Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarke sacked at WBA

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Veron was a really good player, but was just ill suited to playing in an English setup as he needed to have the chief playmaker's role with the team built around him. He didn't have that licence at either United or Chelsea and they could never quite fit him into their system as he didn't have the discipline to slot into their midfield and could be a liability. When he was at Parma and Lazio in Italy, he was really pivotal to those teams. He was the biggest reason for Lazio winning Serie A under Sven Goran Eriksson at the turn of the millennium.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Veron cost Man United 30 million didn't he?

£28.1 in 2001 and Fergie insisted everyone that slated him were F'ing idiots but we are talking West Brom here and Steve Clarke - Do you really think he would have got the job at W Brom if Hodgson hadn't gone for the England job?

A few days ago many said AVB was going to be justifiably sacked but Steve Clarkes termination is wrong?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Apart from the fact that it seems harsh to say a player has 'failed' when he has only played for the club for 3 months, who could West Brom have bought for £6 million with vast Premier League experience then?

How about Lukaku on loan? I'd be livid if my club didn't bag Lukaku when he had been there signed by my manager who knew him from a previous club. Ok so Everton probably splashed a bit of the Moyes cash on wages to him but he was in the Bag(gies) how did they lose him?

I can't even see Chelsea preferring to loan him to Everton rather than W Brom so how did that happen?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Do you really think he would have got the job at W Brom if Hodgson hadn't gone for the England job?

A few days ago many said AVB was going to be justifiably sacked but Steve Clarkes termination is wrong?

Well probably not as there may well not have been a vacancy, although Hodgson has tended not to stay in any club job for a long time, so it is possible he may have decided to move on even if the England job didn't come up. But Clarke has served his apprenticeship a long time, it's not like they gave the work experience placement the job.

Re: AVB v Clarke. It's comparing apples with oranges. Tottenham are a team that are competing for a Champions League place. West Brom, regardless of where they finished last season, are first and foremost focused on surviving in the Premier League. If they stay up, that's their first mission accomplished, beyond that they are really a club that is geared towards consolidating. AVB shouldn't be under any pressure at the moment, but having spent £110 million in the summer, Levy/ENIC will expect to see a return on that investment and that means making the Champions League. You don't spend that amount of money to be playing on ITV4 on Thursday night year-on-year.

West Brom struck lucky by manipulating the loan system last season. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's levelled out for them this season, but there's no real danger of them going down and as long as they are safe, that's a good season for them really.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
How about Lukaku on loan? I'd be livid if my club didn't bag Lukaku when he had been there signed by my manager who knew him from a previous club. Ok so Everton probably splashed a bit of the Moyes cash on wages to him but he was in the Bag(gies) how did they lose him?

Because Everton are a much bigger club than West Brom and Mourinho wanted him to experience playing football in a team that plays a similar style to the one he wants to develop at Chelsea in order to further Lukaku's career.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
£28.1 in 2001 and Fergie insisted everyone that slated him were F'ing idiots

Ferguson wasn't the best at dealing with criticism. Veron was arguably his worst signing.

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Veron was a really good player, but was just ill suited to playing in an English setup as he needed to have the chief playmaker's role with the team built around him. He didn't have that licence at either United or Chelsea and they could never quite fit him into their system as he didn't have the discipline to slot into their midfield and could be a liability. When he was at Parma and Lazio in Italy, he was really pivotal to those teams. He was the biggest reason for Lazio winning Serie A under Sven Goran Eriksson at the turn of the millennium.

You could say the same for Shevchenko at Chelsea. Still a terrible signing.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
You could say the same for Shevchenko at Chelsea. Still a terrible signing.

You can be a terrible signing, but not be a terrible player. Veron didn't fit in at United, but he was excellent in Italian football. Shevchenko went to Chelsea when he was quite some way past his best and had lost his mobility and movement.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Well probably not as there may well not have been a vacancy, although Hodgson has tended not to stay in any club job for a long time, so it is possible he may have decided to move on even if the England job didn't come up. But Clarke has served his apprenticeship a long time, it's not like they gave the work experience placement the job.

Re: AVB v Clarke. It's comparing apples with oranges. Tottenham are a team that are competing for a Champions League place. West Brom, regardless of where they finished last season, are first and foremost focused on surviving in the Premier League. If they stay up, that's their first mission accomplished, beyond that they are really a club that is geared towards consolidating. AVB shouldn't be under any pressure at the moment, but having spent £110 million in the summer, Levy/ENIC will expect to see a return on that investment and that means making the Champions League. You don't spend that amount of money to be playing on ITV4 on Thursday night year-on-year.

West Brom struck lucky by manipulating the loan system last season. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's levelled out for them this season, but there's no real danger of them going down and as long as they are safe, that's a good season for them really.

West Brom have been in freefall this season, last season if you take Lukaku's goals out would be bad. Clarke won 7 out of 32 games this year, Clarke was a gamble that seemed to work at first but was now failing - Theres got to be another reason Mourinino didn't want Lukaku this season, you don't loan a "big club" like Everton a 17 goal striker that you could do with.

all Mourinios teams are big physical teams and Lukaku would fit in that team easily. Lukaku said that Chelsea didn't want him and Moriniho doesn't like to admit his mistakes (look at Mata) , watch Chelsea try and muscle Arsenal next week like Man City did today, I can't see a change of style so far and next week they need to play like old Chelsea not Everton under Martinez.

i can't see Lukaku going back if the special one is still there

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think W Brom are in Danger of going down, on two occasions when Sunderland before were relegated W Brom went with them!

Gus could have his pick of Championship Clubs next season Sunderland, West Brom, Reading and Fulham!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Palace, Sunderland and Norwich are my teams to go down.

West Brom will be safe.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
West Brom have been in freefall this season, last season if you take Lukaku's goals out would be bad. Clarke won 7 out of 32 games this year, Clarke was a gamble that seemed to work at first but was now failing - Theres got to be another reason Mourinino didn't want Lukaku this season, you don't loan a "big club" like Everton a 17 goal striker that you could do with.

all Mourinios teams are big physical teams and Lukaku would fit in that team easily. Lukaku said that Chelsea didn't want him and Moriniho doesn't like to admit his mistakes (look at Mata) , watch Chelsea try and muscle Arsenal next week like Man City did today, I can't see a change of style so far and next week they need to play like old Chelsea not Everton under Martinez.

i can't see Lukaku going back if the special one is still there

Chelsea fans that I speak to will tell you that they don't think Lukaku is ready to play for them yet. Scoring at West Brom and even Everton is one thing, but it's a step up at Chelsea. It's mainly being highlighted because of his goalscoring form at Everton and because none of Torres, Ba or Eto'o are scoring regularly. If Mourinho thought Lukaku was ready and a better option though, he wouldn't have loaned him out.

I think while you might say a leopard can't change its spots, Mourinho knows he has to get Chelsea playing more attractive football to keep his job because Abramovich wants Chelsea to be winning with flair, so that means Mourinho can't just get Chelsea playing the way they did in his first spell. He will still find a way to accommodate muscular players and diminutive flair players like Mata tend not to be his favourites, but despite this, to stay onside with Abramovich he has to get Chelsea playing with style. I think Lukaku will be back there next season, but probably not first choice.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Chelsea fans that I speak to will tell you that they don't think Lukaku is ready to play for them yet. Scoring at West Brom and even Everton is one thing, but it's a step up at Chelsea. It's mainly being highlighted because of his goalscoring form at Everton and because none of Torres, Ba or Eto'o are scoring regularly. If Mourinho thought Lukaku was ready and a better option though, he wouldn't have loaned him out.

I think while you might say a leopard can't change its spots, Mourinho knows he has to get Chelsea playing more attractive football to keep his job because Abramovich wants Chelsea to be winning with flair, so that means Mourinho can't just get Chelsea playing the way they did in his first spell. He will still find a way to accommodate muscular players and diminutive flair players like Mata tend not to be his favourites, but despite this, to stay onside with Abramovich he has to get Chelsea playing with style. I think Lukaku will be back there next season, but probably not first choice.

Good discussion, good points BTW but I can't agree.

I don't think he can change his style, with the right players his style works which is why it failed with RM with the wrong players. Also I would say scoring for W brom in the prem is harder than with Chelsea, he poaches Goals and plays a bit like Drogba who Mou loves.If Mou does not win anything this season he will be gone by next.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Chelsea fans that I speak to will tell you that they don't think Lukaku is ready to play for them yet. Scoring at West Brom and even Everton is one thing, but it's a step up at Chelsea.

How does that work, then? He'd be playing AGAINST the same level of opposition.

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
I am inclined to agreed that Mourihno can't change his style too radically. I would be surprised if Abromovich hired him with that expectation, other than his rather impressive track record (and therefore being the best available candidate), I suspect the main priority at Chelsea is to win the league title. Mourihno has proved he can manage a team to do this. The style will only be an issue this year if Chelsea are not winning...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here