Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton voted worst seaside resort.....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's the biggest disgrace of all. If you have a Green-run council, surely they should be thinking about some cycle lanes but all we've had from them is a proposal for Edward St. The Tories were more bike-friendly than the Greens, which is surely counter-intuitive

Not quite. The Greens are striving to get the Edward Street cycle lanes in, which means another round of funding applications. The application will probably happen before the election, and the money come in after it.

I think the Tory sanctioned cuts to council budgets might play a part here....if you have a choice between a care home and a cycle path I can guess which will take the hit.

Nail on head.

While the government gives every council has an obligation to promote sustainable transport, they then slash funding. Plus you then get the mixed message of Eric Pickles now promoting more car use in city centres - a suggestion that has been poo-poohed by the Local Government Association.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
5.9ksharesBrighton is voted worst resort in UK because it's 'so trendy, has dreadful parking and is full of clubbers'
Brighton topped the poll with 40 per cent of the vote

PUBLISHED: 01:24, 24 August 2013 | UPDATED: 01:24, 24 August 2013
5,929 shares 95
View
comments
Brighton has been voted the worst seaside resort in the UK because it’s too trendy.

Blackpool, Skegness and Bournemouth all beat Brighton in the poll, despite the fact many would consider those towns to be more run-down.

Most holidaymakers were put off by Brighton because of its trendiness, dreadful parking, and the prevalence of clubbers in garish outfits making the most of the town’s famed nightlife.

Too much: Holidaymakers are put off Brighton by its overcrowding and rowdy night life

Some of the 2,500 people polled cited Brighton and Hove City Council’s plans to introduce ‘Mx’ – a gender neutral title for transsexuals – on official forms, and gender neutral toilets as a reason why they disliked the town so much.

Others accused the locals of having ‘chips on their shoulders’ and said the resort was ‘full of bohemians and bad art’.
Full story...

Isn't that an Oxymoron?? If holidaymakers were being put off....it wouldn't be overcrowded.

They haven't thought this through!!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Isn't that an Oxymoron?? If holidaymakers were being put off....it wouldn't be overcrowded.

They haven't thought this through!!

it can still be overcrowded and yet people are put off. some people dont go but thousands still do. its still overcrowded. the people put off are not the exact number that would make the place not crowded. why would it be an oxymoron? you havent thought this through more like.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Brighton has RISEN recently to become the 2nd most visited destination in the UK after London....actions etc etc

it can still be overcrowded and yet people are put off. some people dont go but thousands still do. its still overcrowded. the people put off are not the exact number that would make the place not crowded. why would it be an oxymoron? you havent thought this through more like.

How busy is "just right" then? People didn't seem to be put off yesterday. Lady in the chip shop said that it had been a very good bank holiday weekend - for her boss!

Went to Seaford as well. Beach was busy by the standards of Seaford, but still plenty of room. If you just wanted to lay quietly in the sunshine by the sea (and didn't mind the pebbles) it is a good to place to go - but is it a seaside resort??

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton

Fair enough! Thanks.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well I mostly like Brighton. Obviously.

But I do think some residents have a tendency to disappear up their own arses when it comes to singing its praises.

It's not bloody San Francisco.

Agreed. Brighton is a great place but it does have too many trendies (you voted the greens in for goodnessake!), it does have too many stag and hen do's especially in the summer and some of the sights you see that are going out to discos are errrmmm interesting to say the least.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well I mostly like Brighton. Obviously.

But I do think some residents have a tendency to disappear up their own arses when it comes to singing its praises.

It's not bloody San Francisco.

I'm glad a 'local' can point this out, sums up my thoughts precisely. Brighton is a decent provincial town/city with its good bits and bad bits like every other town or city, just enjoy it.... And if you think it's the best city ever, then fine but don't get upset that many people won't agree with you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All I was saying really is that there does seem to be a fair few residents who regard Brighton as some sort of paradise. Yes, it's not half bad, as seaside resorts (sorry) go, but the "London by the sea" tag always seems unbearably pretentious to me (unless we're talking parking prices).

The quality thing is, nobody would even have noticed or remembered this poll had the local council and the Argus not got all huffy about it. Some people think Brighton is crap. Big deal. Move on.

All I was saying really is that there does seem to be a fair few residents who regard Brighton as some sort of paradise. Yes, it's not half bad, as seaside resorts (sorry) go, but the "London by the sea" tag always seems unbearably pretentious to me (unless we're talking parking prices).

The quality thing is, nobody would even have noticed or remembered this poll had the local council and the Argus not got all huffy about it. Some people think Brighton is crap. Big deal. Move on.

Edna - the voice of reason - possibly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Like all big towns and cities,Brighton has its good and bad parts.
Personally,I used to enjoy the place more when I was younger(I do not live in Brighton),although my sister who is about my age lives near Preston Park and loves it.
My wife enjoys shopping in Brighton but doesn't visit as much as she might because of the outrageous cost and aggro of parking.It isn't always convenient to take the train and have to carry bags with you all day.
I don't really regard it as a seaside resort and would no more holiday there than lie on a bed of razors.Like London,ok to visit for a day.
Have to agree with Edna re disappearing up own arses and personally,I can't stand the Greens and I am not surprised one bit that it was Brighton that got a Green Council;it just about sums the place up!
Like the football team though.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

but i think there you are looking at the divide between ages. Younger people probably do regard Brighton as a sort of london on the coast because of what they use it for. Most family people who are 40+ will wonder what the hell they are talking about.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When I was younger, I liked the idea of living there.

Now I've grown up a bit, I wouldn't remotely want to. Maybe the result of working there for a few years and seeing all the downside. I suppose it's fine to be proud of where you live, that's fair enough. But I do find a disproportionate number of Brightonians tend to get a little bit precious about their city, and that must come across as annoying or arrogant to outsiders.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Due to a bad relocation decision I spent half of the Eighties and most of the nineties living away from Brighton. I was so pleased to come back in '97 (6 days after THE Hereford game). I have never taken the place for granted since then. It has it's faults but it's a biggish town with good night life, large amounts of nice countyside within easy reach and 2 sports teams who have seen large amounts of success in the last 10 years or more.
So let them say what they want!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most family people who are 40+ will wonder what the hell they are talking about.

I am sure there are plenty of 40+ down-from-London types who will see Brighton as London-on-sea and possibly moved to Brighton for the sole reason of having a family.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I am sure there are plenty of 40+ down-from-London types who will see Brighton as London-on-sea and possibly moved to Brighton for the sole reason of having a family.

london by sea is a very old term, it far predates the recent wave of property boom londoner migration.

i think thats part of the brighton inferiority complex (which is a lot of what this talking it up, is all about). its basically a resort, entertainment centre and overspill to a massive global city. thats why you have people comparing it to places that its nothing like, and claiming its nothing like places like blackpool which its fundamentally the same as.

its always been london by sea but its only recently become camden by sea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
the "London by the sea" tag always seems unbearably pretentious to me (unless we're talking parking prices).

Pretentious!? I've always considered that tag to be a bit of a SLUR, and kind of assumed it was meant as such? To me its a suggestion that the town doesn't truly have its own character, and that it's no more than a seaside annex of London.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agreed. Brighton is a great place but it does have too many trendies (you voted the greens in for goodnessake!), it does have too many stag and hen do's especially in the summer and some of the sights you see that are going out to discos are errrmmm interesting to say the least.

You can't, as a general rule, blame Brightonians for that.

Shaz and Kaz with their black and pink 'Leatherhead Girls on the P**s' T-shirts, with the obligatory 'L' plate for the bride-to-be etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here