Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Charity,do you give?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Everybody will be different and it's not always about money it could be volunteering etc. I donate blood and chip in for Wikipedia. We don't have a regular charity bank transfer but prefer to give what little we have to our chosen choice. On a personal note and i think that it's putting staff in an awkward position is when at the check out at some shops you can be asked do you wish to make a charitable donation? My second point is when tends to be at a supermarket where it's a charity event and the collector's have contact less terminals what's wrong with a little bit of your spare or not so spare cash ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I donate to Battersea. Bloke knocked on my door a few years ago and found me in quite a good mood.

I also disagree with the "would you like to roundup and donate to charity" thing the checkouts ask. No, I would not. Food isn't cheap these days. Here's an idea - why don't Tesco et al round-up on our behalf? They can afford to.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I donate monthly to cancer research uk, centre point, and the trusses trust.

Cancer research is my insurance policy as lots of people in my family died of cancer - centre point as homelessness shouldn’t be a thing and the trussel trust as the Tory ****s have totally f***ed people and no one should go without in a first world country. Tory donors certainly don’t go without.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I give to Marie Curie. But that’s it. I’d support them whatever political party was in power and whatever help the government gave them. My donation to them is because they have been fantastic through several hard times with family members, out of my personal gratitude. Completely a-political.

I do help people out if I can. I bought someone a bus ticket the other day when their pass failed to scan and they were stuck. And I’ll buy food or soft drinks for people I come across at work if they need it.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes, give to a number of charity and voluntary organisations every month, not mention supporting an annoyingly large amount of friends who cannot stop running or cycling!

I can afford it so it seems rude not to help out where I can.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Yes, donate monthly to St Barnabas and will chip in when friends / NSC users ask for donations via My Giving etc. So I'm guilt free when I say "no thank you" to the additional requests at shops for charitable donations.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I prefer to donate regularly by direct debit/from payroll (AITC and a couple of other personal choices). Plus the occasional one-off like DEC appeals. Food banks. Funerals when they ask for it instead of flowers.

Don't generally do things like round-ups (you've chosen that charity, I haven't!), and never give door-to-door or to street chuggers, except sometimes when they do pre-advertised organised bucket collections e.g. at the Amex for the Martlets.

And "forty notes more or less", does that count? :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Small monthly subscriptions - cancer and kids. Probably could/should pay more - but that's what it is. Round up in supermarkets, not a chance.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I actively support a local hospice charity, I NEVER give to chuggers, I rarely give to TV appeals, and I won't give to friends or family fundraising unless I believe I'm giving to a credible charity whom ensure that a reasonable amount gets to the cause and isn't overly spent on administration and CEOs wages etc. I also don't support if I feel the individual is gaining from my donation, without putting up their financial commitment, or the fundraising event isn't worthy of financial support. Strangely most charities need time, as much as money, and this is where, I feel, people can make the biggest difference. I have an issue with the capital funds behind some charities and religious groups, and feel that could be better distributed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Guide dogs for the blind and green peacemonthly donations. I'm also a member of the Royal Navy Association and we meet every Friday and raise money for UK lifeboats.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I donate to Battersea. Bloke knocked on my door a few years ago and found me in quite a good mood.

I also disagree with the "would you like to roundup and donate to charity" thing the checkouts ask. No, I would not. Food isn't cheap these days. Here's an idea - why don't Tesco et al round-up on our behalf? They can afford to.
The thing that bugs me most about that is the company issues press releases about the money they have raised for good causes, you are paying for some PR for the company, the real reason they do it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Monthly smallish donations to some charities on DD.
Food banks and Crisis at Christmas .

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Used to give on a regular basis to Surrey/Sussex air ambulance, but stopped when I started being regularly overdrawn before the end if the month. In better times I would give to select charities on an irregular basis, in amounts that were slightly painful to give, because I feel it isn't giving if it doesn't hurt a little bit, it's just the crumbs from your table otherwise. Also avoid most large charities, Cancer Research UK is one I detest, it's a business, Marie Curie is a better place to put your resources.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All my small change goes to Raystede. I've even had people give me money for my Christmas light display...'to help with the electric'! That goes to Raystede as well. The wife does loads of stuff

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Generously to a whole load of wildlife and animal charities, some have mentioned to me that I've been donating since 1987 (when I was on tiny pay) when they started.

Plus ad hoc Just Giving type donations as and when.

I also donate groceries to the foodbanks using their crates at supermarkets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here