Nov 9, 2009
Bruce has also soung with John Fogerty

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Nice one, will happily settle for either of those at Hyde Park

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I dispute that! My one and only time of seeing him in action (Earl's Court - early '00's) he did it as a slow blues which is how I think it was originally intended. I think he did the air punching version to dupe Middle America into thinking it was a great patriotic anthem which it clearly isn't even if you only half listen to the words. The same applies to the more recent "We Take Care Of Our Own".

He and the band were awesome that night.

Springsteen hates the song as he didn't "try to dupe middle America that it was a patriotic song", it was Reagan who used it as a patriotic song for his election campaign. Springsteen being a democrat was not impressed and since then, although he has done it live a far amount, he tends not to use it in his sets in the recent past. The song is the exact opposite of a patriotic song!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
One song that gets included regularly and early in his sets is Badlands, which is ever so much a political rant, with the elements of struggle, lost love, and redemption all rolled into one :rolleyes:

'Lights out tonight, trouble in the heartland.
Got a head-on collision, smashin in my guts man.
Im caught in a crossfire that I don't understand.
But there's one thing I know for sure girl:
I don't give a damn for the same old played out scenes
I don't give a damn for just the in-betweens.
Honey I want the heart, I want the soul, I want control right now.
You better listen to me baby:
Talk about a dream; try to make it real.
You wake up in the night with a fear so real.
You spend your life waiting for a moment that just don't come.
Well don't waste your time waiting

Badlands you gotta live it every day
Let the broken hearts stand
As the price youve gotta pay
Well keep pushin till it's understood
And these badlands start treating us good

Workin in the field till you get your back burned
Workin `neath the wheels till you get your facts learned.
Baby I got my facts learned real good right now.
You better get it straight darling:
Poor men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings,
And a king aint satisfied till he rules everything.
I wanna go out tonight, I wanna find out what I got.
Now I believe in the love that you gave me.
I believe in the faith that could save me.
I believe in the hope and I pray that some day it
Will raise me above these

Badlands...

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it aint no sin to be glad you're alive.
I wanna find one face that aint looking through me
I wanna find one place, I wanna spit in the face of these

Badlands...'

One song that gets included regularly and early in his sets is Badlands, which is ever so much a political rant, with the elements of struggle, lost love, and redemption all rolled into one :rolleyes:

'Lights out tonight, trouble in the heartland.
Got a head-on collision, smashin in my guts man.
Im caught in a crossfire that I don't understand.
But there's one thing I know for sure girl:
I don't give a damn for the same old played out scenes
I don't give a damn for just the in-betweens.
Honey I want the heart, I want the soul, I want control right now.
You better listen to me baby:
Talk about a dream; try to make it real.
You wake up in the night with a fear so real.
You spend your life waiting for a moment that just don't come.
Well don't waste your time waiting

Badlands you gotta live it every day
Let the broken hearts stand
As the price youve gotta pay
Well keep pushin till it's understood
And these badlands start treating us good

Workin in the field till you get your back burned
Workin `neath the wheels till you get your facts learned.
Baby I got my facts learned real good right now.
You better get it straight darling:
Poor men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings,
And a king aint satisfied till he rules everything.
I wanna go out tonight, I wanna find out what I got.
Now I believe in the love that you gave me.
I believe in the faith that could save me.
I believe in the hope and I pray that some day it
Will raise me above these

Badlands...

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it aint no sin to be glad you're alive.
I wanna find one face that aint looking through me
I wanna find one place, I wanna spit in the face of these

Badlands...'

Probably my favourite song by him and the band - great lyrics, and every intsrument has it's place in the tune and adds to it, coupled with a couple of short and to the point guitar (not sure by who - Bruce or Miami Steve) and sax (definitely know who by) solos. Sometimes the band version of "Atlantic City" beats it to my personal no 1 spot - I always consider that one as a storyline for a film set to music.

For time and place it had to be "Jungleland" as heard on a cassette player in my friends Cortina sometime in the early '80's whilst driving through a damp February night in South London looking for a party that we had been invited to.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I think it's a shame he doesn't do anything (or v. rarely) from Tunnel of Love, as it's prob my fave album (and am gutted I never saw the Tunnel of Love Express tour show at Wembley in '88!) I think it probably reminds him of his ill-fated early marriage, and her indoors now, Ms. Scialfa, most likely doesn't like to play songs about his ex-missus ???

Brilliant Disguise would be great played acoustically, and Tougher Than The Rest would be a show-stopper :rolleyes:

Fair port

Apr 19, 2012
Tom morello is billed under Nightwatchman his alternative band when he is not raging against the machine.
I reckon Ghost of Tom Joad will be third song in encore set with a Creedance song with John Fogerty at number 5 i am hoping it will be who will stop the rain or Proud Mary.
Cannot wait let's hope it is blazingly sunny day just for change the last one at Hyde Park was awesome
Final hope is he will play Jungleland hasn't been played on this tour yet may be rested in respect of the Big Man but would love to hear that song again live

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Thing that really pisses me off is the fact that Bruce is 63. I don't really want to eulogize about a 63 year old man in denims with dyed hair. I'm looking for someone 40 years younger to excite and inspire me musically. As far as I know there is simply no one out there. Cory Chisel's delivery in my opinion is completely and utterly beyond belief, but he doesn't write great songs. It's a bit like trying to find the new George Best. 40 years on and we're still looking....................

Thing that really pisses me off is the fact that Bruce is 63. I don't really want to eulogize about a 63 year old man in denims with dyed hair. I'm looking for someone 40 years younger to excite and inspire me musically. As far as I know there is simply no one out there. Cory Chisel's delivery in my opinion is completely and utterly beyond belief, but he doesn't write great songs. It's a bit like trying to find the new George Best. 40 years on and we're still looking....................

Ed Sheerhan.

NOT!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local

It's a shame that what we seem to have now is X Factor type pop 'stars'. Here for five minutes, then never to be heard of again. A lot of people like constants in their music, and BS has been playing music for prob over 50 years, which is some experience he's gained :rolleyes:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sky Arts channel 129 has The IoW festival tonight featuring The Boss Live, Sky+ it while the football is on

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Maybe 'Real' live music never has recovered from the loss of Mercury and Bolan ?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Bruce on now, Sky channel 129

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Springsteen hates the song as he didn't "try to dupe middle America that it was a patriotic song", it was Reagan who used it as a patriotic song for his election campaign. Springsteen being a democrat was not impressed and since then, although he has done it live a far amount, he tends not to use it in his sets in the recent past. The song is the exact opposite of a patriotic song!

Well he played Born In the USA at IoW on Sunday night!!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
How to end a festival
[yt]vNAG0yViy8I[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here