Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Rovers new ground

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I don't think the Mem is a classic ground. Opportunity to stand on terracing was always nice, and proximity to pubs will be missed though.

In any case, as a UWE grad, glad to see this plan has come off. Hopefully Rovers can now overtake the City scum and get a Bristol team competitive in top two divisions.

UWE grad here too, great to see it being built at Frenchay. do you know where abouts the stadium is being built on the grounds?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
UWE grad here too, great to see it being built at Frenchay. do you know where abouts the stadium is being built on the grounds?

I got the impression it was opposite, off the roundabout. Mind you, HP were talking of moving on and the neurological hospital further down the road was going to move to Southmead or Frenchay hospitals I thought, so it could be there.

Always struck me that there were plenty of open spaces around there.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I got the impression it was opposite, off the roundabout. Mind you, HP were talking of moving on and the neurological hospital further down the road was going to move to Southmead or Frenchay hospitals I thought, so it could be there.

Always struck me that there were plenty of open spaces around there.

UWE own the HP land so i thought it was going to be there but seems they are building even more accomodation around that area. You're right though opposite the roundabout where the current student car park is is a huge area. Just off motorway and only 10-15 min walk from Parkway station. Just a lack of decent pubs close by.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

No I'm quite interested to figure it out though. It's changed so much since I left in 2005 anyway with development of a whole student village. The only problem with the area as a site for a football ground is the fact that it's quite disconnected and soulless an area. Hopefully they build some good bars - of a much larger size than Dicks Bar (*** Rovers fan alert *** BUILD LOTS OF BARS, THEY ARE A CASH COW)

edit: it's clearly not disconnected by road - I meant more in a social/community sense.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So which gets finished first? Rovers or City?

Big old place, Bristol, could easily support a couple of successful clubs.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A sainsbury's on the Mem site? There's a Saino's literally a mile away!

Every other shop is a Sainsburys nowadays anyways , either that or a Starbucks.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Like Rovers - nice people and the stewards there actually have a sense of
humour.

Good luck to them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
humour.

Good luck to them.
Can't agree with that, they're amongst the worst stewards I've ever come across. Not allowed to take ANY drink into the ground, even a bottle of water with the lid off. Would not let us swap our seat tickets for terrace tickets and very rude.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I had a joke with them about bringing my sandwiches into the
ground and they seemed ok. Never found out what happened
to the missing ones though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
humour.

Good luck to them.

Can't agree with that, they're amongst the worst stewards I've ever come across. Not allowed to take ANY drink into the ground, even a bottle of water with the lid off. Would not let us swap our seat tickets for terrace tickets and very rude.

Perhaps - like at any ground - there are good and bad stewards at Rovers?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
No I'm quite interested to figure it out though. It's changed so much since I left in 2005 anyway with development of a whole student village. The only problem with the area as a site for a football ground is the fact that it's quite disconnected and soulless an area. Hopefully they build some good bars - of a much larger size than Dicks Bar (*** Rovers fan alert *** BUILD LOTS OF BARS, THEY ARE A CASH COW)

edit: it's clearly not disconnected by road - I meant more in a social/community sense.

i agree, wherever it is on the campus it will be slightly disconnected from the traditional rovers area and the matchday atmosphere imo wouldn't be as good as a couple of pints down glos rd!!

i started in 2006 so was the first year in the new student accomodation - very good it was too...i miss the Bristol life

gasheadgeorge

Nov 20, 2013
Hello, unfortunately we have hit a stumbling block with our stadium as a small group (associated with the green party) called TRASH have submitted a judicial review. This is against the planning permission of Sainsbury’s building on the land of our current stadium, without this we will not be able to sell our current stadium to fund building our new one the UWE.

This group have set up a limited company which they intend of bankrupting to avoid all legal costs, meaning that the taxpayer will end up paying their fees. Below is a link to a petition set up by Charlotte Leslie (A conservative MP) against TRASH to stop the judicial review, even if this fails at stopping the judicial review, this petition can be used to support our case when the review happens so any signatures will be much appreciated!
http://www.bristolsnottrash.bristolpetitions.com/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here