Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No different to any organisation really - new boss comes in, there will always be someone who doesn't get on/agree with approach etc etc and people react in different ways. No idea what's happened behind the scenes in terms of their relationship but bottom line is that ball-playing out from the back is fare more critical to our play than shot-stopping, so the marginal differences in the latter between the keepers were far outweighed by the significant difference in the former.
....and, of course, conceding 12 goals in 6 matches (that was mentioned on MOTD2) is just fine and dandy.

Rich84

May 6, 2018
Obviously has an attitude problem in terms of being a team player. Such a shame considering the amount of time he has been at the club. Great shot stopper, scared the crap out of me on crosses and with the ball at his feet, along with a body language that looked like he had all the time in the world. If I asked him to get me a beer I feel like it would take an hour before he returned.

Regrettably - cash in please.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How many are you blaming on Steele ?
Goals conceded per game with Steele is an alarming stat though, don't you think?

Steele's distribution is excellent and certainly a benefit, but I really hope that we prioritise a new keeper this summer that can do the distirbution as well as him but is better at the goalkeeping bit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Obviously has an attitude problem in terms of being a team player. Such a shame considering the amount of time he has been at the club. Great shot stopper, scared the crap out of me on crosses and with the ball at his feet, along with a body language that looked like he had all the time in the world. If I asked him to get me a beer I feel like it would take an hour before he returned.

Regrettably - cash in please.
It may be that we need to let him go, but we don't know the details of why exactly he is not happy to sit on the bench, maybe he feels it is best for the team that he doesn't as his confidence is shot?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Goals conceded per game with Steele is an alarming stat though, don't you think?

Steele's distribution is excellent and certainly a benefit, but I really hope that we prioritise a new keeper this summer that can do the distirbution as well as him but is better at the goalkeeping bit.
Has made as many total shut outs as Sanchez though, in less games., and has an assist.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Merely quoting a statistic. Of course, statistics are all about coincidence if we don't like them, eh?
Steele has conceded 20 goals in 13 games, so 1.54 goals per game and 6 clean sheets (46%)
Sanchez has conceded 30 goals in 23 games, so 1.30 goals per game and also 6 clean sheets (26%).

If you take out the 6 matches under Potter, who's style was less high risk than De Zerbi then it's 25 goals conceded 17 games which means 1.47 goals per game and is down to 3 clean sheets (17%).

Sanchez conceded fewer goals per game, but conceded in a higher % of matches, whereas Steele has conceded more goals per game but in a lower % of matches.

Make of that what you will.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Personally don’t think Steele was the deciding factor in those scorelines……..and he also kept clean sheets v Man U and Arsenal in the same period, and saved a penalty at Forest (we know Bob’s penalty-saving record is dire). Agree he needs real competition for his place though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Steele has conceded 20 goals in 13 games, so 1.54 goals per game and 6 clean sheets (46%)
Sanchez has conceded 30 goals in 23 games, so 1.30 goals per game and also 6 clean sheets (26%).

If you take out the 6 matches under Potter, who's style was less high risk than De Zerbi then it's 25 goals conceded 17 games which means 1.47 goals per game and is down to 3 clean sheets (17%).

Sanchez conceded fewer goals per game, but conceded in a higher % of matches, whereas Steele has conceded more goals per game but in a lower % of matches.

Make of that what you will.
Two decent keepers, one has thrown his toys out of the pram because the boss prefers the other :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Who knows what actually goes on behind the scenes.

We know RDZ is fiery, him and Sanchez may have had a bust up which led to RDZ banning him from the dugout.
Is it actually established that Bob has had a falling out with RdZ? He could just be waiting for a move elsewhere and RdZ feels its better to give match-day McGill experience rather than have Bob sat on the bench twiddling his thumbs.

No and No. RDZ has made it absolutely clear that it is Sanchez who has made himself unavailable for the bench and also added that 'Sanchez is a good guy'. If we have learnt anything from RDZ's mastery of english to date, it's that the last two times he has said 'XXXX is a good guy' he meant 'XXXX is a good guy, but unfortunately taking bad advice'.

So Big Bob now has the choice whether to do a Trossard or a Caicedo :shrug:

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016

I wonder if the more relevant question should be...

Goals conceded per game without a right back?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He’s a silly boy. He should be looking forward to the League cup 3td round. You do realise we get a bye …. More amazing news.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Goals being conceded by a team carrying multiple injuries, with jaded defenders and trying to get through two games a week. I think conceding goals was inveitable and probably very little to do with Steele.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The funny thing is he didn't strike me as somebody who would behave like this. It has come as a complete surprise and im somewhat gutted. Regardless what has been going on and the shite he is receiving from fans, he is still a solid keeper.. Sometimes keepers wait Months for an opportunity or longer. He wasn't prepared to do that. Such a shame.
Likewise, I certainly didn't have him pegged as a prick - he's been here since he was 15 for christ sake.

He's not just burned his bridges here with his recent antics, he's nuked them into orbit. What an absolute fool, at a time when the club has achieved so much through the players displaying such passion and unity. What a STINKING attitude.

I'm sure he'll find gainful employment somewhere, but whoever signs him will now be aware they're getting a bit of a wrong-un if he ever gets dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here