Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I have never understood exactly what this means, although it 'trips off the Brexiters' tongues'. Perhaps you can enlighten me.....

Well, I’m about as far from being a Brexiteer as it’s possible to be but, if you think there’s any chance of our going back into any formal and closer liaison with the EU anytime soon, then I think you’re wholly deluded.

The Tories won’t do it because it would mean admitting they got it wrong. Labour won’t do it because they’re terrified of a backlash from what used to be their core support and Libdems will never be in a position to do it.

Do you seriously think the Brexiteers would re-open the debate too (see Tories rationale) and risk another referendum. Far from certain who would win, even now…….

Yes, it means ongoing friction and aggravation with trade, Northern Ireland protocol and a host of other issues but it seems inevitable that we’ll just muddle along pretty much for ever.

What’s your solution that has any chance of being enacted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, I’m about as far from being a Brexiteer as it’s possible to be but, if you think there’s any chance of our going back into any formal and closer liaison with the EU anytime soon, then I think you’re wholly deluded.

The Tories won’t do it because it would mean admitting they got it wrong. Labour won’t do it because they’re terrified of a backlash from what used to be their core support and Libdems will never be in a position to do it.

Do you seriously think the Brexiteers would re-open the debate too (see Tories rationale) and risk another referendum. Far from certain who would win, even now…….

Yes, it means ongoing friction and aggravation with trade, Northern Ireland protocol and a host of other issues but it seems inevitable that we’ll just muddle along pretty much for ever.

As I pointed out above, we can just carry on getting poorer and poorer as a nation (and seem to be quite happy to apart from moaning about the cost of living crisis) :facepalm: but the NIP won't go away, so I can see three possible solutions to the NI issue

1/ Ireland votes to leave the EU
2/ Northern Ireland votes to Leave Britain and unite with Ireland
3/ Britain joins the single Market

What do you reckon to the chances of those three ? Or maybe you have an alternative solution ?

I appreciate that you didn't want it either, but I'm afraid that you used that phrase 'need to move on'. Generally, when you've cut off one of your legs and you're halfway through sawing off the other one, it would be a good idea to find some prosthetics or maybe a wheelchair before trying to 'move on'. Or at least finish off the 'surgery' you're halfway through and try and stitch up what's left :wink:

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have never understood exactly what this means, although it 'trips off the Brexiters' tongues'. Perhaps you can enlighten me.....
It means never discuss how to solve the massive problems in this country.

Move on, don't even discuss how to fix the issues and improve our country, suffer in silence !

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I am not deluded. I just think that you need to explain what 'getting over it' actually means... For instance, do you mean 'getting over' the referendum itself? Done. Do you mean 'getting over' the economic fallout of leaving the EU? How can that be when we live with it daily and our economic outlook seems destined to be still bleaker in the future... I repeat, what do you mean by 'getting over it'?

As you counsel 'getting over it' perhaps you have some solutions for doing so......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As I pointed out above, we can just carry on getting poorer and poorer as a nation (and seem to be quite happy to apart from moaning about the cost of living crisis) :facepalm: but the NIP won't go away, so I can see three possible solutions to the NI issue

What do you reckon to the chances of those three ? Or maybe you have an alternative solution ?

I appreciate that you didn't want it either, but I'm afraid that you used that phrase 'need to move on'. Generally, when you've cut off one of your legs and you're halfway through sawing off the other one, it would be a good idea to find some prosthetics or maybe a wheelchair before trying to 'move on'. Or at least finish off the 'surgery' you're halfway through and try and stitch up what's left :wink:
1. won't ever happen so bin that.

2. Might happen at some point but it is not in Westminster's gift. No point waiting if we don't know how long the wait.

3. Very promising. Time to get Better Brexit Done !

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Well, that is certainly a lot more logical than the facile plea to 'get over it'.... and I believe it can happen.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Blimey, didn’t think I’d end up having to defend what I thought was the bleeding obvious from posters who I basically agree with i.e. that Brexit was a daft idea sold by a bunch of nutters stuck in the days of the British Empire (ok, I’m over-simplifying).

My basic point was that none of the obvious solutions to the many Brexit-related issues i.e. reverse some (or all) aspects of Brexit are even remotely likely to happen for many years, if ever, and politicians of all stripes will simply muddle along with the status quo indefinitely.

I never used the expression “get over it” anyway. I simply meant that we will need to “move on” and make do since very few people think that Brexit is much of an issue these days.

Doubt if it comes even close to comparing with Ukraine, cost-of-living, covid, partygate etc. these days as a hot topic, whether we like it or not.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Blimey, didn’t think I’d end up having to defend what I thought was the bleeding obvious from posters who I basically agree with i.e. that Brexit was a daft idea sold by a bunch of nutters stuck in the days of the British Empire (ok, I’m over-simplifying).

My basic point was that none of the obvious solutions to the many Brexit-related issues i.e. reverse some (or all) aspects of Brexit are even remotely likely to happen for many years, if ever, and politicians of all stripes will simply muddle along with the status quo indefinitely.

I never used the expression “get over it” anyway. I simply meant that we will need to “move on” and make do since very few people think that Brexit is much of an issue these days.

Doubt if it comes even close to comparing with Ukraine, cost-of-living, covid, partygate etc. these days as a hot topic, whether we like it or not.

Sorry to have put you on the defensive; it is nothing personal. In many ways I agree - Brexit was a scam financially benefitting a few at the expense of the majority but we are here now. I also agree that it is very unlikely to be reversed in the short or medium term, if ever.

However, some things can be done to limit the economic damage caused..... (please see alternatives suggested previously on this thread). While of course I realise there are other more urgent matters, your suggestion that those daily affected by this foolish act of national self harm should 'move on' (sorry I misquoted you as using the phrase 'get over it') is a circumstance many just cannot do......... because they live it.

In my opinion, making comparisons with other shocking, awful issues is foolish and adds nothing to the debate and you also forgot the most important of all - Climate Change. We have to deal with them all, not just those with those in the news headlines today.....

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Sorry to have put you on the defensive; it is nothing personal. In many ways I agree - Brexit was a scam financially benefitting a few at the expense of the majority but we are here now. I also agree that it is very unlikely to be reversed in the short or medium term, if ever.

However, some things can be done to limit the economic damage caused..... (please see alternatives suggested previously on this thread). While of course I realise there are other more urgent matters, your suggestion that those daily affected by this foolish act of national self harm should 'move on' (sorry I misquoted you as using the phrase 'get over it') is a circumstance many just cannot do......... because they live it.

In my opinion, making comparisons with other shocking, awful issues is foolish and adds nothing to the debate and you also forgot the most important of all - Climate Change. We have to deal with them all, not just those with those in the news headlines today.....

Ok. Well, I seem to have inadvertently stirred up a hornets nest here. My original post was meant to be a light hearted riposte to a previous one comparing Brexit fan boys to those Japanese soldiers of the 1970s still fighting the Second World War.

I was put in mind of this comparison by the half a dozen or so pro-EU supporters I saw outside Victoria Station yesterday. All very laudable maybe as we all seem to be agreed that Brexit’s negative consequences are rumbling on (despite being obvious from the start) but the war has been lost and no politician with any clout wants to even discuss it nowadays.

And I wasn’t making comparisons about Brexit being more or less important than the other examples I mentioned, only stating the fact that it’s simply not a hot topic.

I do agree, however, that Climate Change is far more important than all the other current issues combined. It is at least high on the agenda though I do despair of the world finding a solution until it’s too late. It clearly requires very long term planning and action, which all governments find difficult, particularly, ironically, democracies.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Ok. Well, I seem to have inadvertently stirred up a hornets nest here. My original post was meant to be a light hearted riposte to a previous one comparing Brexit fan boys to those Japanese soldiers of the 1970s still fighting the Second World War.

I was put in mind of this comparison by the half a dozen or so pro-EU supporters I saw outside Victoria Station yesterday. All very laudable maybe as we all seem to be agreed that Brexit’s negative consequences are rumbling on (despite being obvious from the start) but the war has been lost and no politician with any clout wants to even discuss it nowadays.

Thank you.
No hornet's nest, just honest exchanges....you expressed a valid view, so did I, and so did the pro-EU supporters at Victoria Station yesterday; that's democracy in action. I hope the debate will continue and that the majority do not move on from serious, vital issues that affect many people's lives......

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Thank you.
No hornet's nest, just honest exchanges....you expressed a valid view, so did I, and so did the pro-EU supporters at Victoria Station yesterday; that's democracy in action. I hope the debate will continue and that the majority do not move on from live, vital issues that affect many people's lives......

Democracy got us out of the EU, Championing a few loons at Victoria shows how out of touch you are as I've said you and others of your ilk need to stop living in a void, move on FFS

Regards
DF

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am really pleased that we are no longer associated with the EU. The EU which has paid 35bn Euros to Russia since the war started (and only about 1bn in aid to Ukraine). What's the source? Some right wing anti Brexit rag or a loon on YouTube? Nope. The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...russian-energy-eu-chief-calls-out-funding-gap

The EU is sanction busting its own bloody sanctions. Shame on them. They are undermining the work being done by our sanctions and those put in place by the US and are effectively propping up Putin and keeping him in power.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I am really pleased that we are no longer associated with the EU. The EU which has paid 35bn Euros to Russia since the war started (and only about 1bn in aid to Ukraine). What's the source? Some right wing anti Brexit rag or a loon on YouTube? Nope. The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...russian-energy-eu-chief-calls-out-funding-gap

The EU is sanction busting its own bloody sanctions. Shame on them. They are undermining the work being done by our sanctions and those put in place by the US and are effectively propping up Putin and keeping him in power.

What a bizarre view

Our government are being funded by Putin, the UK is where Russia hides all it's dirty money, The PM put a Russian Oligarch in the house of Lords (whoś father was a KGB spy) against the advice of British Intelligence, Johnson deliberately left the door open for Abramovich and 3 other Oligarchs to get their money out of the UK when other countries froze their assets immediately

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here