Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron comes of age

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's been quite a good week for the Tories. Osborne came out with 1 or 2 good ideas which will appeal to middle class, southern voters and Cameron proved once again he's a good public speaker. But will it be enough for them? Where were the ideas about how they'd improve the big public services: education, health and transport? There was next to nothing aside from the vague cliche of " trusting the professionals." We've done that before Dave, under Tory governments and looked where it got us. Remember how long peple had to wait to see a consultant let alone have an operation? People have short memories. And who would you rather in in charge of the country if there was a real crisis... Gordon Brown or the Tories? There's no contest. No I'm sticking with Labour despite the disaster of Iraq and other mistakes. Sound economic management and sustained growth, the minimum wage, new schools and the best free health service in the world.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's been quite a good week for the Tories. Osborne came out with 1 or 2 good ideas which will appeal to middle class, southern voters

Well yes (although he still won't say how they're going to be funded) but the Tories have got to reach out of their heartland. They have no seats at all in Scotland or Wales and no seats in any of the big northern cities. If they want to win an election, they have to reach out beyond their core voters, Cameron shows little sign of understanding this.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gubber backing the Tories? I'm putting the entire pension fund on Labour NOW.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where were the ideas about how they'd improve the big public services: education, health and transport? There was next to nothing aside from the vague cliche of " trusting the professionals." We've done that before Dave, under Tory governments and looked where it got us. Remember how long peple had to wait to see a consultant let alone have an operation? People have short memories. And who would you rather in in charge of the country if there was a real crisis... Gordon Brown or the Tories? There's no contest. No I'm sticking with Labour despite the disaster of Iraq and other mistakes. Sound economic management and sustained growth, the minimum wage, new schools and the best free health service in the world.

WORD. As they say.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
David Cameron delivered a superb tour de force speech this afternoon to come of age as a serious politician. He was a breath of fresh air after 10 years of Labour's lies, deceit, disastrous foreign policies, stealth taxes and pillaging of Pensions funds.

66 minutes of speech without an autocue or notes , well put together and reasoned out.

Cameron is the way forward to bring the country and its undoubted talent to the fore. Cut out the red tape and bureaucracy and our every move ruled and regulated and pleasures banned and anyone who dares to rise about the mediocre taxed until their backsides bleed.

Brown get your ugly mug out of office and PDQ. Take your tired old policies and fellow Reds with you and let someone with new ideas in, you and your stinking party are finished.

That's is all :angry:

I see that your understanding of politics is as limited as your knowledge of horse racing and football. That is all.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's been quite a good week for the Tories. Osborne came out with 1 or 2 good ideas which will appeal to middle class, southern voters and Cameron proved once again he's a good public speaker. But will it be enough for them? Where were the ideas about how they'd improve the big public services: education, health and transport? There was next to nothing aside from the vague cliche of " trusting the professionals." We've done that before Dave, under Tory governments and looked where it got us. Remember how long peple had to wait to see a consultant let alone have an operation? People have short memories. And who would you rather in in charge of the country if there was a real crisis... Gordon Brown or the Tories? There's no contest. No I'm sticking with Labour despite the disaster of Iraq and other mistakes. Sound economic management and sustained growth, the minimum wage, new schools and the best free health service in the world.

Difficult to compare, isn't it?

Wasn't there a global slump lead by the American slump? Didn't the price of coal hole out? Etc. etc.

What is to say that the Tory govts. would be exactly the same? You are attempting to compare the 80s/90s with the current global climate.

Why do you think Gordon Brown would be better in a global crisis? Where is your evidence?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
are you sure about that?

It has it's faults - but as someone who spends her time on placement in an NHS hospital - it isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Sure it has it's faults, but be grateful that you can have treatment in a free service. My operations would have cost me literally thousands and thousands (My last one was nearly £500 all in on private, and that was for a half an hour op!!) - without the nhs i would have been a lot worse off than i am now.

I've got friends who have been on placement in a private hospital - and they say that basic nursing care, and safe nursing practice was a lot worse there than in the General Hospital.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ten. More. Years. :dance:[/QUOTE said:
Please no.

Had enough of high taxation.

Had enough of poor health service (despite the extra billions pored into it - where HAS that gone?)

Violent crime at record high.

Education - schools still sending out kids who can't even complete a job application form correctly

Complete shambles of a foreign policy

Raped the Pensions of millions

Austrialian type immigration poicy (points system) ? talk about shutting doors, horses and bolting.

Too many people claiming benefits, and expecting someone to provide for them - too much of the 'it's not my fault attitude'. Some people really need looking after, many do not - they are just plain lazy.

Could go on and on.

:angry:

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Ah, but Laura. It's a good therapeutic habit to knock the Health Service. It's got to be true. The Daily Malice and The Daily Excess do it every day.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Ah, but Laura. It's a good therapeutic habit to knock the Health Service. It's got to be true. The Daily Malice and The Daily Excess do it every day.

Well this is true - its so funny in the (NHS) hospital, most of our patients read the mail - then go to complain about the NHS!!! I then ask them why they decide to come to an NHS hospital if they think its so bad!!!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Please no.

Had enough of high taxation.

Had enough of poor health service (despite the extra billions pored into it - where HAS that gone?)

Violent crime at record high.

Education - schools still sending out kids who can't even complete a job application form correctly

Complete shambles of a foreign policy

Raped the Pensions of millions

Austrialian type immigration poicy (points system) ? talk about shutting doors, horses and bolting.

Too many people claiming benefits, and expecting someone to provide for them - too much of the 'it's not my fault attitude'. Some people really need looking after, many do not - they are just plain lazy.

Could go on and on.

:angry:

How on earth could I forget that little package straight from Conservative Central Office via The Daily Malice and The Daily Excess?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
How on earth could I forget that little package straight from Conservative Central Office via The Daily Malice and The Daily Excess?

But would you like to answer the points raised.

By the way I have never read either of the papers in question - in fact I don't read any papers,(Sports Argus excluded) they make your hands dirty!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
But would you like to answer the points raised.

By the way I have never read either of the papers in question - in fact I don't read any papers,(Sports Argus excluded) they make your hands dirty!

There is no answer to fiction because it is made up as one goes along.

If you don't read either of those two Conservative Party daily periodicals then you must write them, because you gave the potted version of their novels .

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with most of what Sneaky says there, including the bits about some good initiatives from the Tories (good in the sense that they may resonate with some voters).

But according to George Galloway, the best free health service in the world is in fact in Cuba, where even the poorest person gets the kind of treatment that only the top insurance would secure if you were living in the States. So there you have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here