[Misc] Caroline Flack

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I seldom watch television, so until today knew almost nothing of Love Island, but I’ve just read that Miss Flack is the third person who appeared on the show who has taken their own life. What on Earth is going on?

David Baddiel has said that no one on Big Brother killed themselves because while the press could be awful about the contestants it wasn’t bolstered and magnified by thousands of people sending abuse via social media. Maybe that’s the thing. Maybe the hate mobs on Twitter and Facebook can do way more damage to one’s psyche than a handful of tabloid columnists no matter how widely read they are.

(Although these writers can often be the ones who light the blue touch paper to begin with)

This case is slightly different. Caroline Flack was the presenter and already had a media career. The other two people who took their own lives were contestants on the show and the argument there is what is the effect on someone in going from unknown to celebrity status in no time at all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The thing this shows is that the growth of anonymous people and there a lot of them on many forums, including here, Twitter, Instagram etc as well as a toxic tittle tattle gutter press like the sun and mirror and Mail has led to people to be emboldened to say vile things with impunity.

We will never know if it was social media or the press that drove her to this, or if she had some mental health issues...after winning strictly she did come out with interviews with mental health charities suggestion that she was having issues.

Thing is when people scream free press and free speech, there is no control of the nasty people sat in their bedrooms making vile comments or suggestions aimed at celebrities, politicians and even members of the general public doing good deeds, and followed up by a press who want to destroy as much as they can in the spurious term of “ public interest”

A terrible shame for this young lady’s family that she felt that her only way out was to end it all.

There will be lots of platitudes from the press, on how sorry they are of her death, but we all know it’s just fluff and they will be looking for new personalities to aim their bile at.

From someone who watched her on strictly and thought her winning was very deserved, RIP

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Couldn’t agree more. What is wrong with people that they have to be so cruel. Also, very disappointed with the comment from The Wizzard above. 1000’s of years of women being treated as second class, surely they are due an evening up?

Christ what the ever living hell is this!? We should be looking for equality for all races, genders, ages etc. not ****ing revenge you weirdo.

On topic, it's always a terrible thing to see someones life end earlier than it should, she was never found guilty because we never had a trial, so all we have is a dead woman who has been abused online for months. It's a terrible thing and highlights the vile side of social media.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The thing this shows is that the growth of anonymous people and there a lot of them on many forums, including here, Twitter, Instagram etc as well as a toxic tittle tattle gutter press like the sun and mirror and Mail has led to people to be emboldened to say vile things with impunity.

... there is no control of the nasty people sat in their bedrooms making vile comments or suggestions aimed at celebrities, politicians and even members of the general public doing good deeds ...

There’ve always been vile people who hate. Back in the days before the internet, I knew people who at times really hated all and sundry. Whether it be harmless footballers, TV presenters, pop stars or anyone who’s found fame, found some success, excelled at something. The green eyed monster often. Other times thick people who have no sense of proportion ... disliking someone’s politics, or music, or football club ... met with unbridled hatred, wishing them ill, glad when they’re ill or dead. People used to send hate mail.

The internet has simply given a new avenue for these sad losers to pass on their hate.

Cringeworthy. Often a middle aged hater typing bitchy shit, wishing ill on people or peoples they’ve never met.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'll apologise now if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
But don't be a tw@t and have some respect, it doesn't matter how famous she was, it's still a waste of a human life :thumbsup:

This. Show some respect Neil. If you don't know who she was, ffs hold your council.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To those who feel the need to denigrate this sad and obviously depressed young woman.

I imagine [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] is the only poster on this thread who had any personal dealings with Caroline Flack and he describes her as” a beautiful person, inside and out”
Having , like most who post on here, never met the young lady, that will do for me.

Today someone has died at the age of 40. People should not die at 40 because of minor mistakes they have made or things they may have said on social media. We all get one life, lets live it, forgive, forget and move on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can't make any real sense of her taking her life but I don't read the tabloid or do Twitter gossip to understand the back story on what level of vileness they have taken it to. Nor was I aware that she was being charged with assault.

It will be devastating for any family, but I can see she also leaves a twin sister behind which must be devastating x 10.

Sad and shocking news. Should never have happened.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I probably knew her best from hosting the "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here" show that followed on from Ant and Dec on ITV2 around ten years ago. I was also aware of her appearance on 'Strictly' that she'd won in 2014. She worked bloody hard with her TV career and deserved a lot more respect than the tortured soul she became.

The despicable comments that have appeared are so needless when someone has just taken their own life. God knows how she'd been feeling in her last few days. Suicide is never a spur of the moment decision and I feel dreadfully sad that such a beautiful woman has ended her life. The media are scumbags that have blood on their hands. Thoughts with her family and friends at this desperately sad time.

RIP Caroline.

100% this. Some of the c***ish comments defy belief in such circumstances. Poor girl. RIP.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Today someone has died at the age of 40. People should not die at 40 because of minor mistakes they have made or things they may have said on social media. We all get one life, lets live it, forgive, forget and move on.

social media really is a conduit for just about anyone who has a device to spurt their nastiness across the internet and target particular people , presidents , prime ministers , sports , film and a plethora of media stars .....bloggers , my spacers and the general public in all their forms and guises all using twitter ,instagram and Facebook to peddle their agenda right into the faces of anyone with a phone,tablet , lap top etc.

once again a rather good invention that has been hijacked and poisoned by arse hats.

RIP to the lady ...i don't know much about her but but 40 is no age for anyone to be taking their own life...:down:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Hang on. This is someone who allegedly committed a violent assault against a partner. I say allegedly, because although quite rightly in this country everybody is innocent until proven guilty, as far as i am aware she made admissions and admitted the offence to police, hence the CPS decision to charge her despite the victim not supporting that prosecution. It's quite a big deal for the CPS to charge a domestic violence perpetrator without the victim, her boyfriend, giving a statement to police and they will only have done so as they and the police feel he needs safeguarding from her.

All that said, the fact she has felt the need to take her own life is desperately sad for all involved, but i just wonder if her had twatted her over the head and then took his own life, whether there would be this much RIP'ing.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
^ Either way, 'RIP'ing' any deceased public figure on a message board is...well...fairly pointless is it not? (See also every single post on NSC)

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Hang on. This is someone who allegedly committed a violent assault against a partner. I say allegedly, because although quite rightly in this country everybody is innocent until proven guilty, as far as i am aware she made admissions and admitted the offence to police, hence the CPS decision to charge her despite the victim not supporting that prosecution. It's quite a big deal for the CPS to charge a domestic violence perpetrator without the victim, her boyfriend, giving a statement to police and they will only have done so as they and the police feel he needs safeguarding from her.

All that said, the fact she has felt the need to take her own life is desperately sad for all involved, but i just wonder if her had twatted her over the head and then took his own life, whether there would be this much RIP'ing.

Truly, she was the people's Domestic Abuser.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
^ Either way, 'RIP'ing' any deceased public figure on a message board is...well...fairly pointless is it not? (See also every single post on NSC)

I deleted a similar post last night.

I can't work out the rush to RIP then follow it up with 'never heard of them'.

Obviously I'll not be winning any Mr Empathy awards.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s so sad when all’s said and done. Nothing’s the same anymore, even prior to social media being ‘famous’ was a double edged sword, now it’s a curse. The mystique of yore is now utterly laid bare, human faults, sins and omissions, such regrets. It’s easy to say why? But I don’t think the modern ‘pop’ celebrities have much of a choice, it’s a sick, fake plastic world infested with falsity and cruelty with nought genuine and tangible to grasp in times of real heartfelt need.

How did it come to this?

Poor girl, another victim remembered today, yet the greatest tragedy - most likely forgotten tomorrow whilst the world marches forth for new ‘stories’ to satisfy the beast we created and now serve.

It’s all white noise and none of it good.

I can see why someone might just want it all to stop.

I hope she finds the peace she was possibly so tragically looking for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s so sad when all’s said and done. Nothing’s the same anymore, even prior to social media being ‘famous’ was a double edged sword, now it’s a curse. The mystique of yore is now utterly laid bare, human faults, sins and omissions, such regrets. It’s easy to say why? But I don’t think the modern ‘pop’ celebrities have much of a choice, it’s a sick, fake plastic world infested with falsity and cruelty with nought genuine and tangible to grasp in times of real heartfelt need How did it come to this?

Poor girl, another victim remembered today, yet the greatest tragedy - most likely forgotten tomorrow whilst the world marches forth for new ‘stories’ to satisfy the beast we created and now serve.

It’s all white noise and none of it good.

I can see why someone might just want it all to stop.

I hope she finds the peace she was possibly so tragically looking for.
I like Twitter but don't delve 'below the line'.

Apparently yesterday people were posting their RIP's blaming the appalling media treatment and then turning their venom on David Walliams/Ant (of & Dec fame) all in 240 characters, without even a hint of irony.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I like Twitter but don't delve 'below the line'.

Apparently yesterday people were posting their RIP's blaming the appalling media treatment and then turning their venom on David Walliams/Ant (of & Dec fame) all in 240 characters, without even a hint of irony.

I’m not on it, at 38 the only social media I partake in is, well, here. It’s not surprising to read the above, God it’s awful. Turning to the Albion for a moment, it must be so difficult being a player these days - so many detailed critiques of one poor touch - I doubt I could even walk on the pitch tbh, not without being utterly crushed with anxiety.

Perhaps we should remember why it was quipped that - the pen is mightier than the sword. Never was a truer statement made re the potential power of good and evil from that which we say and write.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not on it, at 38 the only social media I partake in is, well, here. It’s not surprising to read the above, God it’s awful. Turning to the Albion for a moment, it must be so difficult being a player these days - so many detailed critiques of one poor touch - I doubt I could even walk on the pitch tbh, not without being utterly crushed with anxiety.

Perhaps we should remember why it was quipped that - the pen is mightier than the sword. Never was a truer statement made re the potential power of good and evil from that which we say and write.

Connolly taking some social media hits was recently mentioned on here.

TBH I wouldn't have the slightest problem if the club decided to investigate the worst of the faceless trolls.

In amongst all the usual WUM from other clubs there must be a few bleed blue and white who take it far to seriously and need a break from the club.

I can see it now.

Club bans fan.
The Barber-Out's go nuts.
Club releases offending material.
Everyone says 'fair enough'.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Aaron Connolly tweets

Aaron Connolly
@AaronConnolly_9
Social media is a dangerous place sometimes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports