Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That's a pretty definitive statement by RDZ, I doubt Sanchez will be here next season if Steele continues as number 1.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
That's pretty brutal. This feels less like a kick up the backside for Sanchez, which it first seemed like, and more like they've fallen out a little.

Will be interesting to see if this spurs Sanchez on, or actually demotivates him. Sounds like he's on his way out.

I wonder if De Zerbi has another keeper in mind...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Like I said before the game (to some disbelief), I think we've probably seen the last of Sanchez in a Brighton shirt.

I'm very happy for Jason but feck knows if this is good in the long term.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I think it's fairly simple actually. Sanchez has been far from his best whilst Steele has been fantastic. So he got the nod.

Steele still has a lot to prove, but he deserves the chance to do so.
Also, Steele has an FA Cup quarter final coming up. Given his great form, and Sanchez recent mistake, I wonder if RDZ wants to keep giving Jason game time so he's in peak form for the Grimsby game, and hopefully two Wembley games after that? I'm pretty sure Jason will keep the shirt all the way through our cup run.

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
Also, Steele has an FA Cup quarter final coming up. Given his great form, and Sanchez recent mistake, I wonder if RDZ wants to keep giving Jason game time so he's in peak form for the Grimsby game, and hopefully two Wembley games after that? I'm pretty sure Jason will keep the shirt all the way through our cup run.
How many times did we play it around at the back without the slightest sign of a hiccup today. I have utter confidence in Steele and I fear our Spanish friend is going to have to look to his laurels

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How many times did we play it around at the back without the slightest sign of a hiccup today. I have utter confidence in Steele and I fear our Spanish friend is going to have to look to his laurels
The move that led to the penalty all started with Steele involved in that playing around at the back…Dunk was quick to point to him as he ran back after AMac scored

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Some great saves by Steele today but he is not as comfortable with ball at his feet and his distribution isn’t as great. I think Steele probably gives more confidence at corners not that there was any to really worry about today. Hopefully this shows Sanchez he has to work harder to regain his position.

BHA Fan93

Nov 1, 2020
Some great saves by Steele today but he is not as comfortable with ball at his feet and his distribution isn’t as great. I think Steele probably gives more confidence at corners not that there was any to really worry about today. Hopefully this shows Sanchez he has to work harder to regain his position.
Are you watching the same keepers as everyone else, steeles best part of his game is distribution and looks far more comfortable with the ball at his feet in this is first Prem start of the season than Sanchez has ever looked.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If Sanchez is dropped long term do we knock a zero off that £50m valuation?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
RDZ’s style of play and what he wants from a keeper in terms of leading play out from the back is something that seems to come naturally to Steele whereas for Sanchez, it’s been a steep learning curve that he is still not entirely comfortable with IMO. Steele is not just a great keeper on his line (making some critical saves today) but he seems more comfortable playing RDZ’s set sequences from the back. He is super confident as crucial pivot when we invite a high press and has excellent communication with Dunk and Caceido and Pervis especially to start the transition into attack. When Sanchez gets involved like that, I always feel a bit nervous tbh (but never when he’s between the posts or coming off his line to defend).

It may well be, Steele is not necessarily a better GK than Sanchez but his natural ability and skill set is better suited for DeZerbi ball.

That said - of course we could be overthinking it and RDZ is either giving Steele match time to keep him match fit to finish the FA Cup run or maybe he’s thinking of playing Sanchez in the FA Cup quarter final and subsequent games if we get through which is entirely feasible given RDZs expressed desire to to us to Wembley- in which case we are likely to need both GKs in top match preparedness should either become injured.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
RDZ is a perfectionist.

On Radio Sussex this evening he said he wants us to be more perfect and felt we should’ve scored more goals.

That drive is only a good thing for us.
I loved GP, and he improved us greatly, but RDZ is a world away from it is what it is and these are quality opponents etc

As for Steele - very pleased for him. He must be buzzing tonight. His place to lose I think too

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Distribution is significantly better than current Sanchez, that’s why he’s being picked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here