Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you mean we will never resolve the border chaos now we have left the EU....I disagree. We will simply have to resolve it.

it'll largely sort itself once EES (electronic "stamp") rolls out, and Brits decide rushing to catch the first ferry of the summer holiday isnt a good idea. wait a week or two, fly, etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
it'll largely sort itself once EES (electronic "stamp") rolls out, and Brits decide rushing to catch the first ferry of the summer holiday isnt a good idea. wait a week or two, fly, etc.

That makes sense :thumbsup:

Seems like we are going through the travel equivalent of buying all the bog roll at the start of Covid. I still have more than 200 rolls left. A careless spark and my shed will be up in flames.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
France have sorted it. They are adhering to the rules and regulations. The rules and regs some of us voted for.

I agree with what [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] said earlier. Voting for this kind of stuff is a shit idea that Cameron should be remembered worse than Johnson for and best left to the likes of picking the X factor winner.

Politically France were always going to score points in election year by telling the UK to do one. Equally they want our cash. If that involves employing more people to shrug their shoulders and have extensive Gitanes breaks it's surely money well spent?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tonight, both Johnson and Truss denied the chaos has anything to do with Brexit

New leader still same lies, Johnson’s legacy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tonight, both Johnson and Truss denied the chaos has anything to do with Brexit

New leader still same lies, Johnson’s legacy

I watched a bit of the debate thing but had to switch it off. They were asked a series of questions and gave simple vague “yes we will do that” or “no, we won’t do that” answers. If they’re aiming for their target voters it’s a very sad inditement of how stupid the the Tory party members are.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I agree with what [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] said earlier. Voting for this kind of stuff is a shit idea that Cameron should be remembered worse than Johnson for and best left to the likes of picking the X factor winner.

Politically France were always going to score points in election year by telling the UK to do one. Equally they want our cash. If that involves employing more people to shrug their shoulders and have extensive Gitanes breaks it's surely money well spent?

disagree with you on this, other EU member states will not do anything that jeopardises the integrity of the Union. It's the same as the German Car industry will come begging for a deal, that turned out to be complete hogwash as well. I think the French give more priority on the other side of the border which seems to working perfectly well as they have an obligation to other member state countries and ensuring EU exports are getting out on time. 3rd countries can then wait in line

From this BBC report - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/62294901

From the end of May 2023 the EU's new Entry Exit System will come into place. It will see travellers facing biometric checks before travelling to France.

The authorities at Dover fear that if the checks require travellers to get out of vehicles there could be serious disruption and delay at the port.

Also the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (Etias) visa waiver system will come into force at the same time, meaning British passport holders will have to fill in relevant forms, pay a fee and be approved before travelling to the EU.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I foolishly thought that once Brexit started to affect Leave voters where it hurts; Their fortnight in Benidorm, cost of ready meals, Daily Mail delivery etc, that they might realise they got conned. Instead it seems they are doubling down.

How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!

We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after Truth. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he has never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were (permanent) Seekers after Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment—until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. That was the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
disagree with you on this, other EU member states will not do anything that jeopardises the integrity of the Union. It's the same as the German Car industry will come begging for a deal, that turned out to be complete hogwash as well. I think the French give more priority on the other side of the border which seems to working perfectly well as they have an obligation to other member state countries and ensuring EU exports are getting out on time. 3rd countries can then wait in line

Fine to disagree, especially to the likes of yourself whose posts I agree with more often than not.

The EU is a union and needs be seen as much but I'd bet good money there's a bit going on behind the scenes. Portugal as mentioned previously encourage GBP. France isn't at the minute. There's a good debate for another thread if English tourists are complete wankers.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I foolishly thought that once Brexit started to affect Leave voters where it hurts; Their fortnight in Benidorm, cost of ready meals, Daily Mail delivery etc, that they might realise they got conned. Instead it seems they are doubling down. .
Benidorm is in Spain. I'm not aware that the Spanish are undermanning their customs posts or applying every rule as rigidly as possible? Or maybe they are, but no-one is going to Spain so it doesn't matter?

There is no doubt that Brexit has given the French the chance to apply some new rules. But there is equally no doubt that the reason for the delays is that French customs could not cope with the expected number of people trying to get into France. This problem will go away in time - either the French will get more customs officers, or they will find a way of processing people quicker, or they will ration the number of visitors, or people will get fed up and go somewhere else instead. But whatever it is, only the French can solve it, and if (as so many people believe) it is entirely down to Brexit, then there is no solution that the French can apply and cross-channel travel will have to be much restricted forever.

What's the general view on the UK's application of the rules? The UK has equally had the chance to slow down admissions by checking and stamping passports, and has chosen not to - presumably because there is no economic, social or security reason to do so. Is the UK in the wrong, or is that a valid option for a country to take?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The UK has equally had the chance to slow down admissions by checking and stamping passports, and has chosen not to - presumably because there is no economic, social or security reason to do so. Is the UK in the wrong, or is that a valid option for a country to take?

The UK's chosen not to check and stamp imported goods either because......and this is in the words of one of your Brexit poster boys.....it would be "an act of self harm". It's a smugglers paradise. And with no passport checks on people either...The UK's gonna be seeing a lot more of those illegal immigrants you love so much. Ironic really, it was supposed to be about taking back control of borders and yet the borders are now an open free-for-all. Still, you get what you voted for.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What's the general view on the UK's application of the rules? The UK has equally had the chance to slow down admissions by checking and stamping passports, and has chosen not to - presumably because there is no economic, social or security reason to do so.

To cover up the utter shit storm that is Brexit. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Benidorm is in Spain. I'm not aware that the Spanish are undermanning their customs posts or applying every rule as rigidly as possible? Or maybe they are, but no-one is going to Spain so it doesn't matter?

There is no doubt that Brexit has given the French the chance to apply some new rules. But there is equally no doubt that the reason for the delays is that French customs could not cope with the expected number of people trying to get into France. This problem will go away in time - either the French will get more customs officers, or they will find a way of processing people quicker, or they will ration the number of visitors, or people will get fed up and go somewhere else instead. But whatever it is, only the French can solve it, and if (as so many people believe) it is entirely down to Brexit, then there is no solution that the French can apply and cross-channel travel will have to be much restricted forever.

What's the general view on the UK's application of the rules? The UK has equally had the chance to slow down admissions by checking and stamping passports, and has chosen not to - presumably because there is no economic, social or security reason to do so. Is the UK in the wrong, or is that a valid option for a country to take?

If you are holidaying in Spain and you are going by ferry from the U.K. and you have chosen to drive through France to get there , as many do, you’ll be subject to French passport control.

If I am having to point out these pretty basic elements, it’s unsurprising that you haven’t grasped the more complicated aspects of the issue.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You really do talk some nonsense at times.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Whatever your views on Brexit, surely it's in France's interest to sort this as well? (from a tourism point of view I mean, trade is a different story). Portugal for instance have let UK passport holders use the e-gates recognising the amount people from the UK do their bollocks over there and prior to brexit were encouraging the well off pensioners to pitch up. After all,we don't have to holiday in France and I can't imagine there are many people rebooking the same trip for next year.

From a personal point of view I vowed never to drive to France during the school holidays via Dover long before brexit became a thing. It's always been a total nightmare.

Sorry - got to ask - what does the highlighted sentence actually mean ? Men go to Portugal to get the snip ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ah yes, they need us more than we need them! I remember when then the head of the German car industry countered this and said the integrity of the single marker was worth more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The UK's chosen not to check and stamp imported goods either because......and this is in the words of one of your Brexit poster boys.....it would be "an act of self harm". It's a smugglers paradise. And with no passport checks on people either...The UK's gonna be seeing a lot more of those illegal immigrants you love so much. Ironic really, it was supposed to be about taking back control of borders and yet the borders are now an open free-for-all. Still, you get what you voted for.

Surely this is the opposite of what many brxit voters voted for? They must be furious!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here