Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton reject £5million for Dunk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I've ever seen Brighton conduct themselves so well in a transfer window. We've made some excellent first team signings in Bong, Murphy and Hemed. A couple that will literally be chomping at the bit in Rosenior, Uwe, Goldson and Mäenpää. A couple of exciting youngsters in Harper and Hambo, and an experience pro with tons of Premiership experience in club-legend Zamora. Could this window get any better?

Honestly this is the best transfer window, in my opinion, since Poyet's 2010 activity. Calderon, Painter, Sparrow, Barnes, Kishishev, and Greer.

Well played Brighton, well played.

Agreed. So.....was Burke actually, possibly, not that good? Or is it more complex that pinning it on one person?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If we wanted to keep him, we'd be playing him.
Like Leo last year Tony has learnt from Levy re 'waiting' like an auction the bids go up not down and they know there is another player
My source confirms the figures quoted & that he's has bought a bigger wallet

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I believe the figures have come from the Dunk camp.

I also know that should the Albion succeed in renegotiating his contract in order to keep him it will be, and I quote, "expensive!"

Would they be trustworthy, or could it be a bit of a figure jiggery pokery (£6k being a basic wage we give him after tax, and the £20k Fulham are supposedly offering is pre-tax and includes appearance, win, and goal bonus all of them on the basis they play two matches that week in both of which he scores and they win, and he makes several bonus promotional appearances, as well as a merchandise bonus - or similar unfair comparison) in an effort to up the offer of a new deal from Brighton or any other club that might be interested?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that having signed Hunemeier and Goldson we're in a strong position. Either:

1. We increase his salary and he stays.
2. We sell Dunk now and trouser £5mill.

If 1. and he plays well then great, if he plays badly then we still have three decent CBs to choose from and we could move him on in the January window.
If 2. we play the best 2 CBs - if Goldson turns out to be rubbish we can always get a loan in, and we'll be able to get in someone quality on decent wages because we'll have the Dunk fee.

All the while we monitor Rea and Dallison on loan to see if they are up to the job of replacing Greer when his contract ends in 2016.

The only thing that can mess this up now is injuries or if Dunk throws a hissy fit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agreed. So.....was Burke actually, possibly, not that good? Or is it more complex that pinning it on one person?

Hmm for me Burke was an unmitigated disaster off the top of my head:

Spanish Rod
Kemi
Clunge (ok there is probably a player there)
Holla (not really pulled up any trees very average)
Obika
Toko
Cog

Jury out on Ballsack but carry on how you are going and may just be worth the investment.

Stephens - yes good signing as is Stockdale.

Also according to Aspinall there were lots of players identified by scouts that Burke refused to even contemplate because they were not on his database.

The fact that he paid for it with his job says everything.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

More complex, I think. Sheer speculation, but I think it went something like this: OG's resignation kippered the planning phase for transfers so we ended only with Stockdale, COG and the mysterious Toko as early signings. SH was given time to consider what he wanted and appears either to not have expressed any view on who he wanted or his targets were NA/too expensive. By this time Burke was behind curve; Baldock took ages to land making decisions on others difficult so we simply ran out of decent options. Burke was probably not that good as well...

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I may have missed this but has Dunk actually expressed a desire to go or is it just Fulham trying to get him?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Give him half e.g 12k/15k that we know COG is on and guarantee to sell him the summer if clubs are still interested. Which if he carries on the way he is then there will be no shortage of suitors and someone better than effing Fulham.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sign him up on a new deal and in the team for Saturday.

We can then concentrate on bringing in the #17, #19, and #21, and offloading ( at least ) Colunga.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
TV money and a Parachute for how many years now?

With Ream now signed for Fulham (thought to be for the dosh), where does that leave Shaun Hutchinson* if they sign Dunk (must be a high wedge)? Dunk would want at least as much in wages so it might be a big increase?

My guess was Dunk was on £9K a week at the Albion. If he is on less there might be a case for an increase to £9K.

*Who cares but there is not that much difference in the two players ???

PS: If we got promoted we would need Dunk. Or else we would have to pay a premium for a replacement.

I would tend to play three centre backs away at Ipswich.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Fulham must be offering to pay Lewis a fortune,
there is no other possible reason why he would want to leave Brighton(3rd) for Fulham (21st)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Can you imagine the glee if after weeks of speculation about his attitude, the value of bids, wage hikes, disbelief from some fans and resignation from others we get an e-mail:

"Breaking Transfer News! Brighton and Hove Albion are delighted to announce that Lewis Dunk has penned a one year extension on his contract, staying with his boyhood club for the next four years"

Oh, the wonder.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I may have missed this but has Dunk actually expressed a desire to go or is it just Fulham trying to get him?

My personal opinion is that he does not want to go, but is naturally keen on more money, and the club wants to cash in on £5m plus. With him going it does us a favour and him a favour and even though his heart is with us the club can't run on sentiment.

I am hoping that if he does go, he will play at the Amex one last time on Saturday so we can show our appreciation of him, because it would be sad for him if he never plays at the Amex again as a Brighton player.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Give him half e.g 12k/15k that we know COG is on and guarantee to sell him the summer if clubs are still interested. Which if he carries on the way he is then there will be no shortage of suitors and someone better than effing Fulham.

This with flipping knobs on! Other than the increase in wages, what the hell would be attractive about a move to Fulham?? I know Dunk may not have a lot of choice in the matter if we want the cash, but If I was him, I'd be gutted to leave the Albion for Shi$$y Fulham!

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand

Transfers nowadays work in such a way that Fulham would not be continuously increasing their bid without some solid knowledge that Dunk was seriously interested. How or where they get that knowledge (usually the players representatives) is I guess the difference between being charged by the FA for breach of regulations or not!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Transfers nowadays work in such a way that Fulham would not be continuously increasing their bid without some solid knowledge that Dunk was seriously interested. How or where they get that knowledge (usually the players representatives) is I guess the difference between being charged by the FA for breach of regulations or not!

They probably saw the NCS's Dunk refusing to play? thread.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
If those figures are close, then really we should at least offer to double his money and make him one of the higher paid players.
Maybe that wont be enough but I am sure we are in discussions at least on this front.

It`s about time we stopped being black mailed by players the moment a better offer is on the table for them, Dunk was happy to sign a contract he should honor it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here