Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chrystal Palace And The Poisoned Chalice Of Doom

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
People saying we'd rather be in the Permier League. Well yes, but at least making a decent fist of trying to stay up. Not getting dicked week in week out.

They are a shambles for sure. But, any team getting promoted only has survival as an objective and just 10 wins would likely do that

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
People saying we'd rather be in the Permier League. Well yes, but at least making a decent fist of trying to stay up. Not getting dicked week in week out.

When Holloway went up with Blackpool THAT was a season you could say, we went down but we enjoyed the ride. Palace aren't even having a ride. They've bought how many new players and the fans hate the manager. Scraping through the play offs papered over those cracks for a bit. Granted in the years to come the money they make will be a boon, but right now, we have every right to have a chuckle at Palace. They're doing terribly.

We are having an average, injury riddled season. Doesn't mean we can't have a laugh at them.

This with bells on.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Anyone who says they wouldn't have liked a crack at the PL this season...regardless of getting tonked every week..is either lying or deluded.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Well, they're not having a crack are they?

Just hope they hang on to Holloway. He's doing an excellent job. A new manager might spoil it all.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
OK, So we lost to them in the play-offs. But the prize that they ultimately claimed at Wembley has condemned them to a season of humiliation and misery. Money aside, I know where I would rather be.

has to be one of the most stupid posts in the history of NSC. Well done.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Anyone who says they wouldn't have liked a crack at the PL this season...regardless of getting tonked every week..is either lying or deluded.

I would have loved to have had a crack at the PL this year. I'd like to think that we'd have bought sensibly like Cardiff and Hull, who have made promising starts and may be in with a chance of survival; they're certainly stronger than last year. However, Palace seem to be royally ballsing up the golden opportunity that has come their way and will probably end up treading water in the Championship due to a legacy of signing half a new squad of mediocre players on a crippling wage bill. Allow us to have a chuckle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm anti Premier League, (because I don't pay the bills) so am not to fussed how things have turned out.

We would be making a better fist of it than Palace.
TB Burke and Barber would have had a better summer than Parish and Holloway.

That said it still wouldn't have gone our way, so all eyes would have been on Gus.
What happens going forward at Sunderland will give us a taster of what was coming our way, only x10, as it would have been his team, with us.
It'll be interesting.

I would have loved to have had a crack at the PL this year. I'd like to think that we'd have bought sensibly like Cardiff and Hull, who have made promising starts and may be in with a chance of survival; they're certainly stronger than last year. However, Palace seem to be royally ballsing up the golden opportunity that has come their way and will probably end up treading water in the Championship due to a legacy of signing half a new squad of mediocre players on a crippling wage bill. Allow us to have a chuckle.

Yep. Plus Palace will have to contend with that age old problem for Clubs being relegated - their better players, having had a taste of the PL, will want away leaving them with the shite. Which is why so many relegated Clubs struggle on their return to the Championship - plus they have still not addressed their ground issue.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I'm anti Premier League, (because I don't pay the bills) so am not to fussed how things have turned out.

We would be making a better fist of it than Palace.
TB Burke and Barber would have had a better summer than Parish and Holloway.

That said it still wouldn't have gone our way, so all eyes would have been on Gus.
What happens going forward at Sunderland will give us a taster of what was coming our way, only x10, as it would have been his team, with us.
It'll be interesting.

not sure about having a good summer if we had gone up - I don't think gus would have stayed even if we had got promoted. All conjecture I know. Just disappointing we never got the chance to see how we would have faired in the EPL this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
not sure about having a good summer if we had gone up
You can't honestly think the way the Albion hierarchy is set up, we would have trawled around hoovering up anybody they could on 31.08.

As said by NW who knows whether our signing would be up to the job, but they would have been well considered.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I think we would as well. The problem with us and Palarse, them making the Premiershit had to happen. Because their finances were still in a right mess and all their creditors had to be paid off and most of that 120 Million disappeared. That's why they had to sign Chamakhaha on a free, Jones on a loan. The only money they used was from the Zaha sale.

In our case we would of had money to spend very wisely and planned our survival. But it would of depended on what type of players whoever was in charge (could of been Gus) would of wanted.

But whats happen has happened, and Palarse are paying the price for it!

Love the way some of you lot claim you know the financial ins and outs of CPFC, but really know nothing. How is Manuel from Barcelona doing Basil? :jester:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
You can't honestly think the way the Albion hierarchy is set up, we would have trawled around hoovering up anybody they could on 31.08.

As said by NW who knows whether our signing would be up to the job, but they would have been well considered.

I was alluding to the fact that we probably wouldn't have had a manager in place to get signings in - I am pretty sure we missed out on bridges signature due to the managerial shenanigans - not sure many "quality" signings would have been made under these circumstances regardless of the albion hierarchy. As said all conjecture - but I sure would have liked for us to have had the opportunity to ply our trade in the EPL. That dark night in may will live a long time in the memory.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, they're not having a crack are they?

Just hope they hang on to Holloway. He's doing an excellent job. A new manager might spoil it all.

Indeed, they are most definately not having a crack at it.

Luckily 75% of the voters on BBS want to keep 'Ollie' to carry on his good work. Fools. :lolol:

Lopez's Left foot

Oct 21, 2013
OK, So we lost to them in the play-offs. But the prize that they ultimately claimed at Wembley has condemned them to a season of humiliation and misery. Money aside, I know where I would rather be.

The end of the day, they are getting dicked on but they are £120 million better off for it and should be pretty strong next season with most of their players being decent Championship standard. It's not like we are doing well either, if we were top 6 then I could kind of undertand
were you were coming from.

Lopez's Left foot

Oct 21, 2013
Yep. Plus Palace will have to contend with that age old problem for Clubs being relegated - their better players, having had a taste of the PL, will want away leaving them with the shite. Which is why so many relegated Clubs struggle on their return to the Championship - plus they have still not addressed their ground issue.

QPR and Reading seem to be doing well this year and have retained most of their squad's from last year.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The end of the day, they are getting dicked on but they are £120 million better off for it and should be pretty strong next season with most of their players being decent Championship standard. It's not like we are doing well either, if we were top 6 then I could kind of undertand
were you were coming from.

Shame for them they've wasted 40-50 million of that 120 million ( which they'll get over the next 5 years) on transfer fees, agents fees, and wages.

Not a lot left to do up Selhurst, which is probably why Charming is stalling on producing any plans :lolol:

And on a multi threaded message board, it's always possible to discuss separate topics independently, and there are threads of course about ourselves elsewhere.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
19th in the Premiership, or 15th in the Championship...errrr.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry I fail to see where this wasted 50 million figure has come from?? Palace spent about 12 million on new players, and would have to pay players whoever they maybe, so every club in all leagues must lose loads if they look at the wages 1 or 2 seasons ahead!!

Last season Palace posted 3 million loss and BHA 8 Million loss....so with the 10+ million for Zaha and the 63 million from promotion the extra 8 -10K on crowds and the bigger sponsorship money and all that goes with the Premershite league.

To say BHA are better not to have gone up is just mad...even if Palace are getting a thrashing every week, for a team who by their fans on admission were a mid table Championship side and ( probably still are ) to be fighting with the big boys is a (monetary) dream come true.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There is no way I would want to watch our team get twatted and embarrassed in the PL every week if we were not ready for it. The novelty of big name opponents would soon wear off as the goals continued to flow into our net and we trudged away from yet another humiliation.

I am realistic enough to to know we would struggle in the PL, but I would like to watch us try and be competitive in games. Palace are anything but competitive, and no amount of jumping around in black hoodies singing other teams songs is going to hide that fact. They are having an awful time of it, and the huge amount of money they have has already been WASTED on a bunch of woeful charlatans. I'm happy for us to progress at the right speed and to have at least a notional chance of survival in the PL should we get there. At the moment we are nowhere near ready and have plenty of work to do, and I am patient enough to wait for us to complete that work.

Anyone who is envious of a team that loses 4-1 at home to Fulham on national tv is surely the deluded one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here