Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christine Ohuruogu - what a legend

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The independent committee, headed by leading lawyer Charles Flint QC,

There is no suggestion, nor any grounds for suspicion, that the offence may have been deliberate in order to prevent testing. The omissions are too haphazard for any such suspicion to arise.
"The athlete was tested negative on several occasions during this period and has always co-operated with doping control officers. She did notify changes to her schedule on many occasions but failed in these three instances. Those failures are understandable given all the circumstances.
"Accordingly, if the committee had... a discretion to order a fair penalty, we would have imposed a sanction of three months, consistent with the [World Anti Doping Agency] code. But... the committee is obliged under IAAF rules to impose a fixed penalty of one year's ineligibility."

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The independent committee, headed by leading lawyer Charles Flint QC,

There is no suggestion, nor any grounds for suspicion, that the offence may have been deliberate in order to prevent testing. The omissions are too haphazard for any such suspicion to arise.
"The athlete was tested negative on several occasions during this period and has always co-operated with doping control officers. She did notify changes to her schedule on many occasions but failed in these three instances. Those failures are understandable given all the circumstances.
"Accordingly, if the committee had... a discretion to order a fair penalty, we would have imposed a sanction of three months, consistent with the [World Anti Doping Agency] code. But... the committee is obliged under IAAF rules to impose a fixed penalty of one year's ineligibility."

Absolutely no difference whatsoever - she broke the rules, therefore as guilty as anyone who manlines smack.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely no difference whatsoever - she broke the rules, therefore as guilty as anyone who manlines smack.

Don't be ridiculous. She was punished for her mistakes on failures within testing notifications and was not within the rules but no one within the sport thought she had taken any banned substance......
What has mainlining smack got to do with anything. Performance enhancing is it ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't be ridiculous. She was punished for her mistakes on failures within testing notifications and was not within the rules but no one within the sport thought she had taken any banned substance......
What has mainlining smack got to do with anything. Performance enhancing is it ?

Where's the bit about no one withing the sport thought she had taken a banned substance?

Because all I can see is a statement from a committee.

Also they had no proof or evidence she was doing to avoid detection so they can't state otherwise and put that bit in there as they have to be as clear as possible in case there's an appeal.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Regardless, I was cheering on Ohrururogu last night and it was a gutsy run. I thought she'd left herself too much to do but she never gave in and gave her absolute all dipping for the line, breaking the British record in the process. She now has 6 medals in major championships, including 3 golds which puts her up there in the top echelon in terms of the best female athletes these isles have ever produced. Whether that's enough in the eyes of some people is another matter, .

Why would how many medals she won make anyone less suspicious about her?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Regardless, I was cheering on Ohrururogu last night and it was a gutsy run. I thought she'd left herself too much to do but she never gave in and gave her absolute all dipping for the line, breaking the British record in the process. She now has 6 medals in major championships, including 3 golds which puts her up there in the top echelon in terms of the best female athletes these isles have ever produced. Whether that's enough in the eyes of some people is another matter, but I take my hat off to her achievement, not least because her medals have been won over several years with it looking like she had passed her peak only for her to find further inspiration to win again.

To be honest, your arguments are not helping her cause. The manner of her victories (how she has SO much more left than everyone else over the last 50m) is one of the very things that does make (some) people suspiscious. That and the fact that her physique at times over her career, has looked close to unnatural.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
CO is never going to get any great weight of public / media love behind her. Partly because of the cloud cast by those missed tests, but more so simply because she is a munter.

True story.

And therein lies the inequality of it all: Andy Murray is ugly as sin but makes every front page (even when he was losing finals). Nobody talks about his looks or bad hair. To be a popular sportswoman in the eyes of the British media, you need to be deemed fit by the writers. Even in 2013, female athletes are judged on their looks in a way that males rarely are.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
And therein lies the inequality of it all: Andy Murray is ugly as sin but makes every front page (even when he was losing finals). Nobody talks about his looks or bad hair. To be a popular sportswoman in the eyes of the British media, you need to be deemed fit by the writers. Even in 2013, female athletes are judged on their looks in a way that males rarely are.

I quite fancy CO but she is still a cheat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed - tarnished you don't miss three drug tests unless you have something to hide - a cheat for me.
Not unless the thing she's hiding is the fact she's a fookin idiot. :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's very unfair Edna.

The male athletes get judged on how fit their WAGS are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not to mention the oppression convicted drug cheat Linford Christie had to suffer over his penis.

Sally Gunnell.

The defence rests.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

Apart from Ennis and Ohuruogu the most popular British sportswomen I think of are Rebecca Addlington, Ellie Simmonds, Laura Trott and Laura Robson. I think that's a 50/50 split between attractive and otherwise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apart from Ennis and Ohuruogu the most popular British sportswomen I think of are Rebecca Addlington, Ellie Simmonds, Laura Trott and Laura Robson. I think that's a 50/50 split between attractive and otherwise.
Oh how quickly we forget Ms Pendleton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here