Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do wish people would get their facts right :rolleyes:

UK plans streamlined post-Brexit border checks​

Britain, which left the EU's single market in January 2021, has delayed full implementation of border controls on several occasions because of worries about port disruption and COVID-19, and more recently the risk of adding to a cost-of-living crisis.

The new model announced on Wednesday will be backed by more than 1 billion pounds ($1.25 billion) in spending and will cut the need for physical checks "for many types of goods", a government statement said, adding that required checks will take place away from ports to prevent delays at the border.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/po...g-into-uk-be-streamlined-sky-news-2023-04-05/
I do wish some people could differentiate between a fact and a projection :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FuAm_viXwAoXBJj.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And the thing I find stunning is that this total clusterf*** is the result of Brexit's 'Top Team' being given a completely free run at it with an 80 seat majority to do exactly what they wanted in order to 'Get Brexit Done' :facepalm:

What was going to happen was always that blindingly obvious, even back in 2016, wasn't it :dunce:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And the thing I find stunning is that this total clusterf*** is the result of Brexit's 'Top Team' being given a completely free run at it with an 80 seat majority to do exactly what they wanted in order to do to 'Get Brexit Done' :facepalm:

What was going to happen was always that blindingly obvious, even back in 2016, wasn't it :dunce:
I dunno.
We are spending an extra £250,000, 000 a week on the NHS - so it's not all bad.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I dunno.
We are spending an extra £250,000, 000 a week on the NHS - so it's not all bad.
Pretty meaningless numbers, healthcare spend per capita is what counts.

The weak Vote Leave government have run out of money thanks to a combination of incompetence, corruption and misguided ideology

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And the latest plan is now to spend over a billion pounds in the next year putting in place the Import checks we kept putting off for the last 2.5 years, in order to push Food Inflation even higher :facepalm:

Even if you chose to ignore all the mountains of evidence, expert opinion and simple logic, where along the line do you think that Johnson and Farage were definitely the people to take Britain into a new economic age.

Although I guess they have managed that. Maybe those who voted for a complete economic shitstorm actually did know what they were voting for :lolol:

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The Downside Dossier just hit 1000. That's one THOUSAND Brexit downsides.....

Some of them are pretty trivial. For example, just looking at the most recent 20, one of them is that egg imports from the EU have been made harder and another is that egg imports from outside the EU are to be made easier. Putting both of those on the down marker looks like bias to me.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Reading this echo chamber is frankly disturbing.

I voted out of Europe because I’ve lived in America and seen how shambolic that looks. There are two levels of law, neither of which take responsibility.

We now have accountability. It will cost money because it will hold global businesses to a higher standard. The cost of that is immediate regulation and it will be hugely taxing but creates an opportunity for us to create a higher standard. But calling all those who voted for Brexit idiots is utterly wrong. Shame on you.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Some of them are pretty trivial. For example, just looking at the most recent 20, one of them is that egg imports from the EU have been made harder and another is that egg imports from outside the EU are to be made easier. Putting both of those on the down marker looks like bias to me.
Looking at the most recent 20? Why not look at the most recent 3? Namely # 998 where the average British worker is 1,300 quid A YEAR worse off by virtue of the UK being out of the EU. I find it interesting that your Confirmation Bias drove you to instantly search for the trivial ones and then latch on to those in an attempt to discredit the ENTIRE list. Why would someone do this rather than just acknowledge the vast plethora of evidence that Brexit has actually turned out to be the complete and total shit show that anyone with even a modicum of intelligence could have predicted from the start?

Cognitive Dissonance must be at apex levels for anyone still in support of Brexit these days. Probably why the only people still advocating it are a bunch of empty vessels walking around with their brains switched off. A coping mechanism I suppose.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I voted out of Europe because I’ve lived in America and seen how shambolic that looks. There are two levels of law, neither of which take responsibility.

We now have accountability. It will cost money because it will hold global businesses to a higher standard. The cost of that is immediate regulation and it will be hugely taxing but creates an opportunity for us to create a higher standard. But calling all those who voted for Brexit idiots is utterly wrong. Shame on you.
I don't call all those who voted for Brexit idiots; however, what they did was idiotic and I think your summary of the benefits is suitably vague that it will satisfy the small minority who either benefit or who at least are not badly effected; and your emotive language: 'echo chamber', 'disturbing' 'shame on you' says more about your attitude than anything else.

As far as I can tell, the reason why there are so few people on here who espouse your views is that they realise that they have been misled, can find no tangible benefits to Brexit but are understandably unwilling to admit to it....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You talk about accountability.
We currently have 777 members of the House of Lords, with Johnson & Truss eager to raise that number with their cronies.
All unaccountable.

The European Parliament has 705 members, all regularly elected, representing 27 different countries.
All accountable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here