Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Caicedo and MacAllister, How Well Have They Done Since They Left Us?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I believe Caicedo was a Man U fan as a child. Is it possible he just couldn't stomach playing for their long standing rivals? If offered palace or another team for roughly the same wage, what would we all do? Just a theory mind!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
LOL. I think he just means his career. As things considered, he's got millions to fall back on. Don't worry - he's gonna be ok!
I know it was just his career he was talking about. I am not thick.
I just don’t like the remark he made about a young man and his career, regardless of the money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe Caicedo was a Man U fan as a child. Is it possible he just couldn't stomach playing for their long standing rivals? If offered palace or another team for roughly the same wage, what would we all do? Just a theory mind!
You think his mum would have tolerated the barbarian wastelands of Manchester any more than the devil's cauldron of Liverpool?.....and his agent, with Chelsea wanting their money back?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think rotting on £7-£8M a year is much of a hardship.
Money doesn’t buy happiness which is why Lamptey and Gilmour moved the other way. They want to play.
Wayne Bridge said as much when he came on loan to us, saying he fell in love with football once again.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
You think his mum would have tolerated the barbarian wastelands of Manchester any more than the devil's cauldron of Liverpool?.....and his agent, with Chelsea wanting their money back?
Not quite my, albeit feeble, argument though. I am suggesting he would be anyone but Liverpool same as we would be anyone but palace. And not Leeds of course, but that is a given...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I know this isn’t exactly a “hot take” but it really does bear repeating: what the f**k has happened to Caicedo?!

He was absolutely dogshit and very lucky to stay on the pitch - misplaced passes, constant fouls, poor positioning. He looks like an imposter sharing his name.

£115m :lol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He also signed a new contract before the world cup, meaning he didn't leave for nothing the following summer so....
This. I am 100% certain we got the best possible deal we could for MacAllister. I love the guy. Left with class and dignity, clearly grateful to the club and always gave 100%. Don’t begrudge him his move at all.

And as rightly pointed out, he was out of contract and would’ve walked for free, almost certainly signing a new contract (and thereby giving as a reasonable fee we almost missed out on entirely). I have no doubt that his release clause was the reason he agreed the contract - it was either that or no deal I suspect.

As I say, love the guy. The opposite of Caicedo/Cucurella who behaved unprofessionally and left a sour taste. Note their career trajectories.

The cream rises to the top.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This. I am 100% certain we got the best possible deal we could for MacAllister. I love the guy. Left with class and dignity, clearly grateful to the club and always gave 100%. Don’t begrudge him his move at all.

And as rightly pointed out, he was out of contract and would’ve walked for free, almost certainly signing a new contract (and thereby giving as a reasonable fee we almost missed out on entirely). I have no doubt that his release clause was the reason he agreed the contract - it was either that or no deal I suspect.

As I say, love the guy. The opposite of Caicedo/Cucurella who behaved unprofessionally and left a sour taste. Note their career trajectories.

The cream rises to the top.

Why are we all so anti release clauses in player contracts then? It allows the player to leave with class and dignity, and everyone's happy? If we had a put a release clause in Caicedo's contract we could all be sitting here now saying how we loved the guy, how he always gave 100%, blah blah blah.

And to yet to most on here we were right not to put a release clause in Caicedo's contract, and right not to offer one to Kudus. Seems to me people don't really know what they want.

MacAllister threatening to leave on a free unless he gets a 35m release clause = acting professionally. Caicedo asking the club to accept an 80m offer from Chelsea = acting unprofessionally.

Sorry, but that logic is just baffling.

No, the answer is its just business. It made business sense to give in to Mac Allister's demands and offer that release clause. And it made business sense to hang Caicedo out to dry and squeeze every last million out of Chelsea. So it's ridiculous to start ascribing professionalism and unprofessionalism to the individual players when the situations played out like they did solely because of our (Brighton's) desire to make us much money as possible out of the two of them.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why are we all so anti release clauses in player contracts then? It allows the player to leave with class and dignity, and everyone's happy? If we had a put a release clause in Caicedo's contract we could all be sitting here now saying how we loved the guy, how he always gave 100%, blah blah blah.

And to yet to most on here we were right not to put a release clause in Caicedo's contract, and right not to offer one to Kudus. Seems to me people don't really know what they want.

MacAllister threatening to leave on a free unless he gets a 35m release clause = acting professionally. Caicedo asking the club to accept an 80m offer from Chelsea = acting unprofessionally.

No, the answer is its just business. It made business sense to give in to Mac Allister's demands and offer that release clause. And it made business sense to hang Caicedo out to dry and squeeze every last million out of Chelsea. So it's ridiculous to start ascribing professionalism and unprofessionalism to the individual players when the situations played out like they did solely because of our (Brighton's) desire to make us much money as possible out of the two of them.
I suspect your mind is as entrenched in your idea that Caicedo's behaviour (or agents, Twitter mouthpiece, etc etc etc) were all acting sensibly and professionally as those of us who think the whole thing was a horribly orchestrated mess. Of course it was just business but as @Thunder Bolt said earlier, there are good and bad businessmen. I also hope 'he rots' in Chelsea's disgusting club, but I wish no harm on him as a person, just no success at that morally bankrupt club. I am starting to feel like a few others here in that I don't believe they will ever be our rivals but I dislike them more than palace at the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suspect your mind is as entrenched in your idea that Caicedo's behaviour (or agents, Twitter mouthpiece, etc etc etc) were all acting sensibly and professionally as those of us who think the whole thing was a horribly orchestrated mess. Of course it was just business but as @Thunder Bolt said earlier, there are good and bad businessmen. I also hope 'he rots' in Chelsea's disgusting club, but I wish no harm on him as a person, just no success at that morally bankrupt club. I am starting to feel like a few others here in that I don't believe they will ever be our rivals but I dislike them more than palace at the moment.
I disliked Chelsea before our rivalry with Palace began. It goes back to the FA cup replay in 1967 when Brighton fans travelled to Stamford Bridge to find Docherty had already closed the gates on us.
Chelsea - the epitome of arrogance

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

Dont forget that there were lots of rumours which are now NSC facts.

All I know is:

The silly Instagram post happened amidst the Arsenal interest.
That the club told him to sit on the naughty step for a game or two and then he came back playing as well as ever.
The club then auctioned him off as Chelsea kept hassling us with bids.
He rejected a move to Liverpool.
He signed for Chelsea.
He is not playing very well.
His mum is not very athletic looking.

I think the fact he is at Chelsea qualifies him for a level 2 boo though.

Edit: I forgot to add he also signed a new contract in early March, thus strengthening our position.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Hey, people can think what they want to think about these guys, but your general point holds true, that this is on many ways a hatred of Chelsea that is being projected onto these players. It's the false comparisons with MacAllister that bug me, we had to give in to his agents, yet its Caicedos who are the bad guys?

The whole thing indeed looked like a mess, but a mess that we certainly had a hand in making, and ultimately it was a mess that we did really well out off, his agents did really well out of, the twitter mouthpieces did really well out of, and he did really well out of, or at least will once Chelsea get a decent manager in charge. Who are the bad businessmen here?

Yeah, I don't much like Chelsea either and delight in their failings on the pitch. Maybe that's a bit harsh though considering how good they've been to us, giving us over £200 million in cash, selling us Lamptey and Gilmour on the cheap, and taking one of the most hated managers in Brighton history off our hands along with some of our most hated players. Sounds like we should be thanking them for doing us so many favours! (sounds good if said in the voice of Sheldon from the big bang theory) 😜

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He also signed a new contract before the world cup, meaning he didn't leave for nothing the following summer so....
I don't think that's quite right - I think he'd have had a year left in the summer (ie, until 2024) anyway, so we'd still have got a reasonable chunk. I think he then signed to past 2024, but with a release clause (possibly specific to Liverpool).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hey, people can think what they want to think about these guys, but your general point holds true, that this is on many ways a hatred of Chelsea that is being projected onto these players. It's the false comparisons with MacAllister that bug me, we had to give in to his agents, yet its Caicedos who are the bad guys?

The whole thing indeed looked like a mess, but a mess that we certainly had a hand in making, and ultimately it was a mess that we did really well out off, his agents did really well out of, the twitter mouthpieces did really well out of, and he did really well out of, or at least will once Chelsea get a decent manager in charge. Who are the bad businessmen here?

Yeah, I don't much like Chelsea either and delight in their failings on the pitch. Maybe that's a bit harsh though considering how good they've been to us, giving us over £200 million in cash, selling us Lamptey and Gilmour on the cheap, and taking one of the most hated managers in Brighton history off our hands along with some of our most hated players. Sounds like we should be thanking them for doing us so many favours! (sounds good if said in the voice of Sheldon from the big bang theory) 😜
Macca put in several of seasons of service, went to the top his profession, winning a World Cup, but didn’t immediately force a move or make statements in public.

Caicedo was angling for a move after LESS than a full season FFS! Every suitor was a ‘dream move’. Had to be kept from training etc.

Only one looked sad to leave. Glad he’s the happpy one now.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Macca put in several of seasons of service, went to the top his profession, winning a World Cup, but didn’t immediately force a move or make statements in public.

Caicedo was angling for a move after LESS than a full season FFS! Every suitor was a ‘dream move’. Had to be kept from training etc.

Only one looked sad to leave. Glad he’s the happpy one now.

Yeah, what I've been saying for a while now. Cry on the pitch, you're golden 😆

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here