Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton voted worst seaside resort.....

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think your replies quite nicely illustrate the problem. Some people stuck in the past are still expecting some sort of 1950's seaside experience. But the place has moved beyond that. Brighton isn't really a seaside resort anymore, well at least not in the way Bournemouth or Blackpool cling on to.

your replies illustrate the problem. lets see how many milliseconds brighton lasts without its traditional industry.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It is a seaside resort. It's industry is tourism. I agree it is different to the other big UK seaside resorts but not very different as you make out.

Sure tourism is a big deal, but it's not mainly about the seaside anymore, at least not in the traditional way of resorts like Torquay or Scarborough.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Sure tourism is a big deal, but it's not mainly about the seaside anymore, at least not in the traditional way of resorts like Torquay or Scarborough.

they have all adapted to a certain extent. brighton is by no means unique in having done that. there is still a massive domestic tourism market. you seem to be saying brighton is some radically different place that has redefined its self while the rest of them are still having knobbly knee contests. brighton and one of the countries biggest draws is the pier. thats hardly the gardner centre is it?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
your replies illustrate the problem. lets see how many milliseconds brighton lasts without its traditional industry.

As usual you're missing the point. The tourism industry in Brighton has largely moved beyond the traditional bucket and spade knotted hanky on the beach holiday. Brighton has evolved into something more, a bit like Barcelona, it's a city you visit that happens to be by the sea, but that's not really why most people go there. ( nb I'm not claiming Brighton is any way in the same league as Barcelona)

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
5.9ksharesBrighton is voted worst resort in UK because it's 'so trendy, has dreadful parking and is full of clubbers'
Brighton topped the poll with 40 per cent of the vote

PUBLISHED: 01:24, 24 August 2013 | UPDATED: 01:24, 24 August 2013
5,929 shares 95
View
comments
Brighton has been voted the worst seaside resort in the UK because it’s too trendy.

Blackpool, Skegness and Bournemouth all beat Brighton in the poll, despite the fact many would consider those towns to be more run-down.

Most holidaymakers were put off by Brighton because of its trendiness, dreadful parking, and the prevalence of clubbers in garish outfits making the most of the town’s famed nightlife.

Too much: Holidaymakers are put off Brighton by its overcrowding and rowdy night life

Some of the 2,500 people polled cited Brighton and Hove City Council’s plans to introduce ‘Mx’ – a gender neutral title for transsexuals – on official forms, and gender neutral toilets as a reason why they disliked the town so much.

Others accused the locals of having ‘chips on their shoulders’ and said the resort was ‘full of bohemians and bad art’.
Full story...

I can imagine nothing worse than having the live among bohemians.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As usual you're missing the point. The tourism industry in Brighton has largely moved beyond the traditional bucket and spade knotted hanky on the beach holiday. Brighton has evolved into something more, a bit like Barcelona, it's a city you visit that happens to be by the sea, but that's not really why most people go there. ( nb I'm not claiming Brighton is any way in the same league as Barcelona)

the barcelona comparison! the classic. sorry mate but you are talking nonsense. its a seaside town. its exactly this attitude that makes it a laughing stock around the rest of the country though.

you really believe that most visitors are not coming for the traditional seaside experience??????? total and utter nonsense.

you can believe what you like about the place, its not up to me.

Dandyman

In London village.
Do many residents give a toss if someone from outlying Sussex cannot park his car outside Primark? Probably not.

I am saving this quote for November when the inhabitants of the fishing village start spouting their usual ill-informed nonsense and whining about Bonfire Night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What is this 'more'?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What is this 'more'?

a couple of IT recruitment companies and a needle exchange.

very few brightonians i know buy into the myth and the fanshawe inspired silliness in fact they take the pis s out of it and find it embarrassing.

like most people i know laugh at people who say 'city' at every opportunity.

D

Deleted User X18H

a couple of IT recruitment companies and a needle exchange.

very few brightonians i know buy into the myth and the fanshawe inspired silliness in fact they take the pis s out of it and find it embarrassing.

like most people i know laugh at people who say 'city' at every opportunity.
This! Poor old Meg, he's not from Brighton

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
they have all adapted to a certain extent. brighton is by no means unique in having done that. there is still a massive domestic tourism market. you seem to be saying brighton is some radically different place that has redefined its self while the rest of them are still having knobbly knee contests. brighton and one of the countries biggest draws is the pier. thats hardly the gardner centre is it?

This is pretty much how I see it too. The major problem to me, with Brighton, is the overcrowding and lack of space. It's a victim of its own success.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Brighton also a shite beach fecking pebbles littered with glass and hyperdermic needles, Lovely.

It's a great town ( i still don't consider it a city such as Manchester,Leeds or Sheffield) it just doesn't have the facilities and infrastructure as these Cities. It does what it does very well, great resturants, pubs and a chilled out vibe. It is a city for the "young proffesional" i fecking hate that expression but it's not a family place like say Scarborough or Torquay are.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course both the Mail and the Torygraph despise Brighton because they think it's full of gays, lefties and greens - so any opportunity to have a dig at our great city and they'll make the most of it.

But it is!

....and that is to be celebrated as we are different to Scarborough, Blackpool and Skegness! Who are full of drunken jocks, fat legging wearing northern women and miserable flat cap wearing whippet buggerers! ( note..one of these statements may be exaggerated)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can you expand on this please. I'm genuinely interested.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Brighton also a shite beach fecking pebbles littered with glass and hyperdermic needles, Lovely.

It's a great town ( i still don't consider it a city such as Manchester,Leeds or Sheffield) it just doesn't have the facilities and infrastructure as these Cities. It does what it does very well, great resturants, pubs and a chilled out vibe. It is a city for the "young proffesional" i fecking hate that expression but it's not a family place like say Scarborough or Torquay are.

Absolutely. I might add that I see Brighton as a place that isn't defined soley by its beach like Scarborough et al are. It offers a bit more. It could also be a rival to arty places like Bristol or Norwich.

Last edited:

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
Kevo .....
"Of course both the Mail and the Torygraph despise Brighton because they think it's full of gays, lefties and greens....." er perhaps because IT IS you doughnut! pat your guide dog for me mate .....they do a great job

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
the barcelona comparison! the classic. sorry mate but you are talking nonsense. its a seaside town. its exactly this attitude that makes it a laughing stock around the rest of the country though.

you really believe that most visitors are not coming for the traditional seaside experience??????? total and utter nonsense.

you can believe what you like about the place, its not up to me.
But you are wrong, as proved by the statistics. Every single hotel in Brighton is full, every weekend of the year. The people coming here between september and april are coming for shops, restaurants, gigs, theatres and clubs, not because it's by the sea. A very large proportion of people who come in the summer also come for these reasons. It is a city break destination not primarily a seaside destination. Hence the comparison with Barcelona. The poster quite clearly stated Brighton is nothing like Barcelona. But the point is, most people do not come to brighton because it is by the seaside. Hence Brighton isnt desolate in the winter unlike every other seaside resort.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Absolutely. I might add that I see Brighton as a place that isn't defined soley by its beach like Scarborough et al are. It offers a bit more. It could also be a rival to arty places like Bristol or Norwich

Exactly. It's more realistic and useful to compare Brighton to Bristol, Nottingham and Newcastle than with Scarborough, Blackpool and Torquay. That is not to say that it doesn't rely on tourism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here