Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd suggest a couple of posters will tell us - 'all of them'.
While everyone else will tell us - 'none'.
I'm not even sure there's a couple :shrug:

IIRC there's not a single Brexit supporter on NSC who still posts under the same username who can or will post anything meaningful on this thread to try and defend what they supported, claimed and ultimately did.

It's the Palace coach driver syndrome - Crap all over the place, run off quickly and hope to god someone else gets the blame and takes responsibility for actually clearing up the shitstorm they left behind :dunce:

What is it RBZ says about 'balls'. The one thing you can guarantee is it will be left to the rest of us that actually have 'balls' to sort it out :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'm not even sure there's a couple :shrug:
Well there was a bloke that took great umbrage at the idea of all Brexiteers being labelled idiots a few pages back. Those are the ones that make me laugh. As if there is any semblance of "debate" still left on the issue. It's amusing how the demonstrably thick often conflate the right to express an opinion with the right to have that opinion respected.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well there was a bloke that took great umbrage at the idea of all Brexiteers being labelled idiots a few pages back. Those are the ones that make me laugh. As if there is any semblance of "debate" still left on the issue. It's amusing how the demonstrably thick often conflate the right to express an opinion with the right to have that opinion respected.
That'll be the poster who wants US States to be separate countries :facepalm:

Unfortunately it all started with a few swivel eyed loons, and some people with serious money who saw a chance to make even more money by stitching up Britain and the British people by funding the loons. Somewhere in the middle a lot of very naïve people got scammed (which I have always struggled to understand, given the information freely available to everyone :shrug: ) which has resulted in our current predicament and we're now almost back to just the swivel eyed loons.

Sadly, in the meanwhile, they they have somehow managed to take over the Government in order to make money for their funders, and to drive us into an economic maelstrom whilst blaming the EU, Immigrants, Remoaners, the Chinese, Immigrants again, the Russians, the Nurses, Immigrants (!), Unions, Wokeism, Railways, Transgender, Doctors, People on Benefits etc etc (see the previous x 3).

Much as I am tempted to say f*** 'em, this is what you voted for, I can't bring myself to do it and will try and help when (and maybe if) people finally come to their senses. I think it is imminent but I've always been an optimist :wink:

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Had to fly to Alicante on Monday. Took great pleasure in sailing through Immigration* whilst the rest of the plane had to queue to get their passport stamped. And the queue was MASSIVE. A lovely Brexit benefit - although I'm sure a good percentage of the punters in the queue blame the Spanish!

*Luckily, I have an Irish passport. [nb: In reality, I don't gloat when this happens...it's just another reminder of all the great advantages of EU membership, that we decided we didn't want]

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Some of the arrogance on this thread is breathtaking. Anyone who doesn't agree is thick etc. Need to come to their senses bla bla bla. Perfectly happy with voting leave & would do again. Doesn't make me less intelligent that I have a different opinion. You are entitled to your opinion & I don't think any less of anyone who thinks differently to me. Get over it FFS. IT'S 7 years ago!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Some of the arrogance on this thread is breathtaking. Anyone who doesn't agree is thick etc. Need to come to their senses bla bla bla. Perfectly happy with voting leave & would do again. Doesn't make me less intelligent that I have a different opinion. You are entitled to your opinion & I don't think any less of anyone who thinks differently to me. Get over it FFS. IT'S 7 years ago!
It's not 7 years ago.

It's ongoing. It will continue to be a topic in this country for decades.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
It's not 7 years ago.

It's ongoing. It will continue to be a topic in this country for decades.
Pretty sure 2016 is 7 years ago but then again I'm too thick to be sure I guess. It will continue to be a topic until some people can accept the result & move on I guess so you're probably right, decades!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Tellingly, Brexiters now hate to talk about Brexit. Whenever we Remoaners mention it, the standard Leaver retort is, “Get over it”, as if it were a defeat in a long-ago football match rather than an all-encompassing policy that will harm Britain for decades.

The British economy, suffering the worst fall in living standards on record, will be the worst-performing of the G20 economies except Russia this year and next, forecasts the OECD. Britain’s goods exports are the worst in the G7. Foreign investment has fallen since 2016. Despite the Brexiter promise of more money for the NHS, more than one in 10 Britons is now waiting for hospital treatment, the most since records began. Life expectancy for poorer people has fallen.

But this is all now in the past and current and we really do need to look to the future. The future is simply how much longer this economic clusterf*** is allowed to continue, and the poorest in our society going to have to endure before someone has the balls to sort it out and we re-join some sort of Customs Union. I wonder if it's time for a poll yet ???

Well I certainly didn't expect or predict that response :facepalm:

And you make such a good, fact based detailed case for your decision and us continuing down this path, that I can't see how anyone could possibly disagree with any part of your case for Brexit. Out of interest which aspect of what you voted for do you feel has delvered the biggest benefit to the British people ???

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Pretty sure 2016 is 7 years ago but then again I'm too thick to be sure I guess. It will continue to be a topic until some people can accept the result & move on I guess so you're probably right, decades!
I've not called you thick. I don't know you well enough to make that call.

I'm merely pointing out, that whilst the vote was 7 years ago, the ramifications of the vote continue to be felt. They will continue to be felt for a very long time.

Because those ramifications affect everyone in this country, regardless of intelligence and whether they voted for it or not, people will continue to talk about it.

Edit: if you don't like it, I'd suggest exiting this topic. Topexit, if you will.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I don’t think you fully appreciate that discussions like this will never be over. If (or as seems likely, when) our children vote to rejoin the EU then those who distrust the EU will continue to voice their opinions even though we’ve rejoined.

It’s not about 2016, that vote happened and nobody is talking about the vote itself. However, it’s become entirely clear that the Leave campaign significantly overstated its case. Many of those who voted for Brexit regret their decision. Opinion polls show an overwhelming swing toward those in favour of EU membership.

We’re talking about Brejoining, because continued failure to find the sunlit uplands makes that an inevitable outcome, regardless of your (or others) personal preference.

The conversation on which is best will never end, but we’ve gathered some fairly conclusive data.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I've not called you thick. I don't know you well enough to make that call.

I'm merely pointing out, that whilst the vote was 7 years ago, the ramifications of the vote continue to be felt. They will continue to be felt for a very long time.

Because those ramifications affect everyone in this country, regardless of intelligence and whether they voted for it or not, people will continue to talk about it.

Edit: if you don't like it, I'd suggest exiting this topic. Topexit, if you will.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It isn't about accepting the result and I'll hazard a guess you are not an idiot.

However, your decision in 2016 was undoubtedly misguided/idiotic unless you are either one of a tiny number of beneficiaries, your circumstances are unchanged, or are somehow into national self harm......

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I left England in 2016, I'm generally a centrist and have no dog in the fight regarding leave or remain, and didn't vote on it.

But it's very clear to see leaving the EU has had far more negative consequences than positive, and most of the 'promises' that were made leading up to the vote were lies, for political gain.

Honestly, I'd be interested to understand what benefits of leaving the EU you have observed or encountered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That'll be the poster who wants US States to be separate countries :facepalm:

Unfortunately it all started with a few swivel eyed loons, and some people with serious money who saw a chance to make even more money by stitching up Britain and the British people by funding the loons. Somewhere in the middle a lot of very naïve people got scammed (which I have always struggled to understand, given the information freely available to everyone :shrug: ) which has resulted in our current predicament and we're now almost back to just the swivel eyed loons.

Sadly, in the meanwhile, they they have somehow managed to take over the Government in order to make money for their funders, and to drive us into an economic maelstrom whilst blaming the EU, Immigrants, Remoaners, the Chinese, Immigrants again, the Russians, the Nurses, Immigrants (!), Unions, Wokeism, Railways, Transgender, Doctors, People on Benefits etc etc (see the previous x 3).

Much as I am tempted to say f*** 'em, this is what you voted for, I can't bring myself to do it and will try and help when (and maybe if) people finally come to their senses. I think it is imminent but I've always been an optimist :wink:
That's the problem - the information to Remain wasn't freely available, you had to look for it.
While you were looking the information to Leave, was clear, targeted and appealing to the lowest common denominator.

It's very easy to blame the Brexiteers for this mess - but the bottom line is they were/are leopards and they're still spotty.

We should never forget the wishy-washy 'Remain: we might as well' campaign, which was an incoherent mess seemingly centred around the belief of 'we aren't stupid, ignorant, little Englanders are we?'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It isn't about accepting the result and I'll hazard a guess you are not an idiot.

However, your decision in 2016 was undoubtedly misguided/idiotic unless you are either one of a tiny number of beneficiaries, your circumstances are unchanged, or are somehow into national self harm......

To be fair, I hadn't considered the possibility that @bazbha may be Hancock's pub landlord and landed a multi-million PPE contract, or bet a few million against sterling on referendum night when Farage 'announced' his defeat, or been part of JRM's syndicate getting money out of the UK pre Brexit, or maybe had a stake alongside Rishi's wife in 'Koru kids'.

If any of those are the case I understand completely why he would vote for Brexit, even if it could be considered a little selfish :thumbsup:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The Leave campaign took onboard Trumps campaign methods. Short sharp 3 word soundbites and shouting down anything sensible from Remain with cries of “Fake news” and “Fearmongering”. It worked for Trump and it worked for Farage, Johnson and co.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

@bazbha has made the point that he and fellow Brexit voters are neither stupid nor racist. He is also happy with the choice he made all those years ago. Fair enough. What he doesn't (can't) point to is anything positive the result has achieved. Not. a. single. thing.​

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

@bazbha has made the point that he and fellow Brexit voters are neither stupid nor racist. He is also happy with the choice he made all those years ago. Fair enough. What he doesn't (can't) point to is anything positive the result has achieved. Not. a. single. thing.​

No.

There is one thing.

It is their opinion and they have a right to it. Just because they have an opinion, it doesn’t mean that are as-thick-as-shit. We live in a democracy the last time I looked?

The facts and logic they based their opinion/vote on will surely not be disclosed but if they have had anything to do with betting against the British pound and economy with a view to them tanking, they’ll be very content indeed (and a lot wealthier than when we were in the EU) and pleased with their decision. See JRM.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
No.

There is one thing.

It is their opinion and they have a right to it. Just because they have an opinion, it doesn’t mean that are as-thick-as-shit. We live in a democracy the last time I looked?

The facts and logic they based their opinion/vote on will surely not be disclosed but if they have had anything to do with betting against the British pound and economy with a view to them tanking, they’ll be very content indeed (and a lot wealthier than when we were in the EU) and pleased with their decision. See JRM.
Thanks. I stand corrected and admit I failed to acknowledge that one thing.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here