Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars and congestion

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
To separate this from the electric cars thread: It appears generally agreed that electric cars will improve air quality and reduce carbon emissions.

However, it’s clear that the switch to electric cars will do nothing to prevent congestion worsening from current levels, and will actually enable us to carry on largely as we are.

Do we want fewer cars on the road? How can we achieve that? Obviously improving public transport and subsidising it is key, so the service is effective and cheaper than driving, but what else?

Would we support (for example) properties without parking being only allowed one vehicle, properties with parking being allowed as many vehicles as they have parking available? Or would we just be signing the death warrant for the front garden as they all get paved over?

Is there an answer to this, or will our kids grow up used to sitting in traffic in the back of the car, and then go on to do it themselves?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Autonomous vehicles is the (a) solution. Unfortunately, despite all the hype, they are a long way a way from reality - mainly due to the legislative and regulatory issues around them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Progressive thinking has already led many cities and countries to approach their transport planning with less reliance on cars because it would appear obvious that population growth + car ownership growth = congestion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Better public transport is a huge thing

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Strict one out one in policy. No-one gets a new driving licence until someone else gives there's up.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The way I see it, if we get rid of all the cycle lanes then there will be much more space for cars.

Then we could get rid of buses, they take up loads more space than a car does.

All train tracks could in time then be tarmacked over to provide another handy driving route.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Interesting article yesterday in the papers concerning ranges of the new EV's. A car said to cover 250mile's range dropped to 140 if radio and AC was on during journey. To travel any reasonable distance it suggested not using any extras on the car otherwise range dips considerably. Anyone experienced this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer is huge improvement in public transport and a paradigm shift with the public and their overall attitude to their cars and roads and opposition to anything which might diminish their perceived rights. Neither is going to happen in my lifetime.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Autonomous vehicles is the (a) solution. Unfortunately, despite all the hype, they are a long way a way from reality - mainly due to the legislative and regulatory issues around them.
Surely reliable public transport is the solution. Without car congestion it would be straight forward to achieve.

Much more achievable that autonomous vehicles that would still experience the fundamental problem of too many cars on the road.

Less car ownership is the solution

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rebirth of the trams would help around Central Brighton
Agree. During the credit crunch Berlin built loads of extra tram routes....I got 3 completely new routes down to the Hbf.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Interesting article yesterday in the papers concerning ranges of the new EV's. A car said to cover 250mile's range dropped to 140 if radio and AC was on during journey. To travel any reasonable distance it suggested not using any extras on the car otherwise range dips considerably. Anyone experienced this?
Must be some sound system to do that!

Or were they just flooring it and driving like an arse I wonder

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only one car per person, girl next door owns three cars - why ?

Affordable, reliable public transport and better cycling routes
I have more than one car, no quite cracked how to drive them at the same time though :smile:

I live just off Chatsmore Farm on the A259. Congestion along that stretch is gridlock at rush hour and really busy most of the day. When they eventually get planning permission for 475 houses I imagine that will mean about 800 more cars. There lies the problem with congestion around here….

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lots and lots of carrot - but a little bit more stick wouldn't hurt either.

The fact that we've got to the point of 'i can't legally park right outside, I'm not walking 100yrds, so I'll illegally park right outside' says it all regarding our god given right to drive.
Low level car crime needs much stronger reinforcement.

My current thing (after pavement parking)

BAN ALL DRIVE TROUGHS.

All they do is encourage driving, obesity and dangerous driving.

But it's all about better public transport, safe spaces for all, and subsidized across the board.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Only one car per person, girl next door owns three cars - why ?
That solves a parking issue rather than congestion. The quickest way to solve the parking issue though would be to double yellow every single road in the city and suburbs. Don't have off street parking - tough, don't own a car. Would never happen though as the council would lose a HUGE amount of revenue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here