Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars and congestion

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The other girl girl has succumbed to her injuries now. 8 years old. Two of them. Such a terrible a tragic outcome. I hope neither suffered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’ve probably discussed this before … what can change this from happening?

I can’t think of anything proactive, the x percent of scum who don’t care about their fellow man/woman/child, will always be that way.

I can only think of mandatory sentencing (time served) akin to the worst manslaughter offences. If more serious eg driving dangerously at high speed and/or under drugs whilst people are about and killing someone, then sentencing similar to non-pre med murder. Even thicko’s are affected by deterrents, it keeps a lid on society.
It's not just the sentencing it's our entire relationship with cars and that's not changing any time soon, no matter how many little children are killed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not just the sentencing it's our entire relationship with cars and that's not changing any time soon, no matter how many little children are killed.

I know exactly what you mean, some other enlightened nations or cities show what can be done. The car isn’t king, drivers aren’t entitled to supremacy because ….. yawn …. they pay duties and VED.

In the practical world of now and the UK, away from opportunities in some urban areas, so taking the whole including dangerous rural roads …. I put drivers into two categories. The sensible.. They might own an SUV, they might not, the lump of tin isn’t the issue. Then the cnts using roads as an hilarious racetrack, or the vain refusing to wear specs, or folk checking up on facebook whilst driving. In the here and now, politicians must tackle these stubborn idiots.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A lot of people talk the talk, until they get behind the wheel, then instantly become considerably more important, and rushed, and impatient, than anything else on the planet.

I blame Thatcher, if she hadn't hoodwinked the peasants into thinking they're middle classed, they'd still be walking/cycling . . . . . And half fit, and living to a penionable age . . . Ahhh . . . the master plan!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know exactly what you mean, some other enlightened nations or cities show what can be done. The car isn’t king, drivers aren’t entitled to supremacy because ….. yawn …. they pay duties and VED.

In the practical world of now and the UK, away from opportunities in some urban areas, so taking the whole including dangerous rural roads …. I put drivers into two categories. The sensible.. They might own an SUV, they might not, the lump of tin isn’t the issue. Then the cnts using roads as an hilarious racetrack, or the vain refusing to wear specs, or folk checking up on facebook whilst driving. In the here and now, politicians must tackle these stubborn idiots.
No I don't see that at all, that's just an easy 'it won't happen to me cos I'm a great driver' cop out.

For me, most (I ought to write all, but that only discredits the point) cars are too big, too powerful, too safe for the occupiers.

There's no division of safe and unsafe, no young v middle aged v old drivers.

There are just cars, lots of cars, a high percentage are not fit for purpose, most purposes of which are not fit for cars, but a national transport infrastructure based almost solely on single occupancy transport.

None of that's going to change.
You only have to look at this thread to see car culture large as life and completely selfish.
There's a 1001 justifications for making the 2 mile journey.
'comedy' quips when asked to not drive.
Then when one of the once a week child killings has actually made it into mainstream media it's - 'a child has died how can you write that now'.

We're no better than The US is with guns, a country who has a bigger problem with cars.

Everyone that owns a car has the potential to kill with their car.

Answers are out there but not only aren't people doing anything about it, myself included, others from the government to 'bloke next door' are actively encouraging it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I don't see that at all, that's just an easy 'it won't happen to me cos I'm a great driver' cop out.

For me, most (I ought to write all, but that only discredits the point) cars are too big, too powerful, too safe for the occupiers.

There's no division of safe and unsafe, no young v middle aged v old drivers.

There are just cars, lots of cars, a high percentage are not fit for purpose, most purposes of which are not fit for cars, but a national transport infrastructure based almost solely on single occupancy transport.

None of that's going to change.
You only have to look at this thread to see car culture large as life and completely selfish.
There's a 1001 justifications for making the 2 mile journey.
'comedy' quips when asked to not drive.
Then when one of the once a week child killings has actually made it into mainstream media it's - 'a child has died how can you write that now'.

We're no better than The US is with guns, a country who has a bigger problem with cars.

Everyone that owns a car has the potential to kill with their car.

Answers are out there but not only aren't people doing anything about it, myself included, others from the government to 'bloke next door' are actively encouraging it.

I believe in governments making macro decisions to give alternatives to car journeys. Public transport, new trams and light railways … it’s not fanciful, I’ve seen fantastic, busy systems on the continent. Subsidised bus services on rural routes.

The carrot.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Remember that talk on nsc a few weeks ago of a progressive alliance, from those unknowing that the Greens and Labour parties despise each other. Well.

View attachment 162799
The Greens wouldn't have got these charges through without support from Labour at the time. It seems the new Labour administration is actually a transport dinosaur - they've also 'paused' the final phase of the Victoria Gardens scheme and the new cycle lane on the A259 in Hove, thereby jeopardising future funding from Active Travel England.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Greens wouldn't have got these charges through without support from Labour at the time. It seems the new Labour administration is actually a transport dinosaur - they've also 'paused' the final phase of the Victoria Gardens scheme and the new cycle lane on the A259 in Hove, thereby jeopardising future funding from Active Travel England.
Which just makes absolutely no sense at all.
But does go some way to explain why 5 deaths a day on our roads is perfectly acceptable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Interesting, thanks. Duplicitous springs to mind.

Do you mean part of Valley Gardens?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ahh at last a local authority who listens to the majority of the city residents 👍

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Christ on a bendy bus, these people aren't safe, the white range rover thing in particular, wtf?

My guess is that 90% of the people driving new or nearly new cars have them on PCP, still have a lot of credit to pay back on them, and can’t afford replacement wing mirrors on top of the credit repayments.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My guess is that 90% of the people driving new or nearly new cars have them on PCP, still have a lot of credit to pay back on them, and can’t afford replacement wing mirrors on top of the credit repayments.
My guess is it's people owning cars too big for their ability to drive on roads too small for the size of car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here