Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can you remember your 1st flight?

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
first flight would be Gatwick to Split 1983 , why do i remember it, it was in May...Thanks Mum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another one for Gatwick to Girona, ‘81, and stayed in Callela. Flew with Monarch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't remember the exact year but circa early 80s and it was a short helicopter joy ride at the Cuckfield Fair. First fixed wing was in a two seater cessna from Shoreham circling around mid sussex, down to the coast and back to Btn with my brother who had recently passed his PPL. I even had a go at the controls. This was probably around 1987.

First airliner was in 1990 to Dalaman from Gatwick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope. Nothing to remember. Never flown - probably never will now.

Not bothered.

Never flown; do you have a phobia or it’s this by choice?

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Gatwick to Faro in Portugal and a Cal-Air DC-10.
Went in the cockpit too. 10yrs old and wanted to be a pilot so my mind was blown.

I worked for Cal-Air for 4 years. British Caledonian Charter as is was known. GB-JZD and GB-JZE ex Laker DC10-10s. We would stuff 380 poor souls into those birds for various fun and sun destinations. Poor buggers from LGW to Orlando taking 13 hours with a re-fueling stop in Gander, Goose Bay or Frobisher depending on the winds. I don't think it would be legal now. So many seats on the main deck that the galley was in the hold accessible via lifts. A golden age of travel:D

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Pleasure flight from Shoreham Airport with my Dad and older Brother, around 1965 in a single engine Cessna, I was 12.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Light aircraft, Cessna I think.

Biggin Hill , over London and return.

I can remember seeing Earls Court at time.

I was in the Cubs at the time, so must have been late 70's.

I remember clambering over the wing to sit in the front seat.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I worked for Cal-Air for 4 years. British Caledonian Charter as is was known. GB-JZD and GB-JZE ex Laker DC10-10s. We would stuff 380 poor souls into those birds for various fun and sun destinations. Poor buggers from LGW to Orlando taking 13 hours with a re-fueling stop in Gander, Goose Bay or Frobisher depending on the winds. I don't think it would be legal now. So many seats on the main deck that the galley was in the hold accessible via lifts. A golden age of travel:D

It was also the time when smoking on flights was a normal thing to do, luckily it was a short flight to Portugal, by the time I got off the plane I must've stunk like I smoked 60 a day. Didn't need a tan with all that nicotine on my body, looking like an 11yr old David Dickinson.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I don’t remember my first, being only 6 weeks at the time from Singapore to Phuket. It must’ve had an effect on me as I now fly for a living.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
First trip abroad in 1975 to Geneva with my girlfriend who had a sister who lived there. Put me off flying for years, bad turbulence and got a bad infection during my visit that led to a couple days in hospital on my return with double pneumonia.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Gatwick to Newcastle in 1979 for the promotion game. I seem to remember it costing £59 and included the match ticket which was in the seats opposite the dugouts!

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
1985 Gatwick to Helsinki - EFSA day trip to see England against Finland in the Olympic Stadium.
Other than the excitement of first England away game, seeing Concorde fly past us on the way, and seeing it take off ahead of us on the way back was special.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gatwick to Newcastle in 1979 for the promotion game. I seem to remember it costing £59 and included the match ticket which was in the seats opposite the dugouts!

Amazing that you can get return flights to Europe now for that kind of sum if you’re flexible with timing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here