Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buy a house in Burnley for under £10,000

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes I do work for the BURNLEY tourist board. I still say you don't HAVE to live there if you buy a property. You can of course let it out. However I'd recommend you live there because it is great.

Bravo. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Burnley who enjoy living there. I also wouldn't be surprised if plenty of the posters on here who ridicule the town, have never even set foot there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Probably right but I'm sick of hearing "the north's economic problems are down to poor transport links" on the news. They clearly haven't tried commuting in the south-east if they think it's bad up there. (Yes, I realise there are exceptions).

having looked it up i have some sympathy: Burnley-Manchester takes 1h40 with 2 or 3 changes. considering thats 21 miles, thats pretty shocking.

theboybilly

having looked it up i have some sympathy: Burnley-Manchester takes 1h40 with 2 or 3 changes. considering thats 21 miles, thats pretty shocking.

I was going to go up by train on Saturday (on which the trains are running normally) and back on Sunday. The Rail Replacement buses will be packed with footie folk and Christmas shoppers so looked at the alternatives. There is an Express bus every 30 minutes or so to Manchester but that still takes an hour. I've decided to drive up. I really wish they hadn't moved this match.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Bravo. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Burnley who enjoy living there. I also wouldn't be surprised if plenty of the posters on here who ridicule the town, have never even set foot there.

Precisely - Slightly surprised at some of the sneering (actually not surprised), from many of who will be mortgaged to he hilt and in constant danger of losing some of their perceived 'wealth'. Small/no mortgage and plenty of disposable income? Yeah, I'd take that.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I've been to Burnley lots of times and it's a shithole. Also the most unpleasant fans I have ever come across in my travels (and I have been to most grounds).

Jan 10, 2014
Britain's bread hangs by Lancashire thread.

At its peak, over 750,000 people were employed in the cotton industry. Workers moved from the land to the industrial towns and cities to seek better paid employment in the mills.
Hard times - housing was often substandard but better pay didn't always result in better living conditions. In the silent film Slum Clearance (1938), the legacy of the poorly built, unplanned terraced housing is on show as inspectors measure and record conditions in preparation for improvement.

To escape the harsh working and living conditions, mill workers knew how to enjoy themselves and any occasion was an excuse for a fair.
Whilst wakes weeks were often spent at Blackpool as captured in the 1935 film Happy Memories, Great Harwood celebrated the Queen's Coronation with a weight lifting demonstration in a clip from 1953.
If the rise of Lancashire's cotton industry had been swift, then by comparison, the fall was painfully slow. The First World War saw the onset of a decline which would span the 20th century.

Jan 30, 2008
Last edited:

theboybilly

town centre, Asians for neighbour's ?the town centre so i'm told is nothing like it used to be, a lot of white British have moved out, the amount of Mosques in the town tells you all you need to know if that attracts you
regards
DR

According to the 2011 Census 87% White British, 10% Asian (both figures above the national average. It'll most likely be the lack of work (7% unemployed with 4% permanently unable to work) that will be the cause of the town looking a little worse for wear. Saturday/Sunday will be my first visit to Burnley and I'm rather looking forward to it. New people to meet, new pubs...It'll be good.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
town centre, Asians for neighbour's ?the town centre so i'm told is nothing like it used to be, a lot of white British have moved out, the amount of Mosques in the town tells you all you need to know if that attracts you........... whoops i'm talking about BLACKBURN :facepalm:
regards
DR

Have you set up special post alerts for:
a) match day ticket prices
b) race and religion
c) any kind of nostalgic revisiting of football's darker days

You never miss a trick...

stop press
How weird, some guy in Blackburn Rovers training top has just walked into the cafe....he must have moved out of the town...because of the.....I'll ask him and report back...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
According to the 2011 Census 87% White British, 10% Asian (both figures above the national average. It'll most likely be the lack of work (7% unemployed with 4% permanently unable to work) that will be the cause of the town looking a little worse for wear. Saturday/Sunday will be my first visit to Burnley and I'm rather looking forward to it. New people to meet, new pubs...It'll be good.

You'll get a one sentence answer, two if you're lucky. It won't say much, enough to provoke you into another factually correct, sensibly constructed response. You'll get another single sentence reply, with a smilie, probably a whistler, or a dunce, maybe a cow...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's 50 minutes with 0 changes from Burnley Manchester Road.

oh. i put in Burnley central, who know. 50 min, what are they complaining about?

Jan 30, 2008
have you set up special post alerts for:
A) match day ticket prices
b) race and religion
c) any kind of nostalgic revisiting of football's darker days

you never miss a trick...

Stop press
how weird, some guy in blackburn rovers training top has just walked into the cafe....he must have moved out of the town...because of the.....i'll ask him and report back...
well my mates form Blackburn, i guess he's just making it up then???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
You'll get a one sentence answer, two if you're lucky. It won't say much, enough to provoke you into another factually correct, sensibly constructed response. You'll get another single sentence reply, with a smilie, probably a whistler, or a dunce, maybe a cow...
???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here