Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton voted worst seaside resort.....

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I don't regard Brighton as a Seaside Resort. It is very different. Perhaps that's why I would be regarded as a bit 'Up Myself'. But you cannot compare Brighton to other coastal 'resorts'. Simply because it isn't a reflection of homogenized culture.

If seeing a gender neutral title upsets your inherent prejudices then go find your kiss me quick seaside alternative.

This is my home town, and I love it because it is so transient and in your face.

When I first came to Brighton, in the sixties, I lived for a whole year in a guest house in Burlington Street, that was run by the Chairman of the Brighton Hoteliers and Restaurants Association. I remember him telling me then that Brighton's future lay as something other than the "holiday resort" it had been for decades.

He was right. Blackpool, Skegness and Bournemouth obviously haven't yet thrown off the shackles of their past. In a poll of "best seaside resort", we should be proud to come well below them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
When I first came to Brighton, in the sixties, I lived for a whole year in a guest house in Burlington Street, that was run by the Chairman of the Brighton Hoteliers and Restaurants Association. I remember him telling me then that Brighton's future lay as something other than the "holiday resort" it had been for decades.

He was right. Blackpool, Skegness and Bournemouth obviously haven't yet thrown off the shackles of their past. In a poll of "best seaside resort", we should be proud to come well below them.

In fairness to Blackpool,Skegness and Bournemouth they have never been able to attract the commercial business(Monday - Thursday) that Brighton over the years has managed to diversify into(and where the big midweek money is).They are still reliant on a large scale for people taking a weeks holiday in the resort,absolutely brilliant for the summer months but come winter they struggle,as is the same with Eastbourne and to a lesser extent Worthing(who have at least made some effort to mix it up with both business clients and holiday makers)

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
The Daily Telegraph has put it on the FRONT PAGE of tomorrow's paper. A story emanating from a crap internet poll that could easily have been rigged, hosted on a website no-one's heard of. Truly appalling journalism.

Of course both the Mail and the Torygraph despise Brighton because they think it's full of gays, lefties and greens - so any opportunity to have a dig at our great city and they'll make the most of it.

Correct.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Brighton is a young person's city now, it's the place to be for good eating, total diversity and of course, the night life. If people want to sit on deckchairs or walk along the prom prom prom, they can go 20 miles up the road to Eastbourne. Brighton doesn't have holiday parks full of static caravans like Great Yarmouth or Western super mare does or tons of camp sites nor are there miles of seafront arcades and attractions, which show's this is not a place for the usual holiday maker.

I wonder what the poll would've been if they asked 2,000 18-30 year olds ?

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The Daily Telegraph has put it on the FRONT PAGE of tomorrow's paper. A story emanating from a crap internet poll that could easily have been rigged, hosted on a website no-one's heard of. Truly appalling journalism.

Of course both the Mail and the Torygraph despise Brighton because they think it's full of gays, lefties and greens - so any opportunity to have a dig at our great city and they'll make the most of it.

Exactly!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At least we were not voted worst due to being a shithole (Blackpool), or cold and windy (Scarborough), or dull and boring (Llandudno).

Voted worst because of crap parking and too trendy..........oh well.......

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sort-UK-trendy-dreadful-parking-clubbers.html

Daily Mail garbage. Which later in the article says this: Scarborough and Bournemouth ranked fourth and fifth, while Torquay and Llandudno seemed to offend the least getting just 5 and 4 per cent of the vote in the poll by the Real Holiday Reports review website. A report has found that 27 per cent of England’s 31 biggest seaside towns are ‘deprived’.
Brighton did not feature on the list, which was topped by Skegness, Blackpool and Clacton.

Thee website the poll is taken from is an embarrassment. Can't believe the mail turned that into a story. Oh wait, yes I can. http://www.realholidayreports.com/strawpoll/default.asp
I like Torquay and Llandudno....oh no!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I like Torquay and Llandudno....oh no!

Llandudno is fantastic! As has already been mentioned, it's a bit of a difficult comparison - No-one actually comes on holiday to Brighton do they? I can imagine Bournemouth with the New Forest and the Dorset coast etc, Llandudno with north Wales coast, Snowdonia but Brighton is a place people day trip in isn't it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Never viewed it as a 'resort'. It's a thousand things more than a seaside town for people's chip munching beach holidays.

i love the place but thats still its core. denying that is what has changed brighton for the worse in the last decade or so.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Certainly not car friendly due to the Greens inane unused cycle lanes popping up everywhere and excessive car parking charges, also very dirty and grubby everytime I go into town crap everywhere not the selling point our city needs and I live here

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Brighton is a young person's city now, it's the place to be for good eating, total diversity and of course, the night life. If people want to sit on deckchairs or walk along the prom prom prom, they can go 20 miles up the road to Eastbourne. Brighton doesn't have holiday parks full of static caravans like Great Yarmouth or Western super mare does or tons of camp sites nor are there miles of seafront arcades and attractions, which show's this is not a place for the usual holiday maker.

I wonder what the poll would've been if they asked 2,000 18-30 year olds ?

its not a city and its not diverse. see its this guff that gets spouted that makes people dislike it. the utter delusion and self mythologising.

diverse my bollocks. got to be one of the least diverse major towns in the south of England. Whats the matter with people?? it doesn't matter, living in a relatively homogenous town doesn't make you a bad or unsophisticated person, don't worry about it.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10631524.Is_this_man_the_only_Sikh_in_Brighton_and_Hove_/

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At least we were not voted worst due to being a shithole (Blackpool), or cold and windy (Scarborough), or dull and boring (Llandudno).

Llandudno's not dull and boring - it's a lovely place. And, as mentioned, it's not too far away from Snowdonia either. But Blackpool really is the toilet of the country.

As others have said, it's a meaningless poll, it must be a slow news day if it's making headlines

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Which is pleasing.

For whom ?? This will be the reason that the city centre will turn into a ghost town shop wise with only charity and tick tack shops which sell nothing useful. We need to encourage people to visit and not put them off with over zealous anti car policies currently being applied. The Greens will kill Brighton as a shopping centre

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't regard Brighton as a Seaside Resort. It is very different. Perhaps that's why I would be regarded as a bit 'Up Myself'. But you cannot compare Brighton to other coastal 'resorts'. Simply because it isn't a reflection of homogenized culture.

If seeing a gender neutral title upsets your inherent prejudices then go find your kiss me quick seaside alternative.

This is my home town, and I love it because it is so transient and in your face.

total and utter rhubarb.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For whom ?? This will be the reason that the city centre will turn into a ghost town shop wise with only charity and tick tack shops which sell nothing useful. We need to encourage people to visit and not put them off with over zealous anti car policies currently being applied. The Greens will kill Brighton as a shopping centre

For whom?? Visitors, residents, business. A city which is free and open with minimal cars is much more attractive to visitors than one clogged up and choking with traffic. Business can do more business if the infrastructure is not clogged up with needless journies. Residents get a better quality of life and you have to remember Brighton ultimately belongs to the residents. Do many residents give a toss if someone from outlying Sussex cannot park his car outside Primark? Probably not.

I recall similar scare mongering when the London congestion charge came in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't regard Brighton as a Seaside Resort. It is very different.

It is a seaside resort. It's industry is tourism. I agree it is different to the other big UK seaside resorts but not very different as you make out.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
total and utter rhubarb.

I think your replies quite nicely illustrate the problem. Some people stuck in the past are still expecting some sort of 1950's seaside experience. But the place has moved beyond that. Brighton isn't really a seaside resort anymore, well at least not in the way Bournemouth or Blackpool cling on to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here