Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brighton Pavilion, Labour candidate - who to vote for?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Lucy Helliwell is a current local councillor I believe, and has lived in Portslade for 20 years. I'm sure if you Google you can find out what she's about and stands for. Let me know if you find any decent racist or disabled gags.

As much as I like Eddie Izzard I just think she will turn the whole thing into a circus ......through no fault of their own I should add.
Do you mean Suzy?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The fact that a well known (the most well known?) palace supporter seeks to win a seat in Brighton says it all about the process vet candidates, should it matter no but certainly a lot of people will be put off by it and that should have been considered.

Personally would prefer the greens to win as it adds a bit of balance to Parliament.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it was me, I'd go for someone normal and who has lived in the area for at least a decade.
Good point. Someone who’s just f***ing normal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd love it for Councillor John 'Boy' Hewitt to throw his hat in the ring at some point. As well as kicking Tim Hodge's electoral butt, John is the son of NSC's erstwhile favourite plumber JohnBoysDad, as well as being an Albion STH. Many people who went to Withdean will remember him well. Top lad!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd love it for Councillor John 'Boy' Hewitt to throw his hat in the ring at some point. As well as kicking Tim Hodge's electoral butt, John is the son of NSC's erstwhile favourite plumber JohnBoysDad, as well as being an Albion STH. Many people who went to Withdean will remember him well. Top lad!

I remember him. He went along to a few of the NSC football kick abouts we had a number of years back. Good to see he's doing well

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The fact that a well known (the most well known?) palace supporter seeks to win a seat in Brighton says it all about the process vet candidates, should it matter no but certainly a lot of people will be put off by it and that should have been considered.

Personally would prefer the greens to win as it adds a bit of balance to Parliament.
How the hell can 1 seat add “balance“ out of 650 seats !!!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
How the hell can 1 seat add “balance“ out of 650 seats !!!
because the current occupant of the seat shines as to how politicians should behave and puts in comment which is beyond the straight labour v tory dialogue and not tainted by SNP dogma or Liberal Democrat confusion.

If her successor is half as good as her then she will continue to outweigh the contribution of large numbers of faceless MPs of all persuasions.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'd argue that the fact that it even matters to some voters would be a bigger concern.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You wouldn't really let someone's football team count against them would you? (I'm sure you wouldn't). And at least he is a football supporter, so you have something in common.

But yeah, it looks like Pavilion Labour still want the Greens to win. I was always annoyed that since Lucas was elected Labour put up a series of patsys against her and made no real effort to get the seat back. Anyway Helliwell or Miller for me as I believe they're both local councillors.

EDIT: I'm probably being a bit unkind. There's no one local who really stands out, and I'd be delighted with either Helliwell or Miller and will happily vote for them.
Wasn't the case in 2015. If Labour hadn't put so many resources into Pavilion they might have won Kemptown. In 2017 the Greens didn't field in Kemptown, which may have been why Labour didn't push for Pavilion.

Not sure how it will turn out this time.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I personally don't think connection to an area is the most important thing. Tens of thousands of people in Brighton aren't originally from Brighton. As long as they understand the nature of the city and it's values and as long as you're satisfied the person is honest and hard working and available and will listen to constituents before voting in the commons then they will make a good MP.

Discerning who that person is before hand is tough. But some are a giveaway that they won't be.

Eddie Izzard is an interesting one. Being a Palace fan wouldn't prevent me from voting for her.
'Her'. FFS.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The Pop Star and the Celebrity Trans person have no experience in Politics, yes they shout a lot on social media and no doubt deliver a few leaflets, so for me it has to be the Cllrs who get the nod! Its an important gig being an MP not a circus !
The Pop Star has led national campaigns on fair pay for musicians, appeared in from of commons select committees, worked with MPs on developing bills, worked on Kyles reelection in 2017, harsh to say he has no experience in politics.

Plus it was only Gomez, harsh to call him a 'Star' :lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So, I've just received my online ballot to select the Labour candidate to go up against Sian Berry and I have no idea who to vote for.

The only one I've heard of is Eddie Izzard - and I'm clearly not to going to vote for a Palace supporter. But which of the other three? Tom Gray, Birgit Miller or Lucy Helliwell? I'd not heard of any of them until they appeared on the Labour shortlist. And they've been very quiet (as opposed to Eddie Izzard, who sends me text messages or emails every day).

It's a pretty uninspiring choice - have any of them done anything of note?
From someone normally a Tory voter, but not next time. Eddie Izzard is the choice in my view. I bet he will be diligent and hard working, he ain’t bloody stupid, will get plenty of media attention obviously, and will be entertaining to boot.

Last edited:

Captain Fun Boy

Nov 5, 2022
Tom Gray has integrity and lives locally and has done since 99, he loves Brighton and is an effective principled campaigner with Labour through his core, Izzard is a brill comedian but it would be a circus around her. Nothing against her/him, trans is cool but Palace fan, f*** right off.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So, I've just received my online ballot to select the Labour candidate to go up against Sian Berry and I have no idea who to vote for.

The only one I've heard of is Eddie Izzard - and I'm clearly not to going to vote for a Palace supporter. But which of the other three? Tom Gray, Birgit Miller or Lucy Helliwell? I'd not heard of any of them until they appeared on the Labour shortlist. And they've been very quiet (as opposed to Eddie Izzard, who sends me text messages or emails every day).

It's a pretty uninspiring choice - have any of them done anything of note?
Nothing wrong with voting for a Palace fan - odd to want more on politics from one but excluse another because he's affiliated with a shit club.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The Pop Star has led national campaigns on fair pay for musicians, appeared in from of commons select committees, worked with MPs on developing bills, worked on Kyles reelection in 2017, harsh to say he has no experience in politics.

Plus it was only Gomez, harsh to call him a 'Star' :lolol:
I did like Gomez for a while

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here