Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**Brighton and Hove Albion v Portimonense, in Ferreiras - Official**

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Before there is any more pointless speculation as to whether that nice, quiet boy, Ashley Barnes, was even in Portugal this week, I suggest we wait until the Albion's Press Office, Andy Naylor and Gus Poyet have got the spin doctoring all sorted out and the final, OFFICIAL version of the event is concocted.

Like New Labour you mean?

Sounds like a good end to the tour, officials and players fighting on the pitch. Brighton have kept up there poor reputation in Portugal as those will remember who were on the last trip

Deja vu

Ireland a few years ago!:thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Aren't you contradicting yourself? The first paragraph would suggest it's not about if the referee reports it, it's about if the FA "so wish to act on it". They are not, according to the abstract, obligated to, they would have to want to act.

What I am saying is that IF the ref reports an individual I feel that the FA are duty bound to take it up and follow it through. How can the ref explain the need to abandon the game without citing at least 1 player by name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord B where did the last quote from me come from saying it will be forgotten about in the morning as I dont remember saying that or posting it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How can the ref explain the need to abandon the game without citing at least 1 player by name

well if no single individual was actually responsible for the abandonment he would not cite one single player but, more probably, the whole team (or teams) held to be responsible in his view

but clearly that would not suit your argument. Once again the words hole, digging and stop come to mind :thumbsup:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I cant see Barnes kicking off big time. He's a posh boy, more likely to sort the incident out over a cup of tea?

What I am saying is that IF the ref reports an individual I feel that the FA are duty bound to take it up and follow it through. How can the ref explain the need to abandon the game without citing at least 1 player by name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord B where did the last quote from me come from saying it will be forgotten about in the morning as I dont remember saying that or posting it.

It's a bit like me not remembering Andy Naylor saying anything about whether punches were thrown, until someone got to his message on the Argus website and tinkered with it.

These things happen.

As for your first point ... why does a referee have to explain anything? If the two managers agree that the game should stop, it surely just stops. It's a friendly.

And why would a Portuguese referee contact the FA about a game in Portugal?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How can the referee fault Barnes for the abandonment of the game? Admittedly, I wasn't there, but all reports suggest he was the victim of the incident that resulted in the incident. That his robust challenges were ruled as fair by the referee (and the FA/FIFA are loathe to overrule referees - so aren't likely to say he was wrong to get away with his challenges and so the portimonense players is not at fault).

And again, as others have pointed out, you seem to be ignoring the most recent decision on the FA's policy regarding red card's in pre-season friendlies - they don't result in league suspensions, and the FA will only increase punishment if they so wish. Not if the ref reports it, but if the FA want to because they think it is such an exceptional case.

Do you think the Ashley Barnes getting punched/pushed and then a fight starting = an exceptional case to increase a punishment on Barnes?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently according Gus they went back to their places to restart the game but the ref and his assistants were seen going down the tunnel so both clubs hardly agreed to stop the game. Once a game is started it must be completed unless there are exceptional circumstances. I would expect the ref to report the abandonment to the Portugese FA and they in turn notify the English FA.

Just a point in passing, any member of the FA Council could, if they wished, report that the game had been abandoned and they would then investigate the circumstances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really I would never believe this, is it Groundhog Day by chance Hugo ?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
He's already posted the same thread and it's already been MERGED into the OTHER thread about this!

Jimmy Grimble

Proven fact that team fights are good for squad spirit.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I do not wish to be pedantic but if a game is abandoned there has to be a reason and blame attributed either to an individual/s or to a team and as such the FA are duty bound to be seen to be doing right so will take some form of action.

I hate to be pedantic too, but I admire your faith in the FA to perform consistently!

Apparently according to Gus they went back to their places to restart the game but the ref and his assistants were seen going down the tunnel so both clubs hardly agreed to stop the game.
"According to Gus ... " ?

That story might change. Just as two stories originating from people who were at the game have already changed since they were first posted.

Could not understand why the previous posting had vanished, thought it was a technical hitch so posted again
No.

It was genuine bafflement on the part of a moderator as to why an existing thread with 300+ posts and 10,000+ views should be duplicated by another thread with just one post and 8 views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here