Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Leaving the EU is by far the best decision the UK has made since World War 2, Labour, Conservative, CBI, farmers, fisherman, the city all now agree it opens up new and fantastic opportunities, moving from the local shopping area of the EU with its 27 customers and on to the High Street of the world is well worth any disruption, with the added bonus of not having to pay for every new road, airport, dam and bridge in Albania & North Macedonia so they can eventually afford to buy a bottle of scotch from us in 30 years time
1. Which countries can we trade with that we couldn't before ?
2. Albania and North Macedonia aren't EU members yet.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Call them what you want. But the people who give no flying either way note your intolerance and aren't going to be swayed to your way of thinking by you looking down on people as inferior.
Even though I disagree with about 90% of your posts, I can see you are one of the good guys so have no intention of having a row with you.
I appreciate that. Vice versa.

I am not trying to sway anyone at this point. Long ago I resigned myself to the fact that the idiots won. Not just Brexit but politics , in business, in entertainment, in most fields, the idiots have won. The world is theirs for the taking.

I can only navigate my way through a dystopian Hell-scape populated with flag waving wallys, the likes of Reece-Mogg, TOWIE, etc

Don’t worry, some days I don’t agree with me either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd much rather be in the EU than out of it.

However, as I've said on here before, my Company exports 100% of our products - the collapse of the £ against both the $ and € in June 2016 made our products become more competitive to our Customers.

We sold more, made more money, paid more Corp. tax and employed more people.

That was our Brexit benefit.

Of course, there's a lot more paperwork involved now - and I repeat I'd rather be in than out.
Fair enough. But a weak pound and more paperwork, on balance, isn’t a very sustainable option for the UK.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some recent perks of Brexit;

However, the tide is turning;

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some recent perks of Brexit;

However, the tide is turning;

The winners choice 🙄

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I’ve kept off this thread since the start but can now honestly say Brexit screws me every single day in every single way!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Apparently turning off the mass EU immigration tap leads to higher wages .... who knew. :moo:
Try actually reading the title of the image you just posted :dunce:

But since you're here, and in the interests of moving forward, as an ardent Unionist and campaigner for Johnson's border in the Irish sea, what do you think the Government should do to resolve the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol ?

forrest-gump-running-forrest-gump.gif

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brexit review and debate on BBC R4 now.

Great to see some healthy debate about the subject. First step on our return journey to the EU.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
While we might not rejoin the EU in full unless a party is voted in that makes their election campaign about it, it’s clear as day to everyone sane on all sides of politics that we need a Customs Union with the EU.

The joke is we were offered one, we had one, and then the Conservatives knowingly and willingly negotiated a worse deal. The economic and political self-harm could have been entirely obviated if the negotiations were being conducted by anyone with half a brain cell.

No wonder we’re looked at with a mixture of humour and pity in the international community. We took the gun, aimed carefully, and shot ourselves very precisely in both feet.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
The best (well worst really) Brexit related headline I've seen recently is than Polish and Slovenian households will be better off than the average UK household from the end of the decade. Just what Vote Leave envisaged in 2016 I'm sure :facepalm:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Sorry but I reserve the right to call people whoe voted for Brexit thick/gullible or greedy.

In spite of all the evidence telling people Brexit would not only fail to deliver what they were hoping for but would be an unmitigated disaster and leave millions of people worse off, they voted to leave.

That’s the behaviour of a thicko or someone who stands to gain from other’s suffering.

And I’ll bloody well call it how it is whether it upsets the brexity snowflakes or not.
Yep. There really is no excuse other than the adjectives you mentioned. At the time there was this misconstrued idea that there were two "sides" and both had equal merit and deserved to respected in "debates" and discussions. Stewart Lee had it right in how the thick, gullible or greedy (and don't forget the racists) would dress up their language in a vain attempt to justify their stance. Although he amalgamated being "thick, gullible and greedy" into a different word:

"I am neither a racist or a c**t, just someone with genuine anxieties about ever closer political ties with the EU".

f*** it I'll post the whole thing here. It doesn't make up for the clusterfuck that is Brexit but it offers a little catharsis nonetheless.

Last edited:

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
it called inflation.

It's odd how many of the people who support most of the public sector going on strike for big pay rises/sticking it to the Tories, never seem concerned about inflationtionary pressure .. but when people on generally lower wages finally benefit from big pay increases thanks to Brexit its a bad thing/inflationary.

Also worth remembering that the UK inflation rate is a bit lower than the EU average. Unfortunately the main causes of dramatic increases in inflation (covid/Ukraine) across Europe have masked this undoubted Brexit benefit.

It's about time we weened ourselves off a completely unsustainable high immigration, low wage, low productivity economy (y)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's odd how many of the people who support most of the public sector going on strike for big pay rises/sticking it to the Tories, never seem concerned about inflationtionary pressure .. but when people on generally lower wages finally benefit from big pay increases thanks to Brexit its a bad thing/inflationary.

Also worth remembering that the UK inflation rate is a bit lower than the EU average. Unfortunately the main causes of dramatic increases in inflation (covid/Ukraine) across Europe have masked this undoubted Brexit benefit.

It's about time we weened ourselves off a completely unsustainable high immigration, low wage, low productivity economy (y)
You completely misunderstood the graph you posted.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The best (well worst really) Brexit related headline I've seen recently is than Polish and Slovenian households will be better off than the average UK household from the end of the decade. Just what Vote Leave envisaged in 2016 I'm sure :facepalm:
There’s always some much talk about the UK bring the 5th largest economy in the world, but the reality is we’re about 25th in a GDP per capita basis. The poorer half of our nation already have living standards on a par with the former eastern block.

We’re fast turning into a middle income country with some rich people.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sorry but I reserve the right to call people whoe voted for Brexit thick/gullible or greedy.

In spite of all the evidence telling people Brexit would not only fail to deliver what they were hoping for but would be an unmitigated disaster and leave millions of people worse off, they voted to leave.

That’s the behaviour of a thicko or someone who stands to gain from other’s suffering.

And I’ll bloody well call it how it is whether it upsets the brexity snowflakes or not.
Ever since the vote I have refrained from calling Brexit voters thick / gullible, mainly because I have viewed them as victims a media largely controlled by foreign interests and didn't think it was helpful.

However, those that are still clinging to the carcuss pretending somehow this situation is in the interests of our nation must a bit thick or just lying to themselves, or in the case of some client journalists or politicians just downright devious. The latter need to held to account

The denial will subside as the older generation dies and a younger generation become less tolerant of seeing our Irish friends have all the freedoms. Until that time we will be making the best of a bad situation, this rebuild can only start with Tories gone for a decade plus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here