Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organisation spanning many different policy areas, from climate, environment and health to external relations and security, justice and migration. A name change from the European Economic Community to the European Union in 1993 reflected this."

That's from the EU's own website. They think the EEC was not the same as the EU. So do I.

https://op.europa.eu/webpub/com/eu-what-it-is/en/

Ok, so what is the problem with staying in EFTA which we joined in 1960? Remember, nobody is talking about leaving the Single Market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the hard of thinking

[tweet]1551464675711324160[/tweet]

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
We can't and won't be able to for years, potentially decades, to come.

You are right. You can see it even on this forum, where we are football fans on the same side.
We are a warring nation, and like nothing more than a good scrap, usually with ourselves.

There will be both successes and failures for Brexit along the way, which will be held up as 'see, I told you so' by both sides.
If ever we do find some common ground, we would soon find something else to argue about.

It's what makes us who we are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This "move on" business....

We "move on" when the problems are resolved.

Accepting 2nd best, accepting a reduction in life quality, just Suffering in Silence ?

Nah.

We set our sights high and aspire to better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This "move on" business....

We "move on" when the problems are resolved.

Accepting 2nd best, accepting a reduction in life quality, just Suffering in Silence ?

Nah.

We set our sights high and aspire to better.

People didn't like the Poll Tax, and protested against it. It got reversed/removed. Nobody got over it.

Btw I think this is a great analogy.

[tweet]1550800527721725952[/tweet]

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yeah again I do broadly agree.

I'm of the view that more or less every decision a politician (Government) makes has the potential to be 'huge', to have an effect on our lives. We don't have referendums for them though because we have put our faith and trust in those people to make those decisions in our best interests.

I just don't believe we should have been left to make this seismic of a decision. I was a remainer and I felt ill-informed about the decision, opting to go with the status quo. I'm comfortable enough to admit that. And if I was ill-informed then others must have been too, on both sides of it.

Personally think leaving that sort of a change to the general public was a dereliction of duty.

So in principle, you would have been happy if Boris Johnson (or any other hypothetical PM) had taken us out of the EU WITHOUT a referendum?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why isn’t he buying British?

[tweet]1551300577514102786[/tweet]

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Why isn’t he buying British?

[tweet]1551300577514102786[/tweet]

If there is a tail back at Calais, does that mean that there are not enough British Border Force officials on duty?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is Brexit to blame? Of course it is. Anyone who says otherwise is being either disingenuous or wilfully stupid. However there is also a large element of the French being, well, French in a "now look what you've made us do" kind of way. Because we left their precious club they've got all petulant and huffy and are acting like a spoilt children.

Note that I've had neither the time or indeed the inclination to have read the whole thread, just having my twopennyworth

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Slightly different, but very much related question for the NSC sages...

Is the 90 days in 180 days actively monitored? By that I mean do the border police of the country you enter somehow record the date of your entry onto some kind of database? I always thought that the "scan" of the passport they do before stamping it was to check it's authenticity rather than log the details. Similarly when exiting, is a record made that makes it easy for authorities to identify overstayers at a later date. Asking for a friend, obvs....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Slightly different, but very much related question for the NSC sages...

Is the 90 days in 180 days actively monitored? By that I mean do the border police of the country you enter somehow record the date of your entry onto some kind of database? I always thought that the "scan" of the passport they do before stamping it was to check it's authenticity rather than log the details. Similarly when exiting, is a record made that makes it easy for authorities to identify overstayers at a later date. Asking for a friend, obvs....

Yes - all logged electronically

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We can't and won't be able to for years, potentially decades, to come.

Indeed - the trade deal with the EU is due to be reviewed every 5 years (ie, first review completed by 31 March 2026). It's another opportunity for the whole issue to be opened up again and endlessly debated. I would imagine the first review process will probably kick into action shortly after the next General Election and then be subject to a huge amount of posturing (with the Daily Mail endlessly laying into any potential relaxations). The amount of time/energy/money which will have been spent on this is already incalculable - multiple tens of billions of pounds and hundreds of millions on hours, no doubt - and that will continue. What a phenomenal waste.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks Springal, that is interesting. So why bother physically stamping passports if it is electronically stamped? Surely the system will tell the border staff if I cannot enter as I have used up my visitor from a third country allowance......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks Springal, that is interesting. So why bother physically stamping passports if it is electronically stamped? Surely the system will tell the border staff if I cannot enter as I have used up my visitor from a third country allowance......

If the computers are down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here