[Football] Bruno has left Chelsea

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not a legend, for me, but I've got absolutely nothing against a guy who merely got a new/improved (better paid with potentially better opportunities) job.

Great player and captain for the Albion. Not in Dunk's league in terms of 'legend' status, though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Barber has been fairly open about the happenings around Potter's departure and he expressed the difficulties around Chelsea not only taking Potter and his staff, but also taking the club's interrim plan in Bruno & Roberts. (About 22 minutes in the interview below).

The culture of the club needs to be considered when weighing up the 'He couldn't be guaranteed a job' argument. I'm sure that he had worked with Bloom, Barber and his staff long enough to trust that he wasn't going to be out of the door as soon as the new bloke arrived. As it turned out, De Zerbi could have made great use of a Spanish speaking coach with an in-depth knowledge of the club and playing squad. It was a 'Sliding Doors' moment for Bruno and he will probably look back and consider what he could have had.

Incidentally, the story PB tells of Lallana and Crofts the following morning says everything you need to know about how AL eats, sleeps and drinks football. Klopp hailed him as one of the best players he has ever worked with. When all the cheap shots at his injury record are forgotten, I suspect that we'll be looking back at his being one of the most important signings this club ever made.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Barber has been fairly open about the happenings around Potter's departure and he expressed the difficulties around Chelsea not only taking Potter and his staff, but also taking the club's interrim plan in Bruno & Roberts. (About 22 minutes in the interview below).

The culture of the club needs to be considered when weighing up the 'He couldn't be guaranteed a job' argument. I'm sure that he had worked with Bloom, Barber and his staff long enough to trust that he wasn't going to be out of the door as soon as the new bloke arrived. As it turned out, De Zerbi could have made great use of a Spanish speaking coach with an in-depth knowledge of the club and playing squad. It was a 'Sliding Doors' moment for Bruno and he will probably look back and consider what he could have had.

Incidentally, the story PB tells of Lallana and Crofts the following morning says everything you need to know about how AL eats, sleeps and drinks football. Klopp hailed him as one of the best players he has ever worked with. When all the cheap shots at his injury record are forgotten, I suspect that we'll be looking back at his being one of the most important signings this club ever made.

To add to this, I was very lucky to get to attend a supporters clubs' introduction to RDZ last November with RDZ, Barber and Weir. Barber said very firmly at the time that the club had no ill feeling towards either Bruno or Ben Roberts who had more than served enough time being committed to the Albion to be held in high regard. He hoped that fans would see it similarly.

No mention of Potter and his pals in that regard however...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I realise I am in the minority here but I just think Bruno made a very, VERY bad decision to join Chelsea. A decision that he will regret for the rest of his life because - unlike all of the other turncoats - he was the ONLY legend being asked to jump ship so had the most to lose in the eyes of the fans.

For Potter, Hamburg, Reid etc the Chelsea move boils down to "That's football, it is what it is." Not for Bruno though. Nobody could have known Chelsea would have turned out to be as bad - or as toxic - as this.

I think it is easy to underestimate Bruno's influence on our football club during the first decade at the Amex in terms of style, professionalism, aspiration and specifically helping Lewis Dunk become the player and captain he is.

I'm not sure I'd want him back any time soon as the club have moved on, but I'd like to think one day he will be welcomed at The Amex once again.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Still has a restaurant named after him at the Amex though!
Not sure he does any more. Might just be because we haven't had a "glamour" tie yet but it hasn't been in operation for the last few games. Certainly wasn't yesterday or Thursday.

I used it once last season and it was f***ing awful.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
come again? Go with potter or likely be out of a job more like. Bloom was bringing in a new manager and 9 additional coaches. Don;t think loyalty to bloom was in his mind for good reason!
Andrew Crofts? I have no doubts at all that if he'd stayed he'd have continued to be an important member of staff. As I said, he chose Potter over Bloom (and the club-which includes us) and also waved goodbye to any "legend" status he may have had here.

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
He had the choice of taking one of two risks:

1. risk cutting ties with brighton, going with Potter and hoping everything goes well at Chelsea.
2. risk staying and hope that he keeps a position with the club and is able to continue developing his coaching career under a new manager.

As someone else has said, he backed the wrong horse and the risk hasn't paid off. I don't think he will, or should, come back, but he took what I assume will have been the more lucrative option in the short term and is hardly going to be on the breadline. In terms of how I feel about him? Relatively neutral, but a bit pissed off with him for fu*king up that decision because I would have loved to still have him around. Possibly even as a future manager. It WAS his choice to go though. Nobody else to blame for it.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Christmas Santa GIF by Happy Motion

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I just don't buy this for one minute. As if there a) wouldn't have been a role for Bruno at the Albion and b) if there wasn't once RDZ arrived then he couldn't have just joined Potter then. He gambled, and he lost. He backed the wrong horse, so tough luck mate. He had a job for life here and a genuine shot at being a Premier League manager in the next few years, but he threw it away by backing Potter over Bloom, so he'll have to make do with a mediocre coaching job in Spain instead.
Do you actually know what job for life he would have had? Greeting people at the restaurant and posing for selfies or AITC?
What if he wanted to be a coach.
It is almost certain that De Zerbi would want his own team with him.
I don´t blame him at all and wish him well.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I 'll wait to see what TB does on this, if he welcomes him back then that's good enough for me. If he doesn't then so be it, time has moved on and new heroes/legends will follow.

P.S. I think he is pretty settled in Hove (or wherever he lives locally)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here