[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As l said much earlier in this thread, he is an overrated goalkeeper. He has made simple mistakes like this before and got away with them, yhesterday it cost us two points.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
As l said much earlier in this thread, he is an overrated goalkeeper. He has made simple mistakes like this before and got away with them, yhesterday it cost us two points.
He did not cost us two points. Incompetent match officials did that. Even without his big error, we would still have won

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am over it now and if it had been any other game I would have just accepted it as “shit happens”

At the time I was incandescent, knee jerk over reaction because it gifted a point to the team that it seems to be impossible to beat. convincingly. St Patrick’s Day massacre, Maupay equaliser, O’Shane and Knocky wonder goal aside, we get mugged pretty well every time

No doubt Zaha will be back to make us suffer again in March.

Sanchez still has my 100% backing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m with Roberto on this.

“Robert is a fantastic goalkeeper. He can make mistakes for sure, it’s not a problem. I make more mistakes than him, this is not a problem for me.”
RDZ proving yet again what a great manager he is, publicly backing his player and trying to put the focus on himself.

Sanchez will feel bad about his mistake but RDZ won’t let his head drop.

According to Premier League stats, Sanchez has now made 1 error leading to a goal. The same as Webster and Mac Alister.

Just be thankful we don't have Hugo Loris in goal, he's made 4 this season.
According to the Premier League stat page Big Bob has made 2 errors leading to goals in 85 appearances. That really isn’t that bad.

Lloris has made 24 in 357 games. De Gea has 16 in 400 games, Alison has made 8 in 156 games.

Exceptional stats for Sanchez. Keepers make mistakes, when they do they normally lead to goals. Sanchez clearly doesn’t make that many costly mistakes.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am over it now and if it had been any other game I would have just accepted it as “shit happens”

At the time I was incandescent, knee jerk over reaction because it gifted a point to the team that it seems to be impossible to beat. convincingly. St Patrick’s Day massacre, Maupay equaliser, O’Shane and Knocky wonder goal aside, we get mugged pretty well every time

No doubt Zaha will be back to make us suffer again in March.

Sanchez still has my 100% backing.
To be fair, we were outplayed in the game for the Maupay equaliser, that was a genuine smash and grab of a point from us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Every player makes simple mistakes, all the time.
Watch any match and you will see elite players mishitting a shot, slicing a clearance out for a throw in.

On Saturday, our player of the match, managed to give a goal kick away, by squirting a corner kick straight out of play.
That was probably the least excusable mistake of the entire game!

A lot of our fans confuse Sanchez playing a sharp pass, in dangerous positions as a "mistake".
They are wrong about this. Sanchez is playing exactly as he is being asked to.
When Dunk,/Caicedo,/Veltman/MacAllister manage to control these passes, they aren't bailing him out, they are doing what they are being asked to.

Goal keepers are far less likely to "get away with" simple mistakes.
To play for De Zerbi the players need to have "balls, big balls"

Sanchez will be ok.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Good to see things calming down after Saturday. I nearly threw my mobile through the TV when that Scum goal went in and shouted all sorts of obscenities at Sanchez and was as pissed off as anyone. It was just such an obvious f*** up when others just as bad go unnoticed or relatively so. He'll be fine. De Zerbi and the others will make sure of that as his heartwarming gesture to Sanchez showed at the end of the match. We move on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He did not cost us two points. Incompetent match officials did that. Even without his big error, we would still have won
I’m not sure about that… The game always pans out different… The plain fact is we were one nil up and coasting when he made his error… If the officials error had stopped us going two nil up then I’d concede to your point

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually, he probably did cost us two points. We were, at that stage, winning the game and Palace had no shots on target before that or after (although the play after that incident would have been different had they not scored but let's assume their accuracy wouldn't have changed).

It's frustrating but every keeper makes mistakes and I don't think we lost many goals because of Sanchez. I'd rather him in the team than out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Alisson is brilliant with his feet too, plus a few assists from brilliant distribution.

Ramsdale, Raya and Pickford also excel.
Allison -

Ramsdale -

Raya -

Pickford -

All keepers make mistakes. They change games and they stand out. FFS move on. And those calling for him to be dropped or replaced.......you're clearly too dimwitted to be worth arguing with.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

"Can we talk about Sanchez ?"​

All you want but I don't care to include myself in the conversation. I'm thinking of moving over to Wrexham. That way I can take more "Your Club's Moved By Telly Match Holidays" as possible. And maybe get Ryan Reynolds to name his fifth child after me.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Actually, he probably did cost us two points. We were, at that stage, winning the game and Palace had no shots on target before that or after (although the play after that incident would have been different had they not scored but let's assume their accuracy wouldn't have changed).

It's frustrating but every keeper makes mistakes and I don't think we lost many goals because of Sanchez. I'd rather him in the team than out.
Agreed. I think the best Keeper to use for this calamity keeper debate is David James. He was ridiculed early for his errors. Known as Calamity James. But with hindsight, he was actually an outstanding keeper. I believe his mistakes were his blessings in the end. I reckon the same for Sanchez. That error against Palace will hopefully live with him as a Goalkeeper. Hopefully he’ll be a lot more wary when that sort of cross comes in again? 🤞

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
More important can we stop this Undav experiment. We got way may out of Maupay had we kept him.
Like playing with ten men first half.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One of those days on Saturday, shit happens, no keeper is perfect

Just pity VAR and our finishing failed us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports