. We're all better off thinking of the positives of what's to come.

That sums up my thoughts.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
He signalled his intent by playing our third choice keeper against Watford near the end of the 2011/12 season, whose glaring error ended our play-off hopes. He was attempting to 'play' at being a manager, instead of doing the correct and professional thing...

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
If he does take us to court, who would want to employee him as a manager while this is going on in the back ground. If he wants a job back in management quickly, then he needs to move on and leave any court case behind.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The outcome of the appeal doesn't surprise me at all although I'm sad to see Gus leave the club under such a cloud. It will be interesting to see how the events of the past few weeks impact on Gus' standing as a manager in the eyes of any potential new employers. Will a Premiership club or top Championship club now be prepared to take a chance on him? We shall see.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We still don't know and doubt we ever will but we should be told why and what happened. We don't need to know everything but we've been told next to nothing.
And I'm surprised that many people aren't more curious about why the manager who brought us our best football ever and highest league finish for 30 years was sacked.
It should never have been allowed to end like this.

Agree with the way you've put that. If you've watched the club for 40 years, it's not unreasonable to know why one of the best managers in that time has been summarily sacked. And it's not like this has happened behind closed doors. The main news is already known, it's just the club's reason.

I don't actually see why there is any legal need to keep it quiet, especially as it would benefit the club. There has been no agreed settlement, so there can't be a confidentiality clause signed yet.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So the appeal fails so he must of done some bad things . Reason alone to be happy he's gone . Can og now start acting as the manager or will he need to change roles again to do this

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The club cannot release details of the disciplinary action taken again Poyet, nor the reason for that action since they are covered by data protection laws. .

That's just plain incorrect. Under Data Protection rules, they should probably destroy his bank account details but that's about it. You are definetely allowed to announce why people have been sacked. Look in the paper today, there will be details of people being sacked

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He signalled his intent by playing our third choice keeper against Watford near the end of the 2011/12 season, whose glaring error ended our play-off hopes. He was attempting to 'play' at being a manager, instead of doing the correct and professional thing...

The same Watford game that even if we won, we STILL wouldnt have made the play-offs ? He gave that player 2 games to prove himself and he didnt - so he left, joined Barnsley and decided to be an Albion player and let 5 goals in against Barnsley last year !!

Thanks for everything Gus, shame your ego took over. Now onwards and upwards on Oscar the Coach.

Now hopefully for the meantime we can go back to being a proper football club.

We have been a proper club throughout by following correct procedures unlike most clubs who sack first, then ask questions later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here