[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a sad day for Bob and us, on a day that should have all been happiness.

Thank you for everything Bob. 10 years at the Albion. It’s sad it ended this way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I’m not sure where that narrative comes from, is it just because of the Palace drop?

Sanchez is fantastic at claiming the ball, that’s probably his best strength… and reflexes wise he’s a great keeper.

Yeah, he’s acting like a petulant prat at the moment but let’s not pretend he’s shit, he’s young for a keeper as well, it would be a real shame to lose him I think he will go right to the very top, don’t let recency bias on Steele let you forget how good Sanchez is.

I have to disagree with you here. But I totally agree he is very young and it is to be expected that his attributes aren't yet refined.

From skimming the thread I think there's a lot of ppl who are being way too nasty. For me, after the Palace error, it was clear he needed to be stood down for a bit but this is a coaching thing, not personally disliking him.

He appears to be getting some pretty poor advice from somewhere, like Moise did in January, and I hope RS seeks better career advice whether he stays with us or not. Whatever club he is at he is far the finished article.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It is fairly obvious RDZ can be either a player's best advocate or their nightmare, without much in between. It would appear that he expects his squad to strive for perfection, anything else just isn't good enough.

I’m no psychologist but Sanchez’s ego badly dented by his perceived treatment by RDZ. RDZ is ultra clear in what he expects in terms of ends and means. There is no half way house, as you call out. Sanchez probably more responsive to a Potteresque leadership style.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
By the way I don’t think it’s necessarily even Bob throwing his toys out or refusing. It’s just poor attitude, not putting 100% in at training kind of thing. I don’t think RDZs comments ‘he can’t do what I am asking him’ really helped either.

If you’re dropped you either work extra hard to get back in or essentially give up.

I think Potter & Roberts leaving didn’t help Rob and he’s not really adjusted well. Which is baffling when you hear what all the other players say.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I am sure you are aware that the same algorithms brought us locadia, Maupay and a host of other bad signings.
Probably not the same algorithms.

They will constantly be refined and modified, and lessons will be learned and fed back into them.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Who knows what actually goes on behind the scenes.

We know RDZ is fiery, him and Sanchez may have had a bust up which led to RDZ banning him from the dugout.

Sanchez was great for us most of the time, I loved the way he celebrated with the players after a goal or a win, so it's a shame if he didn't take part in the Europa celebrations yesterday.

I definitely think theres a world class keeper in Sanchez, he's very young for keeper and Spain obviously see something in him too!

Steele has better feet for sure but other than that (from the eye test) Sanchez is better in every other department, as it turns out though footwork is currently the most important asset for a keeper due to the way we play atm.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My feeling has been that Sanchez may be suffering a combination of an unhelpful agent and depression but who knows? Sad he wasn’t there yesterday.
Everything moves on.
Will we sign an oven ready replacement or will we look at Scherpen or Rushworth (or indeed McGill) to step up?
And how much is Sanchez worth on the market?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Is it actually established that Bob has had a falling out with RdZ? He could just be waiting for a move elsewhere and RdZ feels its better to give match-day McGill experience rather than have Bob sat on the bench twiddling his thumbs.

Jul 7, 2003
Sanchez on the other hand is still young - all the things RDZ doesn't rate about him can be coached into him... as long as he is willing to learn.
Unfortunately that is the one thing that may be an issue. De Gea has proved at United that although he is a good keeper, playing passes is not something he is very good at. It may just be that Sanchez can't get to the level of passing that is needed in our way of playing so needs to find a team who still don't rely on that.

Replacing Raya at Brentford would seem a good fit although you know if that happened, he would be guaranteed to have blinder against us.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I am sure you are aware that the same algorithms brought us locadia, Maupay and a host of other bad signings.

I like the idea that Tony made an "algorithm" out of multilink and play-doh in 2010 and it's just sitting there untouched.

Recommendation engines and ML models are complex, ever-evolving beasts. We do not have one. There will be an entire suite of very very very complex models chugging along learning from their mistakes and improving sometimes and suddenly failing spectacularly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
By the way I don’t think it’s necessarily even Bob throwing his toys out or refusing. It’s just poor attitude, not putting 100% in at training kind of thing. I don’t think RDZs comments ‘he can’t do what I am asking him’ really helped either.

If you’re dropped you either work extra hard to get back in or essentially give up.

I think Potter & Roberts leaving didn’t help Rob and he’s not really adjusted well. Which is baffling when you hear what all the other players say.
No different to any organisation really - new boss comes in, there will always be someone who doesn't get on/agree with approach etc etc and people react in different ways. No idea what's happened behind the scenes in terms of their relationship but bottom line is that ball-playing out from the back is fare more critical to our play than shot-stopping, so the marginal differences in the latter between the keepers were far outweighed by the significant difference in the former.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Unfortunately that is the one thing that may be an issue. De Gea has proved at United that although he is a good keeper, playing passes is not something he is very good at. It may just be that Sanchez can't get to the level of passing that is needed in our way of playing so needs to find a team who still don't rely on that.

Replacing Raya at Brentford would seem a good fit although you know if that happened, he would be guaranteed to have blinder against us.
I think that's what will happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think the problem with some they expect perfection. De Gae has made numerous mistakes as calamitous as Sanchez's drop at Palace yet DG is still No. 1 at Old Trafford.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’ve always liked Sanchez, I wonder how much his agent has influenced his pathetic attitude? I hate players agents…
It's very easy to blame agents. Sanchez knows RDZ and knows Tony Bloom, he knows how we deal with this stuff. Without actually having any knowledge of the inner workings of the situation, I suspect it's just Sanchez throwing a strop because he didn't get his place back when Steele let in 5.

As somebody said the other day, would he have thrown this strop if we had a cup final coming up in a couple of weeks? I highly doubt it somehow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports