Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can you remember your 1st flight?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Manchester to Orlando, via Bangor, Maine 1993. Monarch Airlines. I would definitely argue that taking an 8 year old kid on a 90s standard, economy, long-haul flight for his first airborne outing was a rookie mistake. 500 mph they told me. Flying through the clouds they said. Not quite as entertaining as that though, is it?

In those days, there were obviously no seat-back TV's, and even more obviously no iPads or smartphones. Just the one TV in the aisle every 30 seats or so and a colouring book. Oh, and absolutely revolting food that I can still smell and taste to this day, when I think about it. The film in question was Groundhog Day, so having been on the go since 2am, occasionally drifting off to sleep, only wake up and find the film in exactly the same place didn't do anything to help speed the flight up.

Nor did the stop in Bangor, Maine, to refuel, which I think was typical of transatlantic flights in those days. It's funny, for years I believed that Maine was in Canada, simply because that's what my parents told me. Evidently, it's not, so I'm not sure if my mum and dad were a bit thick, ignorant or just didn't have the access to Wikipedia that I do.

I took my kids, both younger than I was then, on a long-haul flight to Mexico not long before the world shat its pants. Was a lot easier with mod cons, I can assure you.

g-mone-monarch-airlines-boeing-757-2t7_PlanespottersNet_976400_624875f651_o.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having had a glass of wine, I just saw this thread title again and saw 'can you remember your first fight?'.

Come on, Pretty Pink Fartarse, you have to start the thread, son.

I'll go.....

Hang on....no. Never had one. Not since junior school and three stone of whinnet slapping three stone of whinnet isn't a fight. Fact.

Lovely, though :drool:

homo erotica.JPG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Penzance to St.Mary's (Scilly Isles) in a helicopter 2005 to visit the Tresco Abbey Gardens. We then got a boat from St.Mary's to Tresco. I was 49 then. Oh, so young!

Bloody Hell!

Still.

My gran never travelled further from Hove than Portslade, till we took her to the New Forest on hols in 1964.

After all. Why leave God's own Brighton 'n' 'Ove? ???

:thumbsup:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Flew to Cairo in 1990, I’d never been further south than Paris before then. It was an eye opener I can tell yer, Although I had a fantastic time, the place stunk, the locals were always trying to rip you off and the food gave you the thruppanny bits.

At least Cairo was slightly better.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Not really, my first flight was as a 3 year old from Wellington to Christchurch to go skiing. My first flight in my memory was Gatwick to Munich 1979 on board a Comet with Dan Air. Now there is a combination from the past

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
First flight, Brize Norton - Dusseldorf 1977, courtesy of 'Crab-Air'.

Worst flight, Dusseldorf - Brize Norton - Gander - Calgary, Crab-Air VC10. 18 hours of sardine hell....

brighton7

Feb 15, 2012
Lydd Airport to some where in France 1965 ish remember taking ford anglia on board and driving to lloret in Spain was about 5 at the time so a bit vague

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Gatwick to Palma 1976 on a Dan Air Comet 4. One good thing about this airline was the opportunity to fly on one of these as not many airlines had them or would do in the future. Nice, smooth planes tarnished by metal fatigue problems and crashes in earlier models.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes London to Orlando in the early 90’s for Disney plus holiday aged about 9/10. We had many other vacations as kids but never flew. Mostly road trips to Western Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here