Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can you remember your 1st flight?

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Southend to Belgium for a mini break with my grandmother in 1965. It was a very small aircraft and I remember being given a plastic beaker of orange juice. I think I was about 13years old.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We flew Laker to JFK in 79.

Stand up bar and a fug of smoke for a passive smoker.
Screenshot_20220211-183738_Chrome.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Around 1954 I guess with my parents on a flight from Lydd to France somewhere (?Le Touquet?). Back in the days when you (or rather, my Dad) drove the car onto the bloody plane!!!!

My memory might be playing silly buggers but I think I'm right.

Yep, a Bristol Freighter?

62552ECD-F4BE-4656-8008-177560757446.jpeg

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Same as me - Gatwick to Girona in 1981 and we holidayed in Calella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And another one here to Girona, holidaying in Calella 1980. Downer we had a 7 hour delays coming back

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apart from 10 minutes around the bay at Clacton in 61, I flew from Gatwick to Ostend for a holiday in 1963.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
London to Nairobi, 1958, with BOAC. Took the best part of 24 hours with stops at Rome, Khartoum, Benghazi and Entebbe.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gatwick to Gran Canaria in 1988

I was 4 years old and remember being totally in awe of how big a plane was up close.

I'm pretty sure my dad bought me one of those model planes too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sturup (Malmö) to Arlanda (Stockholm) maybe 1995 (aged 6) or something... very uneventful.

Not been on a flight for nearly ten years now though so it will be a little bit exciting next time around.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
RAF Brize Norton (I think) or possibly RAF Abingdon, to RAF Akrotiri (Cyprus) in 1970, flew on a Bristol Britannia, I was 4 or 5. The flight took 8 hours or so, the one thing I remember is the baby cots. My brother was 2 at the time, when he went to sleep they brought a cot which was then hung from the edge of the overhead lockers. I have a vivid memory looking down the aisle and seeing a number of these cots hanging from the overhead lockers all rocking/swinging from side to side in unison.

The whispering giant as I believe it was known.
5cbac92a012403771589ba554cb348de.jpg

Last edited:

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Same year and place for me too - Lloret for a first blokes holiday abroad. Hotel D’Aix I think. Happy days.

I was 6 but didn't stop me having a beer at the bar. I helped the barman to collect the glasses from the night before and he asked me what I wanted. I'm sure he expected a coke or a chocolate milk (I can still taste that chocolate milk you could get in a glass bottle with a cap) but I asked him for a beer and low and behold my parents came to find me swigging a San Miguel. It was the Hotel Don Juan. Classic cheap full-board german towels in the pool kind of place. I went back with my mates in 1983 and nothing had changed other than Union Jack Football flags on the balconies. Just checked and it's still there. I remember carrying an unconscious Rangers fan up the front steps one night. Oh to be young and dumb again. Lloret De Mar.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Gatwick to Faro in Portugal and a Cal-Air DC-10.
Went in the cockpit too. 10yrs old and wanted to be a pilot so my mind was blown.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I was 6 but didn't stop me having a beer at the bar. I helped the barman to collect the glasses from the night before and he asked me what I wanted. I'm sure he expected a coke or a chocolate milk (I can still taste that chocolate milk you could get in a glass bottle with a cap) but I asked him for a beer and low and behold my parents came to find me swigging a San Miguel. It was the Hotel Don Juan. Classic cheap full-board german towels in the pool kind of place. I went back with my mates in 1983 and nothing had changed other than Union Jack Football flags on the balconies. Just checked and it's still there. I remember carrying an unconscious Rangers fan up the front steps one night. Oh to be young and dumb again. Lloret De Mar.

Aah!, Lloret de Mar. Absolutely no obligation to shag everyone in the hotel but,as you're there...........:lolol:

Me, Ibiza 1971,Hotel Coral Playa,San Antonio. Me,my younger brother and sister,my mum and my new step-father. 5 of us,full-board I think for a fortnight. £200.00 :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here