[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Thanks Springal, that is interesting. So why bother physically stamping passports if it is electronically stamped? Surely the system will tell the border staff if I cannot enter as I have used up my visitor from a third country allowance......

It makes it easier when being checked - by other officials I guess without immediate access to systems - to prove that you haven't overstayed. So it's peace of mind for the passport holder as much as anything else. Some countries (Spain and Portugal I think) have e-gates that British passport holders use, but it's recommended that we still get our passports stamped.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks Springal, that is interesting. So why bother physically stamping passports if it is electronically stamped? Surely the system will tell the border staff if I cannot enter as I have used up my visitor from a third country allowance......

So you know and have a record. Useful if applying for visas and they want a list of all travel for the last 5 years including entry and exit dates

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It makes it easier when being checked - by other officials I guess without immediate access to systems - to prove that you haven't overstayed. So it's peace of mind for the passport holder as much as anything else. Some countries (Spain and Portugal I think) have e-gates that British passport holders use, but it's recommended that we still get our passports stamped.

Definitely Spain - I've been through their e-Gates and they had officials who then stamped the passports.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Whilst agreeing broadly about your point that democracy must not be weakened I disagree with this bit here.

You vote for the politicians, the politicians have to make the big calls. Otherwise what's the point of them?

EDIT - see Simster has made this point as well.

also i'd like to add the point out in our undemocratic parliamentary system, MPs are "whipped" to vote in favour of the party line whether they agree or not. So you end up with the MP for Dover voting against making fire and rehire illegal, then a week later they sacked all the P&O workers.

Where's the Democracy there?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Was the Tory agenda all along to deregulate and line their the pockets of themselves, their mates and their donors? Is it that simple?

YES, yes, I honestly believe it is and was. I also believe that all the while there’s a gullible electorate, who only vote for policies which they believe favour themselves, regardless of if these manifesto pledges are ever intended to be acted upon or initiated by those who spout them, then things will never change. This is especially so because, if the right side of politics are representative of the posters from that wing which post on here then there’s no hope for the rest of us as they feast on the lies and happily swallow all the shite that is fed to them by their heroes. I despair at times !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Slightly different, but very much related question for the NSC sages...

Is the 90 days in 180 days actively monitored? By that I mean do the border police of the country you enter somehow record the date of your entry onto some kind of database? I always thought that the "scan" of the passport they do before stamping it was to check it's authenticity rather than log the details. Similarly when exiting, is a record made that makes it easy for authorities to identify overstayers at a later date. Asking for a friend, obvs....
Yes.

If you over stay you get to experience being an illegal immigrant - risking getting deported, fined and facing difficulties being let back in for a while.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ah the favourite whinge of every Brexiteer you'll ever meet. "You remoaners think we're all thick and stupid. Well you lost, get over it". I'm embarrassed for you that you think this is still where we're at.

Where we're at more accurately, is that anyone who voted Brexit and still refuses to acknowledge any of the problems that are caused by that decision, and would rather blame everybody else than come up with some answers - IS a moron. And what a lot of problems there have been. We'll ignore these trivial border issues if you like, let's talk about our EU exports being absolutely decimated, our farming and fishing industries going to the dogs or the destabilisation of Northern Ireland for which no Brexiteer ever has an answer and just blames the EU for having the temerity of wanting to enforce a Tory negotiated protocol.

I won't call anyone who voted leave a moron, but I'm not having this. You voted for this mess, it's time you rolled your sleeves up and came up with some answers to deal with issues rather than ALWAYS blaming someone else. And if you can't do that, we will absolutely need to have another referendum. This isn't going away, we're not moving on because this constant turmoil is absolute shite and most of us don't want it.
Cripes,.... the condescension is strong in this one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Cripes,.... the condescension is strong in this one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’s condescension to suggest that those who brought us here should probably drop the “everything’s peachy” act (because it isn’t) and start to provide constructive suggestions that look honestly and in good faith at how we fix some of the practical challenges Britain 2022 faces.

I’m not sure anybody’s buying the “Nothing’s wrong, this is brilliant!” hubris.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When we were in the EU, passport control only need to check the photo. In busy periods, they would wave folk through. Because, even though we weren't part of the Schengen agreement, we were a trusted member of the EU.

Not we're treated like anyone else outside the EU. Passport control have to check the photo, stamp the passport, check for other stamps (to check you haven't stayed in the EU too long), ask questions about your return etc etc.

If there are five people in a car, this takes a lot of time.

The alternative (wrong) facts published in the Daily Mail....

sak2e.jpg

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Why would the French purposefully discourage tourism from the UK in their country, which is 10% of their economy and the UK number 1 visitor in terms of number of stays?

Do people really think that France would actively choose to harm themselves because we have left the EU?!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He’s spot on.

A trip to the USA pre Brexit would have shown those claiming there would be no issue what would really happen.

Aside of Simon being totally right, he a top draw travel journalist and one of Sussex's most famous sons

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The alternative (wrong) facts published in the Daily Mail....

View attachment 150303

what has our country become, we really are a laughing stock, people who voted to take back control arguing that the French have far more control as all they have to do is underman their side and everything goes to ratshit over here

Divide and rule

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Advance warning for changeover day (Saturday) in holiday lets in Europe:

'Lazy French border control workers will be skiving off again this coming Friday and Saturday, leading to further delays for our long-suffering but stoic and uncomplaining British holidaymakers.

But trustworthy, reliable, hardworking British border control staff will turn up for work early as usual, to clear up the mess left by the French, and will stay until the job is done.'

- Jacob Rees Mogg, Cayman Islands.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When we were in the EU, passport control only need to check the photo. In busy periods, they would wave folk through. Because, even though we weren't part of the Schengen agreement, we were a trusted member of the EU.

Not we're treated like anyone else outside the EU. Passport control have to check the photo, stamp the passport, check for other stamps (to check you haven't stayed in the EU too long), ask questions about your return etc etc.

If there are five people in a car, this takes a lot of time.

When I did Harwich to Hook five years ago, we were pretty much straight off the boat into Netherlands. In May this year, it took at least 90min to get through passport control in Hook.

When we were in the EU, I had a maroon European passport. It was never checked anywhere between EU countries.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just seen tonight's news, prepare for more of this at Dover throughout the Summer Holidays with increasing volumes. Apparently this last weekend's chaos was caused by volumes of traffic still lower than the pre-pandemic levels for the same week of the year. All in hand then :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just seen tonight's news, prepare for more of this at Dover throughout the Summer Holidays with increasing volumes. Apparently this last weekend's chaos was caused by volumes of traffic still lower than the pre-pandemic levels for the same week of the year. All in hand then :shrug:

Nil desperandum, mon ami, I'm sure that our French colleagues will have picked up their socks and got their canards in a row by then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports