Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton voted worst seaside resort.....

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Exactly. It's more realistic and useful to compare Brighton to Bristol, Nottingham and Newcastle than with Scarborough, Blackpool and Torquay. That is not to say that it doesn't rely on tourism.

blackpool is far more similar to brighton than nottingham bristol or newcastle, all industrial or port cities. this is utter madness. believe what you want mate but that is utterly bonkers what you have just said. much as you would like it to be the case, it isnt, and thats a fact. nothing wrong with it being a seaside town, and it doesnt make you provincial or backward looking to admit it.

it is almost TOTALLY reliant on tourism and entertainment, and most of that is fairly traditional, to say its evolved is not so much a reflection on the town but tourism itself. blackpool may be more garish and northern and traditional, but its not the same place it was in the 80s either.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Any coastal town has to work twice as hard as inland ones because half of it's catchment area is water.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We're from out of town and Brighton is our destination of choice for a day out. We know so many many who've never lived near that love it too. Bournemouth is another place we'd go to but won't go very often because it a lot further to go.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
But you are wrong, as proved by the statistics. Every single hotel in Brighton is full, every weekend of the year. The people coming here between september and april are coming for shops, restaurants, gigs, theatres and clubs, not because it's by the sea. A very large proportion of people who come in the summer also come for these reasons. It is a city break destination not primarily a seaside destination. Hence the comparison with Barcelona. The poster quite clearly stated Brighton is nothing like Barcelona. But the point is, most people do not come to brighton because it is by the seaside. Hence Brighton isnt desolate in the winter unlike every other seaside resort.

that bits my favourite

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kevo .....
"Of course both the Mail and the Torygraph despise Brighton because they think it's full of gays, lefties and greens....." er perhaps because IT IS you doughnut! pat your guide dog for me mate .....they do a great job

Mick and grannyweatherwax, I'm not denying it - just saying that's why they don't like Brighton!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
More like Bognor than Barcelona.

i would disagree. i would say brightons more like new york, or tokyo. we are almost at this level of delusion or wishful thinking so we might as well jump in with both feet. but not in the sea as no one goes to brighton for the seaside.

brighton-beach_798429c.jpg

but whatever you say dont its like bognor or another british seaside town.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i would disagree. i would say brightons more like new york, or tokyo. we are almost at this level of delusion or wishful thinking so we might as well jump in with both feet. but not in the sea as no one goes to brighton for the seaside.

View attachment 46428

but whatever you say dont its like bognor or another british seaside town.

That's the photo The Guardian uses whenever there is a heat wave.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More tailored to the discerning customer......

?? But the poster said Brighton is a lot more than a seaside resort (with it's main industry as tourism-and let not forget half the working population seems to work in London) But what is the 'lot more?' Brighton is a bloody brilliant place, it really is, but it is still a seaside place.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Arsegas poll is here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Certainly not car friendly due to the Greens inane unused cycle lanes popping up everywhere and excessive car parking charges, also very dirty and grubby everytime I go into town crap everywhere not the selling point our city needs and I live here

... says the man for the paradise state of Portslade.

Anyway, I think you mean the Tories. The Greens have never put any cycle lanes in.

As for the poll - it's very silly and it doesn't exist. The more the Daily Mail hates Brighton, the better Brightonian should feel about the place.

What? Building railway locomotives?

51 years = 1,608,336,000,000 milliseconds.

Thanks for reminding us of the heavy industry of the past Lord B - last loco built there as late as 1957 - 80154 Standard Class 4 2-6-4 for us anoraks.

I would dispute the worst seaside resort based on today. Lovely bank holiday afternoon spent strolling along the prom from the Marina Car Park. Reasonably priced chips at the Seagull, a couple of plays for the young Pottings at the playground where Peter Pan used to be, some 2p drop activity on the pier (won two small bouncy balls and a lolly with the tickets earned, woo, woo) and a gentle stroll back. Wished I could have stopped and watched "Brighton Rock" (B&W original) which had just started on the open air screen as we bought ice creams by the big wheel at around 18:45, still warm, still hardy souls swimming.

And here is a pic. of sunset over the Palace Pier (why did they feel the need to change the name?)

26th August 2013 Bank Holiday at Seaford and Eastbourne (10).JPG

Do we really care what the poll said?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyway, I think you mean the Tories. The Greens have never put any cycle lanes in.

That's the biggest disgrace of all. If you have a Green-run council, surely they should be thinking about some cycle lanes but all we've had from them is a proposal for Edward St. The Tories were more bike-friendly than the Greens, which is surely counter-intuitive

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I mostly like Brighton. Obviously.

But I do think some residents have a tendency to disappear up their own arses when it comes to singing its praises.

It's not bloody San Francisco.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's the biggest disgrace of all. If you have a Green-run council, surely they should be thinking about some cycle lanes but all we've had from them is a proposal for Edward St. The Tories were more bike-friendly than the Greens, which is surely counter-intuitive

I think the Tory sanctioned cuts to council budgets might play a part here....if you have a choice between a care home and a cycle path I can guess which will take the hit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for reminding us of the heavy industry of the past Lord B - last loco built there as late as 1957 - 80154 Standard Class 4 2-6-4 for us anoraks.

I would dispute the worst seaside resort based on today. Lovely bank holiday afternoon spent strolling along the prom from the Marina Car Park. Reasonably priced chips at the Seagull, a couple of plays for the young Pottings at the playground where Peter Pan used to be, some 2p drop activity on the pier (won two small bouncy balls and a lolly with the tickets earned, woo, woo) and a gentle stroll back. Wished I could have stopped and watched "Brighton Rock" (B&W original) which had just started on the open air screen as we bought ice creams by the big wheel at around 18:45, still warm, still hardy souls swimming.

And here is a pic. of sunset over the Palace Pier (why did they feel the need to change the name?)

View attachment 46450

Do we really care what the poll said?

Get yourself another 10 photos like this one and you can join in with all the other identikit open houses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here