Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**Brighton and Hove Albion v Portimonense, in Ferreiras - Official**

The Portuguese version:-

Portimonense vence (2-0) Brighton em jogo atribulado

ÁRBITRO TERMINOU A PARTIDA AOS 65 MINUTOS

O Portimonense derrotou este sábado os ingleses do Brighton, por 2-0, em jogo de preparação disputado no Parque Desportivo da Nora, nas Ferreiras (Albufeira), e que terminou aos 65 minutos por decisão do árbitro.

O árbitro algarvio Nuno Guerreiro decidiu terminar o encontro, na sequência de desentendimentos entre jogadores das duas equipas, mas sem que a sua integridade física fosse colocada em causa.

A equipa de Portimão impôs-se à equipa inglesa, com um futebol prático e ao primeiro toque, criando várias oportunidades de golo.

O primeiro tento surgiu dos pés de Peña, aos 41 minutos. O médio entrou na área pelo lado esquerdo e rematou sem hipóteses de defesa para o guarda-redes. Já na segunda parte, ao minuto 58, foi a vez de Ivanildo contribuir para a vitória da equipa de Litos.

A partida assinalou a estreia com a camisola alvinegra dos moçambicanos Hélder Pelembe e Jumisse e do sul-africano Calvin Kadi.

Portimonense wins (2-0) at Brighton troubled game

FINISHED THE MATCH REFEREE TO 65 MINUTES

The Portimonense this Saturday the British defeated Brighton 2-0 in warm-up match played at the Parque Desportivo da Nora in Ferreiras (Albufeira), and ended in the 65th minute by referee's decision .

Algarve Nuno Guerreiro referee decided to end the meeting , following disagreements between players of both teams , but without the physical integrity was called into question.

The team of Portimão confronted the English team with a football practice and the first touch, creating several chances on goal.

The first goal came from the feet of Peña , 41 minutes. The midfielder entered the area from the left side and wrapped up with no chance of defense for the goalkeeper . In the second part to the 58 minutes it was the turn of Ivanildo contribute to the team's victory Litos .

The match marked the debut of the sweater alvinegro Mozambicans and Helder Pelembe Jumisse and South African Calvin Kadi.

It woz the REFEREE wot dun it.

Página Oficial do Portimonense Sporting Clube

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Apparently according Gus they went back to their places to restart the game but the ref and his assistants were seen going down the tunnel so both clubs hardly agreed to stop the game. Once a game is started it must be completed unless there are exceptional circumstances. I would expect the ref to report the abandonment to the Portugese FA and they in turn notify the English FA.

Just a point in passing, any member of the FA Council could, if they wished, report that the game had been abandoned and they would then investigate the circumstances.

If it were an offical match that counted towards FA statistics.

This doesn't. Essentially this is no more offical than a kick about down the park.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Just back in from the game, after stopping for a few drinks on the way home.

Barnes went in late on their keeper in the first half and after that the game got a bit niggly until the incident in the 65th minute when it all got a bit silly really, ALL the players and staff from both sides were on the pitch and it was kinda hard to see what was going on.

What i did see while the game was going on was several bad tackles from their players going un-punished and Gus was very verbal towards the ref and linesman.
Once it became obvious the ref had lost control and wasnt going to do anything about it, Gus motioned to his players to get stuck in, a few minutes later the game was abandoned.

In my opinion this referee was an absolute disgrace, Gus wont say as much, he has disrepute charges to worry about, but if the ref had had words with a few players early on this game would have finished.

Anyway im off to bed now, i'll post some pics in the morning.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One on the left, I believe. Tosser. First decent pre-season for years...

nuno%2Bsergio.bmp

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
First the way they treated the McCanns, now this. Cameron should declare war immediately.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like we have a team with spirit for the 1st time since that fight in the Irish pre-season friendly years ago!!!!

The bonding seems to be working :thumbsup:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Just back in from the game, after stopping for a few drinks on the way home.

Barnes went in late on their keeper in the first half and after that the game got a bit niggly until the incident in the 65th minute when it all got a bit silly really, ALL the players and staff from both sides were on the pitch and it was kinda hard to see what was going on.

What i did see while the game was going on was several bad tackles from their players going un-punished and Gus was very verbal towards the ref and linesman.
Once it became obvious the ref had lost control and wasnt going to do anything about it, Gus motioned to his players to get stuck in, a few minutes later the game was abandoned.

In my opinion this referee was an absolute disgrace, Gus wont say as much, he has disrepute charges to worry about, but if the ref had had words with a few players early on this game would have finished.

Anyway im off to bed now, i'll post some pics in the morning.

Can't wait for our man in Portugal to post his full version. I bet the pics are of the crowd in shorts though...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Brilliant from the Argus

Flashpoint: Barnes

So sticking 2 fingers up starts a "mass brawl" does it?

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember Kevin Bremner being sent off at the Goldstone in a pre season friendly. Against Arsenal I think , circa 1987.No one got excitable and the game carried on. Bloody Europeans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The game isn't being listed in the results for pre-season games on ssn. Which is another point that suggests this match isn't going to cause waves with the FA.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The rules have changed since Lonford 2001. However all games abroad need to be sanctioned by the home FA and incidents that take place in those games need to be reported back.

In Ireland, Oatway had been sent off in a case of mistaken identity (the foul that almost decapitated the Lonford player was actually done by Melton) and after a niggly game with many attempts at violence by the home team, a falling out between two albion players (both subbed), and fistycuffs following the melton 'tackle' it was the final straw and Adams took his team off and the ref then claimed he'd abandoned it. At which point the Longford players then started to chase Oatway (who was by now near the tunnel) into the dressing room.

The FA agreed to the sending off and gave Oatway a ban. The club decided it wasn't the done thing to do to appeal given that the club got off lightly given the other incidents.

With no apparent sending off here, let's hope it's all done and dusted.

One other link here though, cardiff played Lonford just before we did and I believe they played this portuguese side recently too.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Brilliant from the Argus

So sticking 2 fingers up starts a "mass brawl" does it?

Well that's clearly not from last night anyway.

It's the wrong kit, and we seem to be playing Norwich there.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Well that's clearly not from last night anyway.

It's the wrong kit, and we seem to be playing Norwich there.

Bristol Rovers at the back end of last season.

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Im in an internet cafe next to our hotel over here. The ref didnt have a grip on the game at all, as he failed to tell our players to calm down after a couple of strong tackles

We were taking the game more seriously than the Port. side, and they werent pleased with us taking it physically.

For the brawl, Poyet shouted out to Barnes to calm down as he was getting in a small bargee with their defender. I was watching Barnes (as opposed to the game) the exact moment their player threw a punch at him. Poyet ran on straight away, followed by EVERY member of the Port. side. No more punches were thrown, but the ref walked off the pitch followed by the Port. side. Albion went off 10 mins later after warming down

After the game was a shambles. Taxi firms refused to send any cabs out to the ground, as they heard there was fighting. We told the police to tell the taxi firm that everything was ok, but they refused.

We started the 3 mile walk back to town, before heading into a pub, and luckily the manager phoned for 5 taxis to take the 20 albion fans back to town. Quickly ran back into the hotel to wash and change, before going down the beach to see the Wailers play, which was quality

Apologies if the above post doesn´t make much sense, but im knackered this morning!!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Im in an internet cafe next to our hotel over here. The ref didnt have a grip on the game at all, as he failed to tell our players to calm down after a couple of strong tackles

We were taking the game more seriously than the Port. side, and they werent pleased with us taking it physically.

For the brawl, Poyet shouted out to Barnes to calm down as he was getting in a small bargee with their defender. I was watching Barnes (as opposed to the game) the exact moment their player threw a punch at him. Poyet ran on straight away, followed by EVERY member of the Port. side. No more punches were thrown, but the ref walked off the pitch followed by the Port. side. Albion went off 10 mins later after warming down

After the game was a shambles. Taxi firms refused to send any cabs out to the ground, as they heard there was fighting. We told the police to tell the taxi firm that everything was ok, but they refused.

We started the 3 mile walk back to town, before heading into a pub, and luckily the manager phoned for 5 taxis to take the 20 albion fans back to town. Quickly ran back into the hotel to wash and change, before going down the beach to see the Wailers play, which was quality

Apologies if the above post doesn´t make much sense, but im knackered this morning!!

So now we understand what happened, cheers for that.
Enjoy the rest of the trip mate!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
a falling out between two albion players (both subbed)

Matt Wicks and Chippy Carpenter. I remember it. I've still got the clipping from The Sun somewhere, showing a 16-year-old me, Liz Costa, Micky Adams and Bob Booker in the carpark after the game. I'm such a sad twat.

The descriptions of what went on after the game in Portugal (taxis, town and all that) sounds a lot like Ireland actually...most of the hassle was after the game. Longford weren't the best place, I've met some double hard bastards from there since.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Matt Wicks and Chippy Carpenter. I remember it. I've still got the clipping from The Sun somewhere, showing a 16-year-old me, Liz Costa, Micky Adams and Bob Booker in the carpark after the game. I'm such a sad twat.

No, it was a great clipping. I kept it for years and then lost it.

From memory, wasn't it a double page spread on the Monday, with the headline 'And this was supposed to be a friendly', with the sub-deck 'Seagulls in a flap on day of shame'. And lots of pictures.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

The descriptions of what went on after the game in Portugal (taxis, town and all that) sounds a lot like Ireland actually...most of the hassle was after the game. Longford weren't the best place, I've met some double hard bastards from there since.

Longford's rough, no doubt about it

There were figures in the papers here the week after that it had the highest % of people who left school with just GCSE-equivalents in the entire country, something like 80%!

That was the opening game in their new stadium too, wonderful christening it got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here