Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie to Sunderland (Merged)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a patronising post. Severe dyslexia is no measure of someone's intelligence.

It isn't patronising at all. Of course somebody's ability to read and write has an effect on their capacity to complete the written assesments required in taking the badges.

Credit to Oatway for overcoming that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It isn't patronising at all. Of course somebody's ability to read and write has an effect on their capacity to complete the written assesments required in taking the badges.

Credit to Oatway for overcoming that.

You're right, I take that back, especially, when Totton's post is even worse. Many people have underestimated Charlie and his abilities. They have just written him off as good old Charlie.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
What a patronising post. Severe dyslexia is no measure of someone's intelligence.

Its not patronising at all, I have dyslexia. I haven't read his book, but someone told me he couldn't read or write until few years ago and had it rough growing up. He has managed to go from playing lower league football to coaching in the Prem, I would say thats making the most of what hes got. And over coming alot of issues, far from patronising, its the opposite.

From Amazon:
'Charlie Oatway was born into a family who were often in prison and always on the wrong side of the law. Unable to learn his lessons in school, Charlie was soon involved in petty crime and it seemed his life would follow that of his dad and uncles. He managed to become a professional footballer, but when he was sent to jail himself, it seemed that there was no turning back for this bad lad either.

Tackling Life is the story of how Charlie managed to turn his life around. Even though trouble was always just around the corner, his fighting spirit made him a success on the football pitch. And after becoming captain of Brighton and Hove Albion, Charlie went public with his problems with reading and writing. His book tells how people can be inspired and educated through the power of football.'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its not patronising at all, I have dyslexia. I haven't read his book, but someone told me he couldn't read or write until few years ago and had it rough growing up. He has managed to go from playing lower league football to coaching in the Prem, I would say thats making the most of what hes got. And over coming alot of issues, far from patronising, its the opposite.

From Amazon:
'Charlie Oatway was born into a family who were often in prison and always on the wrong side of the law. Unable to learn his lessons in school, Charlie was soon involved in petty crime and it seemed his life would follow that of his dad and uncles. He managed to become a professional footballer, but when he was sent to jail himself, it seemed that there was no turning back for this bad lad either.

Tackling Life is the story of how Charlie managed to turn his life around. Even though trouble was always just around the corner, his fighting spirit made him a success on the football pitch. And after becoming captain of Brighton and Hove Albion, Charlie went public with his problems with reading and writing. His book tells how people can be inspired and educated through the power of football.'

I had already said I take it back but there are also degrees of dyslexia.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
You're right, I take that back, especially, when Totton's post is even worse. Many people have underestimated Charlie and his abilities. They have just written him off as good old Charlie.

So in your view Charlie is a good coach? IMO he is not a good coach. I said in my post that I admire him for making the most and more of his ability.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So in your view Charlie is a good coach? IMO he is not a good coach. I said in my post that I admire him for making the most and more of his ability.

As has been said previously in this thread he has got his UEFA A badge which doesn't come easily. I thought the Albion played well under Gus & co, and Charlie was an integral part of that set up. I was fortunate enough to watch some training sessions and thought the players listened to him and paid him due respect even though it was done with humour. Funnily enough Vicente, who has played at a high level, said that he respected Charlie but not Gus.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good luck to them all. They brought us some great times and if they return to the Amex I will be on my feet applauding.

So disappointed with how it all ended, but I choose to remember the good times.

This.

I wasn't certain how I'd respond to Gus et al moving on, but that's what we all need to do now, move on.

PG

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
As has been said previously in this thread he has got his UEFA A badge which doesn't come easily. I thought the Albion played well under Gus & co, and Charlie was an integral part of that set up. I was fortunate enough to watch some training sessions and thought the players listened to him and paid him due respect even though it was done with humour. Funnily enough Vicente, who has played at a high level, said that he respected Charlie but not Gus.

Very good and that's your opinion. I wasn't patronising as I said I admire him but don't think he is a great coach. Didn't know he had his Uefa A licence!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

When Charlie got the gig in Gus's managerial team he always struck me as being Gus's 'enforcer' in the dressing room and getting the role relying to some degree on him being a former Albion captain who was less technically minded about the coaching side and more about him being there to kick ass. However I then saw Charlie in a new light when I heard he gained his UEFA Coaching badge.

Of course if things hadn't gone pear shaped for us last season Charlie would now be a coach for us in the Prem. Instead he ends up at Sunderland which I'm a bit surprised about to be honest (I thought he might be an innocent casualty of Gus's departure and not sure of swift re-employment) but good luck to Charlie, hope he does well.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

How on earth would you know whether he is a good coach or not?

Have you been to training?

The fact Poyet hass taken him with him to the Prem and promised it to him to moment they left Brighton would suggest that Poyet thinks he's very good.

I am probably JUST going to trust Poyet's judgement regarding a person who he worked with every day...

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
How on earth would you know whether he is a good coach or not?

Have you been to training?

The fact Poyet hass taken him with him to the Prem and promised it to him to moment they left Brighton would suggest that Poyet thinks he's very good.

I am probably JUST going to trust Poyet's judgement regarding a person who he worked with every day...

Sorry I must learn not to have an opinion! Must follow the NSC crowd!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have an opinion by all means, but posters generally explain why they have that opinion, which is what I did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry I must learn not to have an opinion! Must follow the NSC crowd!

But how can you possibly have an opinion on his ability at a skill which you've never witnessed? That's the point.

In my opinion you're not very good at your job. I have never seen you at work but I just reckon you're not very good at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here