[Albion] Brighton reject £5million for Dunk

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Something must be happening as we have signed 2 centre backs perhaps Barnsley have renewed their interest in GG. Or even perhaps a team in Scotland to let him go back home.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Whats with these split payments, for player transfers? If a premier club is sniffing about, I'd want major %age of fee up front, in case they stiff us later by cancelling player contract (if future ££ based on appearances, goals etc).

Also, If LD was thinking of leaving last year, did BHA do a nice deal, to boost his value with a 4 year contract, knowing someone might want him much sooner?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
even with ulloa most were saying 5m and I thought 7/8m but they even got more than I expected
you cannot beat a bit of class and Dunk has that a bit rough round the edges but age will stop that
my prediction is he will go to a prem club for maybe 7/8m

"Most were saying" was just the uninformed tittle-tattle that happens on here between people who know zilch and speculate based on speculation.

My post was prompted by your implication that TB/PB are wet behind the ears in the transfer market. That really does them a disservice; I would suggest they are extremely well clued in and there are many factors involved and many considerations to be made that none of us who are not in the know have any idea about.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Newcastle, possibly Everton interested. Fulham can give a little more if they really want him, and if Dunk doesn't go, we have kept hold of a superb young player. Well done Bloom!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"Most were saying" was just the uninformed tittle-tattle that happens on here between people who know zilch and speculate based on speculation.

My post was prompted by your implication that TB/PB are wet behind the ears in the transfer market. That really does them a disservice; I would suggest they are extremely well clued in and there are many factors involved and many considerations to be made that none of us who are not in the know have any idea about.

now maybe but what about the time we had Burke in there
there is a list of players that we had in that really were not up to the mark
we are still trying to rid ourselves of these players.
TB/PB oversaw much of this at the time, not sure if it was this thread but I have said its a very steep learning curve for us as fans and them as the holders of the purse strings.
this season they seem to have done very well with the input of a very astute manager and his management team

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Again whatever happens Barbs WILL GET TOP DOLLAR so either way it'll be a "win" even if not so much for the playing side certainly the coffers.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
[/B][/I][/U]now maybe but what about the time we had Burke in there
TB/PB oversaw much of this at the time, not sure if it was this thread but I have said its a very steep learning curve for us as fans and them as the holders of the purse strings.
this season they seem to have done very well with the input of a very astute manager and his management team

As I have said before, TB and PB clearly trust the judgement of the people they put in place to make these decisions. Burke clearly made them look foolish, but it is pleasing that they have brushed that off and kept the same level of trust with the new recruitment team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Suspect you are spot on with this and CH has brought a huge amount to the club in transfer market tactics and general nouse, coupled with a very clear idea of the kind of player he wants. Happy days......as long as we hold firm and only sell if we get silly money and have at least like for like replacements

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

TB made a decision to employ Burke who used a form of statistics based analysis of potential players that has been very successfully used in other sports and one that Brentford are now using.

TB chose Burke and the system, either one or both of them didn't work for us, TB recognised his mistake and has corrected it. It has nothing to do with a steep learning curve

What about before Burke and the system were employed? We did very well in the transfer market then.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
TB made a decision to employ Burke who used a form of statistics based analysis of potential players that has been very successfully used in other sports and one that Brentford are now using.

TB chose Burke and the system, either one or both of them didn't work for us, TB recognised his mistake and has corrected it. It has nothing to do with a steep learning curve

What about before Burke and the system were employed? We did very well in the transfer market then.

I think TB put Burke in to distance himself from Gus.

Before Burke it would just be Bloom and Gus doing the dealing and it's not hard to imagine Gus doing a lot of manipulating and being hard to work with. The big test was Murray and cost of CMS, so Poyet failed to be trusted with his judgment. If Bloom couldn’t trust Poyet who could he trust? Therefore he would have needed a third opinion. Step in the DOF.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

steep learning curve is that they have learned from their mistakes
we all do I hope
remembering a boy I had in an under12 team who had been run over by a motorbike broken both legs and came to us recovering, he was awkward to say the least but trained well, the season started and I had him down as sub, and as usual one boy did not turn up C/F as it happened very reluctantly I put him on, he scored three(3) goals by halftime one left, one right, and one with his head against a very good team, that taught me a valuable lesson, statistics mean **** all and loyalty and passion for the game mean more than statistics at grass roots level anyway.
I would love to speak to Grabban and ask him why he did not sign for us.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
With Rea looking likely to go out on loan, IF Dunk went would be looking at bringing in ANOTHER centre back? You need 2 players in every position to have a competitive squad and selling Dunk would leave us one short of that..

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
Assuming Dunk is still with us on Saturday do you think he'd start or be on the bench again?
Hughton has again claimed that he remains very committed but has benched him 3 games on the trot - is this just manager talk for "he's leaving but we don't want to announce it yet" ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it were used in isolation, I'd imagine it's a nightmare, but used with decent football knowledge I think it's a good system.

Was Burke really to blame for our transfer market mistakes? The worst mistake we've made was letting Murray go, and that was probably Gus's fault. CMS was a costly mistake (again, probably Gus's fault), but that was partly due to his injury, which he didn't recover from.

remembering a boy I had in an under12 team who had been run over by a motorbike broken both legs and came to us recovering, he was awkward to say the least but trained well, the season started and I had him down as sub, and as usual one boy did not turn up C/F as it happened very reluctantly I put him on, he scored three(3) goals by halftime one left, one right, and one with his head against a very good team, that taught me a valuable lesson, statistics mean **** all and loyalty and passion for the game mean more than statistics at grass roots level anyway.
I've no idea where statistics come into that little tale. Was he not just better than the other players?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Newcastle, possibly Everton interested. Fulham can give a little more if they really want him, and if Dunk doesn't go, we have kept hold of a superb young player. Well done Bloom!

Exactly. The CB merry-go-round hasn't even begun yet (although it might not happen). Stones to Chelsea for £40m [£40m!] will get it going. By which point, Dunk will be worth at least £20m.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If it were used in isolation, I'd imagine it's a nightmare, but used with decent football knowledge I think it's a good system.

Was Burke really to blame for our transfer market mistakes? The worst mistake we've made was letting Murray go, and that was probably Gus's fault. CMS was a costly mistake (again, probably Gus's fault), but that was partly due to his injury, which he didn't recover from.

I've no idea where statistics come into that little tale. Was he not just better than the other players?[/QUOTE]

scored no goals in pre-season whareas the C/F had scored quite a few(I cannot remember now but more that 10) statistics said he was very unlikely to score ....................................he went on to score about 40 goals that season

EDIT that can of coarse happen in the reverse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports