Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars and congestion

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Christ on a bendy bus, these people aren't safe, the white range rover thing in particular, wtf?
Quite

remove license and retake a basic driving test.
Then reissue with a restriction on vehicle. Ie something appropriate, like a proper mini.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"walking is even worse" 😆

1689433241478.png

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Interesting article yesterday in the papers concerning ranges of the new EV's. A car said to cover 250mile's range dropped to 140 if radio and AC was on during journey. To travel any reasonable distance it suggested not using any extras on the car otherwise range dips considerably. Anyone experienced this?

Can confirm this is true.

Drive EVs daily and you can plug one in each end of shift and come back in the morning and no single day will have the same mile range as the previous.

Radio and AC definitely do send the range down a lot quicker.

It takes 45 minutes to charge up to 80%. The last 20% then takes 45 minutes to be completely charged.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's probably that big because you can class it as a van and save about £10k per year in benefit-in-kind tax as a company car. Actual cars have been hammered under the BIK regime, but vans (even bogus ones like this) haven't.
doesnt need to be so large. they weren't a generation ago, its just fashion from US, oversized yet less capacity than those older ones.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I worked in the States I was based on a construction site for a while and one of the secretaries used to turn up in an effing great Ford F150. She was this sweet little Mexican lady, but you most definitely wouldn't want to cross her whilst she was driving that

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
doesnt need to be so large. they weren't a generation ago, its just fashion from US, oversized yet less capacity than those older ones.
Its capacity is irrelevant. It's basically a car with a huge back end so it can be called a van for tax purposes. The benefit in kind tax on that is probably less than it would be on the 2CV.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Heading back to work so unable to cross check this

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Heading back to work so unable to cross check this

goes too far claiming drivers are subsidied, contribute ~£20bn net revenue, while rail costs more than that in gov spending. i bet they wont be given cash, more likely tax breaks and loans/gurantees (i dont think we should have them either, but sadly this is the way of government and corporate welfare these days).

i know you want no cars, reality is we'll keep having personal transportation and the desire is to go EV and batteries required.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
goes too far claiming drivers are subsidied, contribute ~£20bn net revenue, while rail costs more than that in gov spending. i bet they wont be given cash, more likely tax breaks and loans/gurantees (i dont think we should have them either, but sadly this is the way of government and corporate welfare these days).

i know you want no cars, reality is we'll keep having personal transportation and the desire is to go EV and batteries required.
I don't want 'no cars' that would be rather hypocritical of me and my little Renault.

I would like better options to car travel.
I would like more spending on those options.
I would like cars to not be so pernicious and dealt with accordingly.

So far this month 'we' are spending £1bn on comparatively short tunnel next to a World Heritage site, that will only kick the can down the road.
£500m to a global business in order to keep making cars.
Reduced spending on Active Travel.
While the planet is burning up and school girls are being killed by the vehicles 'we' are saving.

It just all feels wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always feel like I'm missing something with train tickets, despite using Trainline and Split my Fare.

Wolves away nothing doing less than £100 for both of us and over 4 hours travel time.

I noticed one of the options was a change less than the others, clicking on that route showed a direct train from Southampton to Wolverhampton.
Being in Best Sussex Southampton isn't a schlep so I could make that work.
£140 for 2 tickets.

I still think I'm missing something but until I work that out, they'll be one more car adding to the congestion on 12.08.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here