Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron comes of age

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
Let's face it, whichever party you elect, they all end up the same. Try and think back to a 'good' government. They are all charlatans just out for their big fat pensions. They will say anything and everything to get your vote but it all proves to be lies once they get their feet under the cabinet table. Anarchy is the only way forward.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Come on Gareth, when are you gonna put us all out of our misery...

Surely you don't REALLY think he's right for PM?

Wehre is it...

:goal:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This thread has CLINCHED it for Labour

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Let's face it, whichever party you elect, they all end up the same. Try and think back to a 'good' government. They are all charlatans just out for their big fat pensions. They will say anything and everything to get your vote but it all proves to be lies once they get their feet under the cabinet table. Anarchy is the only way forward.

:thumbsup:

No matter how they dress themselves up or what they call themselves, it will make zero difference to the average person who's running the country this week.

You only have to look at the way they behave in the house of commons! These are meant to be grown adults deciding the future of our once great nation. Instead they all sit there and act like morons.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Cameron speech: Key quotes
Here are some of the key quotes from Conservative leader David Cameron's speech to the party's 2007 conference.

INTRODUCTION

"Two years ago I stood on this stage and I gave a speech, a short speech about why I wanted to lead our party. Today I want to make a speech about why I want to lead our country. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit longer. And I haven't got an autocue. And I haven't got a script. I've just got a few notes. So it might be a bit messy, but it will be me."

CHANGE

"The triumphs of the past are not enough. Every generation of Conservatives has to make the argument all over again for free enterprise, for freedom, for responsibility, for limited government and that's why I stood here two years ago and said to our party after three election defeats that we needed to make changes and we've made those changes. Today, just one in 10 of our Members of Parliament are women but almost a third of our candidates are women. I didn't do that. You did that and you should be proud of what you've done."

OLD POLITICS

"We face a new world in so many different ways and the old politics is failing and change is required. New world - old politics failing - change required. That is what we've got to be about today. And you know there's been quite a lot of talk of lurching and I can tell you we're not going to be lurching to the left, we're not going to be lurching to the right, we're just going to be providing the good solid leadership this country needs. Hope for our country. We need change for the long term - hope for our country and optimism for the next generation."

OPTIMISM

"What do I believe? I am by nature an optimist. I think if we give people more power and control over our lives, I think they'll take the right decisions, they will go stronger and society will go stronger too. I don't believe in an ever larger state doing more and more. I believe in trying to make people doing more for themselves, for their families, and with society as well. And I believe that if we really want to tackle crime, really want to make our society stronger then you've got to make families stronger and society more responsible. And to me that word, "responsibility" really means something. I think over these last ten years we've seen responsibility sucked away from people, sucked away from our public servants and taken away from our public services."

GORDON BROWN

"Now last week in Bournemouth - or Bourne-mouth - we saw the old politics on display. It wasn't just that we' heard it all before, I mean literally heard it all before. I think actually quite a lot of people in America had heard it all before as well. There were the GP surgery family friendly opening hours, we've had that one three times before; eco towns, four times before; competitive sport in our schools, six times before - and no indication about how any of these things are going to be done. But it wasn't just that. It was the cynicism of it. He told us things that he knows he can't do. British jobs for British workers, it's illegal under British law. Deporting people for gun and knife crime, you can't do that because of Labour's Human Rights Act. I have to say to the prime minister: if you treat people like fools, you don't deserve to run the country, let alone win an election."

THE INTERNET

"We live in an extraordinary world of change and freedom. The internet is transforming people's lives. The website 'Myspace' has got a 130 million members. If it was a country, it would be the tenth biggest country in the world. 'Facebook' , the social networking site, 30 million members. People using it to talk with each other and meet people. I had a look the other day. There is a network on Facebook called 'David Cameron is a hottie' (laughter and applause) - it's got 74 members. And I looked a little further and there's another network called 'Am I the only person who doesn't like David Cameron?' and it's got 379 members. (laughter) I'm sure there's no-one here today. But the point is a serious one. As in our private lives and our work lives, we get more and more control, more power to do what we want. When we look at our democracy, we're still stuck in the dark ages."

EU TREATY REFERENDUM

"When we look at our democracy, we're still stuck in the dark ages. When it comes to politics we just have to take what we're given and put up with it. And to me nothing sums this up more than the European constitution. It's not just that it's an issue of trust. We put it in our manifesto that there should be a referendum, Labour put it in their manifesto that there should be a referendum and it is one of the most blatant breaches of trust in modern politics they won't give us that referendum. But it actually goes further than that. In a world where we have all this freedom and control are we really saying to people that when it comes to how you're governed, how your country is run, you can't have a say, it's nothing to do with you? That's wrong and that's why we'll keep pushing for that referendum, campaign for a no vote and veto that constitution."

SETTING BY ABILITY

"I'm the father of three children. All of them under five. All of them I want to go through the state sector. I know what schools I want for my children. A school where they turn up and the head teacher knows your name. A school where there's proper discipline so they don't keep people that behave badly in school and wreck the education for those who want to learn. Schools where they use the tried and tested teaching methods, not some experimental system of letting you discover the world for yourself. Schools where they understand that children are different. They have different needs. That equality isn't putting them all in the same class and teaching at the same speed - it's setting by ability. It's taking the brightest pupils and stretching them and helping those who are falling behind. And for parents with disabled children , it means not having to fight for a special school and save your special school, it means special schools are there if you want to choose them for your children."

HOUSING LADDER

"One of the aspirations people still have and rightly so is the aspiration to own a flat and a home of their own and all of us... all of the shadow cabinet here they could tell the same story... of young people who come to our surgeries, they show you their salary, they talk about local house prices and they just say I don't see how I can achieve that dream and George showed how we're going to cut stamp duty to show that we're on their side and we'll help mend the rungs of the housing ladder and get on their side. This is the party of aspiration and opportunity and George [Osborne] has shown us the way."

SCHOOL APPEALS PANELS

"We will give head teachers complete command of their schools. If they want to have enforceable home/school contracts which parents have to sign about the behaviour of their children before the children go to school, that's fine. And no ifs, no buts, if a head teacher wants to exclude a pupil because their behaviour is wrecking the education of others, they should be able to do so. The appeals panels have got to go."

BENEFITS

"Why have Labour failed and gone on failing? If we don't understand why, we won't get it right. They've put the money in: we've had New Deals and Fair Deals and Hand-Ups and Thinking the Unthinkable and then going away and thinking again but it hasn't worked. Why? I believe it's because they've relied too much on the state organisations that can treat people like statistics rather than like human beings. And ministers are so keen to shout 'success' that they count success as just six weeks in a job. So we get this revolving door of people living a life on benefits and then just a few weeks in work, and back on to benefits again. Change - modern Conservative change - is required."

FAMILIES

"You know the best welfare system of all? It's called the family. If you think about it, what's the best organisation at bringing up children and helping us with the right values and helping us get on in life , looking after us if we're sick or disabled, caring for the elderly , it's the family? And in this world of unease as well as freedom we need to do more to support the family and again the old politics are failing. Look at Britain today, one in four children brought up with an absent father, the highest rate of family breakdown in Europe and I just don't believe we can walk on by from the evidence that's in front of us. Children from broken homes have a 70% greater chance of failing at school , a 40% greater chance of getting into debt, a 35% chance of being unemployed. Single mums do a brilliant job, they do the most difficult job in the world but I don't think we can ignore the state of family breakdown in Britain and I think we have to try and do something about it."

IMMIGRATION

"I want our party, a modern Conservative party, to talk about this issue in a reasonable, humane and sensible way and to take sensible measures that are necessary. What I always find with the government is that you get the exact opposite. You get a whole lot of language - often quite inflammatory - but they don't take the steps that Britain needs so let us be the ones that handle this issue in the way that it needs to be for the good of our country and our public services."

BRITISH TROOPS

"In this world of danger and insecurity, we need to recognise again that the old politics is failing. Yes, we've changed some things since 9/11, but we haven't changed enough. And our prime minister likes to say that nothing in Britain is broken, but I would refer him to a piece of paper which is all about the sacrifices our troops are prepared to make on our behalf - including the ultimate sacrifice - and our duties and obligations to them. It's called the Military Covenant, and Mr Brown, I believe your government has broken it."

ACADEMIES
"We need to open up the state monopoly and allow new schools in so we can get the sort or innovation, choice and diversity that there is in the private sector. I want that choice diversity and innovation in the public sector. Now the government's got its academy programme- it's a good programme - but I feel that Gordon Brown is putting his foot on the brake when he should be putting his foot on the accelerator. And we should be making it easier for these new schools, so we will say to churches, to voluntary bodies to private companies to private schools come into the state sector - find the parents and the children. We'll have a simple regulatory regime, per capita funding and we can have those new schools so we can really drive up standards."

AFGHANISTAN

"My top priority overseas would be Afghanistan. We are doing fantastic work in that country. Our troops are incredibly brave but my worry is we could win the military campaign but start to lose the country. How can we win an insurgency when there are seven different military chains of command? How can we rebuild a country when we don't have one person coordinating the aid between the EU, Nato and the UN? How can we really help a people when the country is still so awash with drugs and has so much corruption? We really need to make this our number one priority. And I tell you why, if we get out of Afghanistan, the Taleban come back into Afghanistan and al-Qaeda will set up in Afghanistan and that will mean danger and terrorism on British streets again."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Schools where they use the tried and tested teaching methods"

Did Ernest write his speech? I think we should be told

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Did he say BOOT out the FOREIGNERS ???

Er no...quite the opposite in fact.

He's obviously needs a tried and tested speechwriter.

As a matter of interest, Gareth or any of the Cameron groupies, have you any idea as to how he's going to reduce the number of broken homes. Is it going to be crime for parents to separate now? I'm used to a load of old pony in political speeches but this must be one of the most ludicrous things I've heard.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Er no...quite the opposite in fact.

He's obviously needs a tried and tested speechwriter.

As a matter of interest, Gareth or any of the Cameron groupies, have you any idea as to how he's going to reduce the number of broken homes. Is it going to be crime for parents to separate now? I'm used to a load of old pony in political speeches but this must be one of the most ludicrous things I've heard.

The way Labour did when they promised the same thing...? Oh...! I see what you mean.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We could all get on stage and ay how we would make the country better. Wil he do anything. If pliticians were so desperate to help the country and so passionate they would offer to live in a small house and work for minimum wage.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I liked the bit where he said 'I went to a good school - I'm not ashamed of that, it showed me what a good education should be and that's what I want for everyone.'

There's quite a lot wrong with that. Firstly, he is embarrassed about it or he would have named it. Eton. And secondly, no time soon will your local comp be having class sizes of less than 10, sports fields the size of Berkshire and computer and science resources that would put NASA to shame.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The way Labour did when they promised the same thing...? Oh...! I see what you mean.

They didn't though. I'm no Labour fan - I didn't vote for them in the last election, or the one before that, or the one before that... but I don't ever recall any Labour politician say we're going to prevent families breaking up.

It's the reverse in fact. Whhen the Tories were mouthing off this year about offering more child benefits to children of married parents, Labour made much of the fact that their benefits were aimed at all children.

I assume that what Cameron means by preventing family break-up is some sort of financial inducement but a) how does he cost it? b) how does he differentiate between a father who lives apart from his kids but is not divorced and one who lives with his kids? and c) what about families who want to split up because one or both parent is seeing someone else but they need to stay together because they want to extra money. How does that help anyone.

I repeat: it's probably one of the maddest ideas I've heard from a politician.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here