Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can you remember your 1st flight?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exeter to Monastir in Tunisia. First holiday abroad (apart from a couple of school and scout things by ferry) at 19. Too hot, shite food, stung by jellyfish, pestered by locals everywhere.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Chipmunk from Shoreham to .er Shoreham with parachute, the only way to fly!!

Similarly my first flight was Shoreham to Shoreham, via Arundel and Newhaven in a Cesna, I was about 10, so 81, my best mate and his dad asked me to join them to check the tides on the rivers

First commercial flight was 1990/91 to Shannon from Heat'row for work, woeful weather, late getting to the airport ( still building the A23 dual carriageway ) and vicious crosswinds, which meant the planes were delayed too, I ran on the plane and it was moving before my arse hit the seat. . . Crate was all over the place descending but landed remarkably smoothly.

I have never taken a 'holiday' type flight.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Exeter to Monastir in Tunisia. First holiday abroad (apart from a couple of school and scout things by ferry) at 19. Too hot, shite food, stung by jellyfish, pestered by locals everywhere.

Have you considered a career in tourism?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Probably Gatwick to Vienna - 1990.
The one i remember, though, for mishappery, was one to Milan on a footbally lads weekend in about 2001. It wasn't calamitous, as such, but involved me sitting next to intensely stylish fellow with shimmering locks and perfect, pristine pale trousers. After the plane landed and came to a soothing halt i semi-leapt up with an unusual enthusiasm, and in doing so i squashed the cup of coffee i thought was entirely empty onto the back of the seat in front. 2 small droplets of this cheap Easyjet brew shot into the air and floated in slow motion toward my neighbour's white slacks. There they lay, 2 brown dollops, slowly expanding on his thigh. It probably only took 15 minutes for the plane door open and for me to speed off with little but draining guilt as a cohort and the eternal echo of my friends all cackling at this moment of misfortune. I said sorry 33 times. He said it was ok, but i knew it wasn't and those trousers had to be destroyed. Maybe a better me would have taken my jeans off and burnt them on the runway, in solidarity, but no, instead i had a weekend in Milan eating pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Gatwick to Innsbruck 1989. Inherited £1000 from my aunt and took the family to Austria for a first holiday abroad. So I was 35 before I took my first flight. My boys were allowed to go up front and visit the flight deck. Different times.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Heathrow to Shannon circa 1970 when I was six.
I have no idea what aircraft it was but it was Aer Lingus and I am sure we entered via stairs underneath the fuselage.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Gatwick to Ostend, 1973. It was the day of the Gillette Cup final v Gloucestershire, I remember seeing a bit of it before the taxi came for the airport, then getting a newspaper the next day to see the sad news including a duck for Tony Greig who was run out. I was just 8.

More interesting was my second return flight to Dresden in the old GDR in 1978 with Interflug. Remember it really well, Interflug gear has become quite collectible now that it doesn’t exist any more.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Penzance to St.Mary's (Scilly Isles) in a helicopter 2005 to visit the Tresco Abbey Gardens. We then got a boat from St.Mary's to Tresco. I was 49 then. Oh, so young!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here