Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I feel Sanchez got his position in the team almost by accident. Think it was Spurs away, where Ryan was dropped and Sanchez came in, despite Steele and Walton being 2nd and 3rd choice.

It wasn’t like he had a run in cup games or anything to get him used to first team football with us. But after coming into the team we had a good defensive record and continued as number 1. Although imo this was down to the defence in front of him.

The mistake today was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. There was no one anywhere near him and, every game now, the opposition are going to try to exploit this by putting him under pressure.

I wanted him to do well but I think he is a liability with crosses into the box . The GK position is probably one of the weakest in the whole squad and needs to be improved upon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can’t be arsed to read the whole thread. So apologies for repetition. But..,

1) Sanchez is great with his feet. Our game is to draw the press and he’s probably in credit in terms of chances created from him doing his part. Any keeper that takes over needs to be just as good at being part of that goal scoring build up.

2) We were so dominant that was almost the first thing he had to do. It’s a killer because you expect your keeper to make a basic catch, yet you can hardly expect a spectator to stay switched on for every second of 100 minutes

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I feel Sanchez got his position in the team almost by accident. Think it was Spurs away, where Ryan was dropped and Sanchez came in, despite Steele and Walton being 2nd and 3rd choice.

It wasn’t like he had a run in cup games or anything to get him used to first team football with us. But after coming into the team we had a good defensive record and continued as number 1. Although imo this was down to the defence in front of him.

The mistake today was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. There was no one anywhere near him and, every game now, the opposition are going to try to exploit this by putting him under pressure.

I wanted him to do well but I think he is a liability with crosses into the box . The GK position is probably one of the weakest in the whole squad and needs to be improved upon.
Name a goalie that isn’t Ederson who is comparable to how good Sanchez is with his feet. This is absolutely crucial to how we play.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I watched it on the tellybox, he caught it and it slipped. If I'd stood there for that long, having nothing to do I would have forgotten what the ball looked like! Yeah blah, blah, he's a pro goalkeeper etc. He made a massive mistake & it's as simple as that. No need for wanting a new goalkeeper. I can't remember the clean sheet stats but he's good at his job and everyone makes mistakes. It's bloody Palace, they're jammie gits and they've just got the reverse of the 'Why did you let it bounce'. I think he gets the rivalry & he's probably going to go to bed tonight feeling shitter than the rest of us! 🤷‍♀️

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

By accident? Albion have known since he was 16 he’s an exceptional talent. He leapfrogged the other 2 keepers for that reason and it was why the club had no concern about letting Ryan go. Now there’s a guy who couldn’t handle a cross or, by the end, ever save a shot.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Bob, Fantastic shot stopper bit suspect at times. However we cannot ignore that that dropped 'catch' cost two dropped points, ultimately. Forgiven? Tomorrow!

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
By accident? Albion have known since he was 16 he’s an exceptional talent. He leapfrogged the other 2 keepers for that reason and it was why the club had no concern about letting Ryan go. Now there’s a guy who couldn’t handle a cross or, by the end, ever save a shot.
Why does critism always get twisted by those challenging it? Someone says Sanchez is a liability with crosses into the box which then gets twisted to ‘Sanchez can’t handle crosses or ever save a shot’.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Lots of Sanchez apologists in this thread. Sure, all keepers make the occasional clanger however, with Bob I go back to a pre-season game (I've forgotten who the opponent was) where he made a huge mistake and the seeds of doubt started to creep in. There have been a number of subsequent blunders this season. He loses focus quickly and too easily sometimes. Mat Ryan had a bad spell and the arch-traitor Snotter gave him his marching orders. Bob is probably not too far away from a similar fate. The backup keeper Steele is OK and he deserves a crack at starting in matches.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Bollox to all this defending Sanchez. Bottom line he has cost us an extra 2 points. He has been suspect for a while. How about giving Steele a run in goal? This is what you do when when one of your outfield players are on a run of form not matching expectation. Jeez.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Bollox to all this defending Sanchez. Bottom line he has cost us an extra 2 points. He has been suspect for a while. How about giving Steele a run in goal? This is what you do when when one of your outfield players are on a run of form not matching expectation. Jeez.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
March got slaughtered for his fluffed chances v Charlton capped off with that awful penalty. He's been almost unplayable since then. Be nice to see a similar response from Sanchez.
And that's why dropping him would be the wrong decision, would not help the club and I'm sure won't happen. His confidence may well be affected anyway over what happened, and he will know he owes us one.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Alisson is brilliant with his feet too, plus a few assists from brilliant distribution.

Ramsdale, Raya and Pickford also excel.
Allison has messed up several times with his feet this season and previously

Shocking vs wolves in the cup last month. https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/1296487/liverpool-alisson-error-wolves-fa-cup/amp/

. Raya is not in the same league.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

I wanted him to do well but I think he is a liability with crosses into the box . The GK position is probably one of the weakest in the whole squad and needs to be improved upon
What utter rubbish. Did Sanchez go to the World Cup with Spain by accident?
He is one of the best keepers in the league playing at taking crosses.
Every keeper makes a mistake, especially young ones.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here