Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Charity,do you give?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We give monthly to the Food Pantry - it’s shameful that so many people (often working) struggle with food bills. My wife volunteers her time there as well and I give my time as a trustee to a homeless / women at risk charity in Brighton. One of the best things about being retired is having the time to do something useful.

Donate a modest monthly sum by standing order to a couple of medical charities and always drop a little something into the foodbank when in the supermarket.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I've worked in the charity sector for years but don't give so I'm more of a LEACH than anything else

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
https://veteransraffle.uk/ I take part in the Veterans Raffle every month, only a small charity, top prize 25k. Cost me a tenner a month. Half goes to the prize fund and the other half goes to the local Veterans Breakfast Club in Littlehampton... you can choose where the charitable half goes... Being part of a motorcycle club, we raise thousands a year for various charities.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Very rarely except donating unwanted items to charity shops, usually hospice shops. Reason - far too much donated to the large charities is wasted on advertising, marketing, fancy offices, high salaries for CEOs and the like. And if it's a charity working overseas it's likely that much of your hard earned cash ends up in the pockets of the local dictator.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Give 2 days of time a year to charitable activity through work however cutting back on the DD’s for now as coming off my fixed rate next month both on mortgage and energy

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I once went to an Argus fund raising dinner at the Metropole Hotel. The compare who was a TV newsreader during his introduction said every penny was going to charity. Somebody on our table said The Argus were paying him I think £2k
A lot of charities are lucrative businesses. Not for profit is another good one. less than 50% helps in some cases, although 2/3 seems to be closer to average.

Millionaires getting plied with 'comforts' (as opposed to transparent payment) on TV to ask poor people to donate their kids dinner money to something or other seems to be a national past time now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Almost everything I wear and my kids wear comes from a charity shop :)
THats the way we all dressed ( better than most do too) in the late 80's and early 90's. It's hard now as the donations get intercepted before reaching the rails . . . I just hope the charities actually make from this.

I've recently taken a lot of very good quality, and nigh on new clothes and household items to a few charity shops I know do make a difference ( not the corporate ones)

If I lay off the cheese for a few months I may go and buy them back 😂

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
After 10 interest rate rises, price of food and everything else rocketing and work dropping off, no, I can't afford to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here