Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brighton Pavilion, Labour candidate - who to vote for?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A recent member and this is just your 20th post. I predict a permanent ban within 2 months.
Indeed. Absolute ignorant horse shit written about gender and biological sex. Has he just arrived here from the 1970s? :shrug:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Seemed a bit of a shame to me. I voted Izzard as I think to overturn majority of 20k when the incumbent party is to the left of Labour would have been easier with a candidate with high name recognition. Just being the Labour candidate doesn't seem like it would be enough vs when facing overturning a Tory majority.

I also think that due to the unfortunate way the political is system is set up a high profile MP for Brighton would bring in more funding through higher media coverage etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're allowed to think what you want. I think he won't be a good MP, but neither will he be a bad MP for the very reason he won't be an MP. We shall see.
Assuming he gets elected…what’s your reason for thinking he won’t be a good MP?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
I wonder where the Palace Kunt will turn up next telling the constituents they have a soft spot for the town/city and they have their interests at heart! Stupid Kunt !

Hmm..maybe it is a palace thing ! just like Farage, with his numerous attampts to be selected as an MP - looks like edde is always going to be the Bridesmaidman and never the bride

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Someones started early on the baileys and cocktail of barbiturates.
its nearly christmas , its 32 degrees , baileys gives me heartburn, just a few beers here and half way through a bottle of premium shiraz accompanied by not a bad lump of chang.....i believe the safeway emoji must be returned.

not a bad dig though 6/10

I’m not Politics.
Yes for heaven sakes let's not bring politics into selecting an MP. What is the world coming to.

I'm looking at the very expensively produced colour leaflet from Gray dropped through my door the other day (never seen that ever done before in an internal selection in my 4 decades in the party, he's clearly got a bit of money behind him) and it's a genuine marvel how it's covered in words but doesn't contain a single policy commitment. It's just vibes -- not about doing anything, for anyone

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Oh dear. Clueless. Inaccurate. Transphobic.

You seem nice 👍

Just out of interest, how do you check people entering a female toilet for “cock and balls”. You volunteering?
Why is it always men going on about other men in female toilets ?

Surely this subject should be an issue for women to decide. If women don't want men in their toilets then men should use the men's. Simple.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
covered in words but doesn't contain a single policy commitment.
Should fit with the current Labour party very well indeed then.

And as long as he follows a couple of simple rules:

1: Don't upset Rupert Murdoch, Private Equity, Mumsnet or anyone wealthy.
2. See (1) above.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Sightly OT, but what's happening to the Labour Party in Hastings?

Seems to be a lot of defections to an Independent Group.
Same as happening in numerous Labour council groups around the country, it's not just Hastings, councillors are quitting in droves as they are just fed up with no democracy in the party anymore with everything stitched up in advance by Starmer's goons in the LP regional offices. In Pavilion yesterday it was just a choice of 3 Labour Party rightists with I guess Izzard possibly qualifying as soft left (tho he has appeared on rightwing NEC candidate slates in the past against the left).

I carry no water for Izzard but at least he mentioned the urgency of a ceasefire in his speech yesterday while all the others just sat there too scared to disagree with Starmer's line or utterly indifferent to the daily massacres of civilians carried by the Israeli army, take your pick could be either

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can't believe we're arguing the toss between a stand-up comedian and a guitarist for who gets to debate foreign policy, the regulation of our financial markets; long-term investment in UK business; education policy, provision and investment; the funding of critical military intelligence, pandemic planning, UK cyber security etc. etc.

I know that I certainly don't have the brain power and bandwidth to understand, debate, strategise, and take the difficult decisions required to navigate UK PLC forward, With the best will in the world, are two activists, driven more by single issue politics, best equipped to take on the rest of the world on our behalf?

I guess they could just teach the world to sing and make 'em laugh.

What has politics come to that these are the choices we are even being given. PS, Tom, Eddie, I'm sure you're lovely people and I'm sure you're both bright, but are you bright enough to be something like the CEO of a FTSE 100 company, because that's the calibre of intelligence we're looking for in the world of politics.

Now we're down to Gomez vs Berry. The latter has extensive political experience and appears to be rather clever. I hope sense prevails.

I'm not a Tory voter. Never have been. But, I wouldn't want Labour to vote in a bunch of celebrities to parliament. I want serious and intelligent MPs. If Rory Stewart was up against Eddie Izzard for example, I'd find it hard to vote for Labour.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Most MPs are there to represent their constituency and what's needed is empathy and a real desire to help. A House of Commons full of nothing but FTSE 100 CEO sociopaths sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also judging someone's ability on their celebrity is beyond daft. Not even sure who'd count the guitarist of Gomez as a celebrity in 2023 in any case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here