Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie to Sunderland (Merged)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I never believed that Poyet and Oatway could really work together but maybe they make a good combination. Gus has the top-level experience and the continental ethos. Charlie adds a bit of old-fashioned English grit. Maybe it will be the combination that gets Sunderland kick-started this season, though it sounds like a big task.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Good Luck to Charlie a great bloke and a man I am proud to have as a mate
Done loads of stuff for this club on and off the pitch and great with the kids football set up I was involved in
Done his badges now and glad he has got his chance with a club that my Dad supported until his dying day

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Some of us said Gus would take Charlie to whichever job he got but weren't believed (perhaps farly considering he wasnt the direct assistant manager)....

Amazing how a fake rumour about a punch up and a ridiculous belief that Gus only looks out for himself can become "the truth". I think you'd be suprised just how many of his backroom staff Gus wanted to take to his next job.

But again...he's selfish isnt he?

The punch up wasn't between them two . Those in the know have alluded to the facts but those not in the know twisted this .

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Great job for all of three of them. But I'm particularly pleased for Charlie. In my view all three were treated terribly by the club, but Charlie in particular deserved better given the many many years of loyalty he gave us.

They'll do well. Gus is a Champions League manager in the making, this is just the next stepping stone towards that. I'm sad we couldn't provide that for him.

LOL!! Tell me this is a wind up! Unless you mean manager of Barry Town in the early qualifying rounds??

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Good Luck to Charlie a great bloke and a man I am proud to have as a mate
Done loads of stuff for this club on and off the pitch and great with the kids football set up I was involved in
Done his badges now and glad he has got his chance with a club that my Dad supported until his dying day

Great post :clap:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just heard on 5Live official confirmation of Gus to Sunderland, together with his backroom team of Tanno and Charlie. Interesting!

To be fair, Gus had to employ two others and they are the only ones that could give him continuity in this department. Who else could he have got? and if there was a fall out patching it up helps them to all get the job. Gus would have had to be clear about who he would bring in and would have assured Sunderland that everything was fine. He needs them as much as they need him really.

Aug 23, 2011
Are you aware that Charlie has his UEFA A badge? He only needs the Pro badge to progress further. He's not just the resident clown as many would like to believe.

but surely you can't be any good at your job if you crack jokes and don't always appear to take yourself seriously at times. Its obvious to me (because NSC said so) that Charlie isn't any good and only had his previous job because he used to play for us and Gus found him amusing

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are you aware that Charlie has his UEFA A badge? He only needs the Pro badge to progress further. He's not just the resident clown as many would like to believe.

Being at Sunderland gives him the chance to go for the Pro badge.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I appreciate some of the posters on here are evidently mates with Oatway but that doesn't preclude others from offering opinions on him.

I have no idea what he's like as a coach, I just know that his idea of "banter" used to make me cringe, and his programme column was generally painfully unfunny. To me. Just a personal perspective.

Will be interesting to see how his personality translates with a bunch of footballers who've already done for a man as charismatic and famous as Di Canio.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Awesome. I think Poyet and co will do really, really well.

I just can't see it. I have absolutely no axe to grind against him/them, they were with us, they left, we've moved on. Nothing else matters to me, but looking at the team he's got to work with, they look very under-skilled at that level. When they played Liverpool (me wanting Pool to win) was most worried abot Craig Gardener, and if he's the best they've got, they're going to fall short whatever the manager does. They could spend in Jan, we'll see, but at the moment, I would have them in the group of relegation possibles along with Palace, maybe West Ham, possibly Fulham.

* note I say Palace not out of rivaly. But they also look woefully short at the mo, and I can't see them coming anything other than bottom.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
they'll have to sign CMS or Oatway won't have any hilarious jokes

Or Kuszczak so he can tell us all about the brilliant nickname he came up with for him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here