Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**Brighton and Hove Albion v Portimonense, in Ferreiras - Official**

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My interpretation, for what it is worth, is that if Barnes was shown a red card the FA will take it up and ban him. If nobody was given a red card the club will get done heavily with a fine for not controlling the players. Fairly certain that as the game is played under the control of EUFA and FIFA the FA will act.

I suspect all of that will be highly unlikely, but I will stand to be corrected...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
However, The FA retains the right to charge players in the most serious of misconduct cases and make sanctions applicable to competitive first-team fixtures if it is felt necessary.

So with no knowledge of the situation, you have decided that barnes was guilty of the "most serious of misconduct". I'll take a stab that some bloke in a pub told you this.

The extract from the rule you have quoted gives the FA the power to do as they so wish. If he was shown a red card and the ref reports it I would expect the FA to charge him and then he has to argue his case for not being banned.

The crux of the matter is whether or not the ref reports an individual which is highly probable to explain the fact that he felt the need to abandon the game. If not why did he take the action that he did.

Another example of the story being changed ...

Version 1:-

Naylor's version

Albion's friendly against Portimonense in Portugal tonight was abandoned in the second half after a mass confrontation.

The bust-up was sparked by an off-the-ball incident involving Albion striker Ashley Barnes and Portimonense forward Ivanildo.

Ivanildo chased after Barnes and pushed him following a challenge by the Seagulls' frontman.

All hell then broke loose. Albion boss Gus Poyet was first on the pitch to try to calm things down.

He was then joined by the rest of his players and staff, together with the entire Portimonense squad and bench.

Referee Nuno Guerbeiro marched down the tunnel with his assistants.

Albion trailed 2-0 at the time to goals by Pena just before half-time and an explosive shot by Ivanildo after the break.

Version 2:-

Albion's friendly against Portimonense in Portugal tonight was abandoned in the second half after a mass confrontation.

The bust-up was sparked by an off-the-ball incident involving Albion striker Ashley Barnes and Portimonense forward Ivanildo.

Ivanildo chased after Barnes and pushed him following a challenge by the Seagulls' frontman.

All hell then broke loose. Albion boss Gus Poyet was first on the pitch to try to calm things down.

He was then joined by the rest of his players and staff, together with the entire Portimonense squad and bench, but no punches were thrown. Referee Nuno Guerreiro marched down the tunnel with his assistants.

Albion trailed 2-0 at the time to goals by Pena just before half-time and an explosive shot by Ivanildo after the break.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The extract from the rule you have quoted gives the FA the power to do as they so wish. If he was shown a red card and the ref reports it I would expect the FA to charge him and then he has to argue his case for not being banned.

The crux of the matter is whether or not the ref reports an individual which is highly probable to explain the fact that he felt the need to abandon the game. If not why did he take the action that he did.

when the top of the hole is above your head stop digging. :thumbsup:

it seems must probable that Barnes was NOT sent off

I think your opinion of yourself is what my mum would call "having tickets on yourself". :laugh:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If, as report says, "all hell broke loose", then Gus is a God - "The reaction of everybody was great. That is the best part of all."

:bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suspect all of that will be highly unlikely, but I will stand to be corrected...

I do not wish to be pedantic but if a game is abandoned there has to be a reason and blame attributed either to an individual/s or to a team and as such the FA are duty bound to be seen to be doing right so will take some form of action.

Before there is any more pointless speculation as to whether that nice, quiet boy, Ashley Barnes, was even in Portugal this week, I suggest we wait until the Albion's Press Office, Andy Naylor and Gus Poyet have got the spin doctoring all sorted out and the final, OFFICIAL version of the event is concocted.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Before there is any more pointless speculation as to whether that nice, quiet boy, Ashley Barnes, was even in Portugal this week, I suggest we wait until the Albion's Press Office, Andy Naylor and Gus Poyet have got the spin doctoring all sorted out and the final, OFFICIAL version of the event is concocted.

.................subject to amendment of course :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Question for Gus at the fans forum

"Can we expect more of that sort of fighting spirit this season?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't quite believe Gustavo has PRAISED the team after a mass brawl. "It is hard to say it was good as we almost had a fight" sounds like he is DESPERATE to say it was good!! The man is incredible. Give him a NEW CONTRACT NOW:clap2:

What another one? How long this time?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Aren't you contradicting yourself? The first paragraph would suggest it's not about if the referee reports it, it's about if the FA "so wish to act on it". They are not, according to the abstract, obligated to, they would have to want to act.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Action from tonight

3hooligans.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here